+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Total Avoidance

Total Avoidance

So, I am sure this has been answered before somewhere else but I can't seem to find it anywhere...if so I apologize for posting it again. I hear a lot of people talk about having a total of 102.4% avoidance, but when I add up my doge, parry, and block i'm only at around 58%...so am I missing something or am I just REALLY far away from that point? I hear people talk about mobs chance to miss me, but I don't know where to find that anywhere on my interface.

Am I blind or just...not very good yet?
    Noob Prot Pally - Armory

It's actually unhittable they're talking about, which includes block % as well, not total avoidance (which is impossible). AND block rating goes up really fast, so it's easier than it sounds.

Well, I didn't mean total avoidance i.e never being hit, but thank you for the clarification on block% My block rating is absolutely horrid at 11.3% currently...with holy shield it pops up to about 43%, would i include that percentage?
    Noob Prot Pally - Armory

The value of being "unhittable" (bearing in mind that you still get hit, but the only hits that get through are blocked) was a big deal in BC because it allowed you to not be hit with a crushing blow. The value now has all but disappeared, the only remaining use of it is to avoid things that can only proc on regular hits, not blocked hits. The place this has become valuable again is the heroic Anub (ToGC) adds.

So, miss% + dodge% + parry% + block% = 102.4% on your character sheet means a level 83 mob (raid boss) will never hit you with normal melee swings and the only damage you take will be reduced by your block.

The goal itself is not particularly significant except as described above, but reaching it may mean your gear is setup up to the point where you'll be pretty durable.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Now this is where I really feel stupid...where do I see miss% at? That's what I can't seem to find anywhere.
    Noob Prot Pally - Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Rominoodle View Post
    Now this is where I really feel stupid...where do I see miss% at? That's what I can't seem to find anywhere.
    IIRC, it's 5% base + a racial 2% (NE) + equal to your crit reduction from Defense. The only one I'm not positive about is the actual value of the base vs bosses. It may be less than 5%.

A three levels gap reduces that number by 0,6, I think. That's why against a level 83 mob, you need 102,4% miss-dodge-parry-block to cap the table. It's current value is to create an "EH buffer" against hits that can be avoided. It comes rather naturally past naxx gear and it has limited use, so paladins can generally ignore block rating.

+ Reply to Thread