+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avoidance vs Stam, Looking for improvement

Avoidance vs Stam, Looking for improvement

I have been playing a Tank for a couple of years and have always like to play my Pally Tanks a little different than the normal cookie cutter tanks you may usally see. Back in BC I had spec and geared my tank for high threat and high advoidance. with the release of WOTLK I made the adjustment as well as went back to the same thing high threat and avoidance once again. I have always forsaken the avoidance for a bit lower stamina. Reason being I have stood next to other tanks with more health than mine and watch them drop like flies while I am still standing there tanking. The bad thing is I sometimes get passed up for other tanks who have more health than mine and later hear the run did not go so well or get asked to come in and basically be the cleanup for someones raid. So my questions would be what can I do to get the higher health and what other improvements do I need to make with my Tank to get that improvement? What Enchants and gems should I change with my current gear? Is there anything I should change with in my spec?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ldum&n=Bahshea

A few things I'd do in your shoes is get Indestructible Plate Girdle, Deathdealer's Sabatons, and the Saronite Swordbreakers. I wouldn't so much worry about the Sabatons if you do ToC 25 every week. Try to get your hands on a stam trinket. If you have the Brewfest one I'd say get rid of the Valor Medal of the First War.

Deathdealer's Sabatons where might someone find these??

Sorry I'm a little retarded. I meant spiked deathdealers. Also the other 2 I mentioned are also crafted.

Spiked Deathdealers - Thottbot: World of Warcraft

What about gems? Stamina first for sure, but what next? Expertise, Hit, Dodge, or ?? ?

Quote Originally Posted by theepicmoon View Post
    What about gems? Stamina first for sure, but what next? Expertise, Hit, Dodge, or ?? ?
    Stamina comes after stamina.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Stamina comes after stamina.
    But followed closely by stamina

(don't forget the stamina + dodge/parry gem for the meta)

The armory is down but I don't think it's going to be needed. Simply put, the value of avoidance in WotLK is hugely reduced relative to TBC. Because of increased mana pools/regen tank damage has had to be made increasingly hard hitting to be even vaguely challenging, and because of that most bosses swing speeds have had to be reduced to the point where avoidance just isn't likely to save you because the spikes are what kill you.

Effective health is undisputedly king. Well - it's been disputed to death all over these forums and I'll let you search for them because I'm hungry and it's lunch time and I'm too tired to re-write what has already been written a thousand times, but you'll be best off just trusting us on this one. In TBC the stam-stacking all-other-stat-eschewing tanks were mostly being shortsighted. In Wrath, they're NOT. The stam game is a fact of life these days, especially for a paladin since we get exceptional stamina scaling through two talents, always having Sanc, and expanding the range in which Ardent Defender kicks in.

Avoidance is flukey, stamina and armor aren't. Good healers can keep you alive with enough stamina and armor, but that just doesn't apply to avoidance because avoidance counts on luck. Gear and gem for Stamina, Armor, Agility, Defense as necessary to the 540 minimum, and then strength and hit if you need the threat. That's it. it's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuraf View Post
    But followed closely by stamina

(don't forget the stamina + dodge/parry gem for the meta)
    He's a paladin. For a paladin there is zero question anymore that that purple gem should be a Shifting Dreadstone (15 stamina/10 Agility). It's 95+% as effective at reducing incoming damage through dodge and armor as a dodge gem when, plus it adds threat in the form of crit, boosts your Effective Health which, we'll reiterate ad nauseam is KING, and it smoothes out your spikes better than straight avoidance since it mixes mitigation.

it's nitpicky, but it's the best option.

+ Reply to Thread