+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Multi-target Tanking as a DK

Multi-target Tanking as a DK

Hey,

I recently started tanking on my DK and collected quite some gear already (see armory, although I got the TOC hc shoulders now instead of the blues). My def is 520 now with 28.5k HP unbuffed.
    I started out tanking some normal instances, toc normal and VH hc for a start but it turns out I'm having trouble to multi-target tank. Especially when I go HCs. In most instances trashmobs are 3-4 mobs. I start out with IT, PS, pestilence, bloodboil and howling blast but after a couple of secs I always lose 1-2 mobs to a healer eg. When this happens I'm mostly on rune-cd cos I was building threat on the mob that got focus dps, so I can use dark command but if u lose 2 mobs that wont help u.
    Anyone got any good tips on how to tank trash a dk?

Thanks already.

The World of Warcraft Armory

That's not really the most helpful comment, Lectux, nor does it have anything to do with his question. In any case, it'd be 535 that he's aiming for ATM, since he's doing heroics, not raids.

Anyway, Pabz, I'm sure some of the DK tanks around here will be able to help you out. =)

Start with DnD, it will help you alot.

First off.. in my experience, 2h Death Knight tanking has always left a lot to be desired for me. If I were you, I would get the crafted epic mace from Blacksmithing, and respec to something more like this:

The World of Warcraft Armory

IMO, get glyphs of Howling Blast, Death and Decay, Frost Strike, and Pestilence.

Your multi mob rotation should be something like DnD, HB, BB. That uses all 6 glyphs in 3 seconds, but makes enough threat where only the most amazing aoe dps will pull off of you. Also, if you can, blood tap and BB again, for even more aoe threat. HB everytime your cooldown is up, and frost strike/rune strike when you have the runic power on your primary target.

And don't worry about having the defense.. if you run with a solid healer, your gear is fine.. really. On my warrior, I have tanked heroics in my dps gear with a 1h and a shield plenty of times.. with like 21k health unbuffed. Only bosses are something of a challenge, but more health would make it a real yawner. You should work at replacing your pvp pieces though, as they are still very "meh" for tanking.

Also switching to a 2 handed weapon would allow you to use Rune of the Stoneskin Gargoyle. That will bump you up to crit immune for heroics as well as raids and give you a nice 2% stam.

As others have said opening with DnD will help alot, I know it may not do tons of damage but it produces alot of threat.

DnD > Icy Touch > Plague Strike > Pestilence > Rune Strike/Frost Strike > Blood Boil > Howling Blast.

Thanks for the advise! I noticed DnD does help a lot^^. I was wondering though why I should go for 2H. Theres a lot of discussion about DW I already read and the reason why I chose this, is cos I dont have a tanking 2h yet (do have edge of ruin) and it just looks cool^^.

Any advise on 2h weapon for tanking?

DK Tanking- AoE Threat/2H tanking weapon

Ok, So to reply to this thread, if you're wanting to try tanking with a 2H, you definitely need to get your hands on the Titansteel Destroyer made by the Blacksmiths. It isn't cheap but last it heard it was BiS for 2H tanking weapon.

As for tanking heroics not defense capped, I agree. I tanked heroics on my 80 DK with a defense from 475 on up. It was difficult for the healers, yes, BUT if you have an awesome healer... it can definitely be done. What I did was made sure when I was lfg that I warned all healers interested in going that I could definitely tank the instance but that I wasn't def capped and that I would be taking hard hits. If they were cool with it, then we went and 99% of the time, the healer could keep up through boss fights.

As for AOE threat, all the above suggested things are good ideas. When grabbing multi-targets, ALWAYS lay down DnD right as you're death gripping to you. What I do to try and keep those side targets on me is shortly after you begin fighting, tab or click target the other mobs in the group and hit them a couple times with non-aoe abilities. I have less problems with losing threat when I do that. I have 2 80-DK's that I tank with and I still occasionally have these problems, especially when high DPS do huge amounts of burst DPS. If they do pull off you anyway, use your Death Grip and/or Dark Command to get the target back on yourself. I hope this helps you out!

Just a tidbit that I didn't know where else to put... I have never DW tanked. I have always 2H tanked.

The only problem I experience now is that the CD on DnD is rather long. U cant speed things up rlly... If u have good dps the grp mobs usually goes down after 1 rotation and then u still got 15 secs CD on DnD with anxious DPS looking for the next kill... Any solutions to this?

PS Doesnt Edge of Ruin > Titansteel Destroyer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiertiana View Post
    Ok, So to reply to this thread, if you're wanting to try tanking with a 2H, you definitely need to get your hands on the Titansteel Destroyer made by the Blacksmiths. It isn't cheap but last it heard it was BiS for 2H tanking weapon.

As for tanking heroics not defense capped, I agree. I tanked heroics on my 80 DK with a defense from 475 on up. It was difficult for the healers, yes, BUT if you have an awesome healer... it can definitely be done. What I did was made sure when I was lfg that I warned all healers interested in going that I could definitely tank the instance but that I wasn't def capped and that I would be taking hard hits. If they were cool with it, then we went and 99% of the time, the healer could keep up through boss fights.

As for AOE threat, all the above suggested things are good ideas. When grabbing multi-targets, ALWAYS lay down DnD right as you're death gripping to you. What I do to try and keep those side targets on me is shortly after you begin fighting, tab or click target the other mobs in the group and hit them a couple times with non-aoe abilities. I have less problems with losing threat when I do that. I have 2 80-DK's that I tank with and I still occasionally have these problems, especially when high DPS do huge amounts of burst DPS. If they do pull off you anyway, use your Death Grip and/or Dark Command to get the target back on yourself. I hope this helps you out!

Just a tidbit that I didn't know where else to put... I have never DW tanked. I have always 2H tanked.
    Check here for a loot ranking list of sorts: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/5...loot-list.html.

Yes, edge of ruin is better than the Titansteel destroyer, as are many weapons. It doesn't have to be a "tanking" 2hander, but with a 2hander you'll be able to put SSG on it which will bump your defense up by 25 and stamina up by 2%... Of course, something with Stam/Strength/Expertise is nice.

If you want to speed things up you can pull mobs without DnD. Just tell your DPS to target the mob you mark and mark one of them. Then pull that mob and do Plague Strike > Icy Touch > Pestilence > Blood Tap > Howling Blast (if you're frost). That should establish aggro well enough for you to be able to hold on to it.

Alternate that rotation and DnD and you should be moving quickly through Heroics.

Thnx for all the helpfull replies. I decided to stick with DWing for a while though since I hit my defcapp today (540) and with the current rotations things are going pretty smooth. Its mostly getting used to it now and the fact that tanking is harder work than dps lol . A friend also adviced me to tab a lot and spam runestrike whenever possible. That helps^^.

Thanks again.

Yes, always spam rune strike... A lot of people like to macro this into their strikes:

!showtooltip plague strike
    /cast !rune strike
    /cast plague strike

Do the same thing for all of your other attacks like that (Blood Strike, Heart Strike, Obliterate, etc...). What this does is queue up Rune Strike for attack each time you press one of those strikes, so it essentially uses it every time it's available automatically for you (provided you have the required runic power, that is). The ! in "/cast !rune strike" prevents Rune Strike from canceling a cast when you use two or of these macros before Rune Strike casts.

Dont u spam PS then too much? I guess u'r priority is to keep it up but not waste an unholy rune on spamming that macro or am I wrong here?

Further more I was thinking of maybe OS unholy tank for trash. Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by JokerFMJ View Post
    Check here for a loot ranking list of sorts: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/5...loot-list.html.

Yes, edge of ruin is better than the Titansteel destroyer, as are many weapons. It doesn't have to be a "tanking" 2hander, but with a 2hander you'll be able to put SSG on it which will bump your defense up by 25 and stamina up by 2%... Of course, something with Stam/Strength/Expertise is nice.

If you want to speed things up you can pull mobs without DnD. Just tell your DPS to target the mob you mark and mark one of them. Then pull that mob and do Plague Strike > Icy Touch > Pestilence > Blood Tap > Howling Blast (if you're frost). That should establish aggro well enough for you to be able to hold on to it.

Alternate that rotation and DnD and you should be moving quickly through Heroics.

Thanks for that list. As I said, that was the last I had heard. I was off for a while, but DK tanking strategies don't change as much as the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pbz View Post
    Dont u spam PS then too much? I guess u'r priority is to keep it up but not waste an unholy rune on spamming that macro or am I wrong here?

Further more I was thinking of maybe OS unholy tank for trash. Any thoughts on this?
    That was just an example of what to do with your Plague Strike button.

So you would have them like this:

/cast !rune strike
    /cast plague strike

!showtooltip death strike
    /cast !rune strike
    /cast death strike

!showtooltip heart strike
    /cast !rune strike
    /cast heart strike

!showtooltip obliterate
    /cast !rune strike
    /cast obliterate

I have Frost Tank Spec for 5-mans and trash and a Blood Spec I use for bosses/ToC/Ulduar, etc... Sometimes I want to DPS on my DK, but oh well.

DnD, every pull - for multi-mobs, Death Grip one into DnD, the others will follow and as they approach drop HB, then BB. As you tank, don't forget to spread the love around with Pestillence and then hit BB - keeps the mobs angry.

I use DnD on every pull - why not, it's there might was well get my money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by JokerFMJ View Post
    That was just an example of what to do with your Plague Strike button.

So you would have them like this:

/cast !rune strike
    /cast plague strike

!showtooltip death strike
    /cast !rune strike
    /cast death strike

!showtooltip heart strike
    /cast !rune strike
    /cast heart strike

!showtooltip obliterate
    /cast !rune strike
    /cast obliterate

I have Frost Tank Spec for 5-mans and trash and a Blood Spec I use for bosses/ToC/Ulduar, etc... Sometimes I want to DPS on my DK, but oh well.
    There is 1 problem with these macro's or actually 2. When I use hem like that I whisper the tooltip to the last person I whispered lol. Second, when I use the macro I dont get to see the cooldown in my bar anymore. I have an addon that usually shows the CD till its rdy but cant see that anymore.

Any tips?

I prefer

#showtooltip Plague Strike
    /cast Plague Strike
    /cast Rune Strike

I suspect the ! is having a conflict with a mod elsewhere in your UI. Disabling that mod or changing the macros (above) would help..

To answer the original question, DnD/HB/BB is an ideal AoE opener. Blood Rune can be popped early to provide another BB immediately. With the HB Glyph, this does provide adequate AoE threat, with Rune Strike/Frost Strike on the focus target to hold threat.

Finally, with DW, the main issue I've seen is most 'tank' DW weapons are itemized for paladin/warrior & rather fast, while DKs favor slower weapons (similar to how rogues/shaman itemize DPS weapons). The PTR's 1H version of RotSG (1% health, 13 Defense) will help in allowing those slow DPS weapons to viable earlier for tanking.

I personally stick to 2H as those tend to have superiour attributes, especially stamina, compared to pairs of 1H weapons. The 1H mace out of H ToC may be something to consider, as the gem socket would let you sneak another 30 stamina onto the weapon, helping overcome that itemization difference if you opt to stick to DW tanking.

+ Reply to Thread