+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 230

Thread: Anub'Arak Add Tanking Guide

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by elunesbuddy View Post
    Anyone knows if parry can give as much avoidance as dodge if dodge rating is high enough?
    From the 3.2.0 patch notes
    Dodge Rating: The amount of dodge rating required per percentage of dodge has been increased by 15%. This is before diminishing returns. Combined with other changes, this makes dodge rating and parry rating equally potent before diminishing returns apply.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37
    With DR and my current gear, 10 dodge provides 0.15% avoidance whereas equal parry gives me 0.13%. I'm pretty sure you should still be gemming dodge in all cases and I question why Grafarion from vodka has a parry gem on his bracers.
    Last edited by ae0n3; 10-20-2009 at 12:41 PM.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    388
    Thank you SO much for this guide. My guild is working on Heroic TOC 25 and we are at twins. There has been so much talk about this without a real explaination (or at least one I could find).

    Thanks for taking the time to write it down for the rest of us.
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    23
    Burdened Shoulderplates - Item - World of Warcraft

    should be added to the list as well?

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3
    For your boot enchants, you did not list Cats Swiftness which gives avoidance as well as the speed increase like tuskars. Given you dont want the hp on that fight wouldnt this be the better choice?

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    From the 3.2.0 patch notes
    Are you trying to be vague, misleading, and unhelpful?

    Dodge is still better than parry for all practical applications.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    Dodge is still better than parry for all practical applications.
    No it isn't.
    Maintankadin • View topic - Some preliminary conclusions concerning avoidance in 3.2

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by ae0n3 View Post
    With DR and my current gear, 10 dodge provides 0.15% avoidance whereas equal parry gives me 0.13%. I'm pretty sure you should still be gemming dodge in all cases and I question why Grafarion from vodka has a parry gem on his bracers.
    My guess would be that he did so before he had his 272 cloak and 258 gloves, both of which have large amounts of Parry. Or when he was using a different configuation of items. With his stats excluding those two, the value is very close.

    There are a number of cases where Parry can come out ahead. Check out Xav's Armory gearset, for instance. From what I can see, Parry provides more avoidance than Dodge for him--even ignoring the impact on his Dodge Use trinket. If he replaced 3 of his Stam/Dodge gems with Stam/Parry gems, the stats would be roughly equal.

    All in all, Dodge is usually a safer bet but Parry isn't that terrible at the moment, especially in certain configurations. It's probably still best to avoid gemming it unless you know your gear is going to be stable for some time, and keep some head-room for adding Parry items without having to regem.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    785
    I'll just change it to "most" practical applications considering current itemization choices smart tanks make and gear available to 99% of players will use dodge gems.
    His post was misleading, and wrong.
    The end.

    Edit - And considering Icecrown is pretty close, it would be even more idiotic to put or change to parry gems in your gear. Being in "vodka" doesn't make you good at tanking, being in any high end guild with high end gear doesn't make you knowledgeable.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    I'll just change it to "most" practical applications considering current itemization choices smart tanks make and gear available to 99% of players will use dodge gems.
    His post was misleading, and wrong.
    The end.
    He was quoting the patch notes where Blizzard themselves said they made parry better then it had been. How can that be wrong? With the changes it is very possible to get to the point where parry would give you more avoidance then dodge. The math is in the thread I linked.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    Edit - And considering Icecrown is pretty close, it would be even more idiotic to put or change to parry gems in your gear.
    Yes Icecrown is here in a month or two. If you are gemming for avoidance why would you not use the gem that gives you the most avoidance? However it is up to each and everyone to decide how they want to optimize their gear.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    Being in "vodka" doesn't make you good at tanking, being in any high end guild with high end gear doesn't make you knowledgeable.
    I do not see why it would matter what guilds people are in. The math to optimize your gear for avoidance are there for anyone to read or prove wrong.

    However, this thread is a guide about how to tank Anub'arak adds with a full block set. For that purpose it is very important to get the most avoidance you can. While you will not gem for parry, nor dodge, it is still present on gear and can influence the gear choices you make.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojiyama View Post
    My guess would be that he did so before he had his 272 cloak and 258 gloves, both of which have large amounts of Parry. Or when he was using a different configuation of items. With his stats excluding those two, the value is very close.
    it's close, within the margin of .02%, but dodge is still better. I've worn what he's worn before the 272 cloak and 258 gloves, and there's still no reason to go parry, if ratingbuster is still accurate. i think its just a theorycrafting issue with him, he's a friend of mine =P and had parry gems on his gear during naxx/ulduar progression so im not surprised.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37
    Also, it's halloween. G.N.E.R.D.S. stacks up to 4 times for an extra 20 defense.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    Are you trying to be vague, misleading, and unhelpful?

    Dodge is still better than parry for all practical applications.
    The person asked if dodge rating is equal to parry rating. I quoted the patch notes which said dodge rating is equal to parry rating. That's all. Calm down.

    I guess he could mean after DR in gear, but I didn't read it that way. After DR parry will typically be less avoidance.
    Last edited by Rak; 10-21-2009 at 11:50 AM.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    The person asked if dodge rating is equal to parry rating. I quoted the patch notes which said dodge rating is equal to parry rating. That's all. Calm down.

    I guess he could mean after DR in gear, but I didn't read it that way. After DR parry will typically be less avoidance.
    Actually it doesn't say that parry = dodge, read it again. It says that parry now has more % per rating. It was terrible, now it's just bad. It doesn't suck AS MUCH. Just because they increase it doesn't mean it's equal to dodge. If you're at zero dodge zero parry yes, but the DRs for parry are much steeper still, just go look at rating buster in game man.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Actually it doesn't say that parry = dodge, read it again. It says that parry now has more % per rating. It was terrible, now it's just bad. It doesn't suck AS MUCH. Just because they increase it doesn't mean it's equal to dodge. If you're at zero dodge zero parry yes, but the DRs for parry are much steeper still, just go look at rating buster in game man.
    Again, it does say that the ratings are equal before DRs; "this makes dodge rating and parry rating equally potent before diminishing returns apply.". Like I said in the very post you quoted, parry is typically less avoidance than dodge after DRs.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,426
    this makes dodge rating and parry rating equally potent before diminishing returns apply.
    In fact, it does say dodge and parry are equal, using the world equally. But they do mention diminishing returns as well. So it's a complete statement.

    Just as taking the "equal" out of context makes Rak look bad, you have to read the entire post and not read things out of context to understand.

    READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    388
    A quick "nub" question. I had heard that there was a cap to the amount of block value that can be used for calculating damage for things like shield slam. Is it safe to assume that there is no cap for the amount of block value that can actually be blocked? I would hate to stack to 3k and find out that 300 of it was worthless.....
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,426
    yes, there is no block cap for how much you can block, the block "cap" is for base sbv calculations into shield slam damage.

    READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    875
    I had that discussion with a few guildies Satrina's Post here cleared things up nicely. Quoted below.

    "I heard that block has diminishing returns now?
    Your chance to block still is not subject to diminishing returns. Nor is the amount of incoming damage that you can block - you can stack that as high as you want. What has happened is that the contribution of block value to damaging abilities such as Shield Slam and Shield of the Righteous have become subject to diminishing returns. Basically, a maximum of 2760 block value will be applied to these abilities when calculating their damage. More detailed information is here: Blocking"

    Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

    http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg


  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    110
    Things to add:
    1) 'Best' in slot loot rank link:
    GuildOx - WoW Guild Progress and Loot Rankings
    Note that the weighting given to block and str values vs. avoidance are somewhat arbitrary but it is all around very useful for finding gear. The biggest flaw is not showing the old badge trinket for block value but thats about it.

    2) Night elves get an extra 2% miss that is not showing up in the macro

    3) Night elves also have shadowmeld which works wonders for phase 2. You can just shadowmeld when anub gets close to you, wait till he almost gets back to the main group and move and he will turn and chase you again.
    Last edited by Celandro; 10-22-2009 at 12:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts