+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Anub'Arak Add Tanking Guide

In regard to the Corpse Tongue Coin, actually I think it would probably be very good if it didn't drop you below the unhittable level. The value gained by the Armor proc during large bursts is probably well worth it compared to the Onyxia trinket. That much Armor is roughly the same as having about 250-280 Block Value in terms of survival. ~5700 Armor is not a small amount by any means with the mechanics as they are.
    Not to come across as rude but I cannot fathom how this is at all true. Could you post some math to back it up?
    Last edited by aderalia; 12-31-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aderalia View Post
    Not to come across as rude but I cannot fathom how this is at all true. Could you post some math to back it up?
    Rawr fully supports setting up the scenario that is present for Anub add tanking, including Expose Weakness and the like. It's easy to check this out, but as I'm not doing the math by hand I don't have anything super-handy to copy and paste.

However, the process of the add damage is such that any increases in Armor should magnify the effect of your existing Block Value. Armor should be calculated before Block is removed, and therefore you are simply chopping down the damage ahead of time for your Block to take effect.

For instance, say you are getting hit for 10,000 base and have 60% Armor. This leaves 4000 damage to Block away. If you have 2.4k Block, that's going to hit for ~5.2k (1600 * 3.25) or so afterwards.

If you had 65% Armor, that's 3500 damage to Block away, and then you're getting hit for ~3,575 afterwards. So 5% armor reduction can dramatically reduce the amount of damage you take from non-Critical Blocks by increasing the percentage of the base hit you block with your Block Value.

All of this would vary quite heavily on what gear you already have, though.
    Last edited by Kojiyama; 12-31-2009 at 12:30 PM.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

That makes sense, but are you saying that adding a 5k armor proc would be better then a static 250 block value?

That makes sense, but are you saying that adding a 5k armor proc would be better then a static 250 block value?
    No, of course not. I was merely referring to the fact that while that armor proc was up, it would be a very substantial increase in damage reduction--so if one was to spike low for whatever reason, I could see it being very valuable if you don't have to give up much for it.

In my current gearset, for instance, all I would have to do is change a couple of gems to be unhittable with that trinket instead of Onyxia Blood so if I were to get my hands on it I would probably try to use it.

But, really, it depends on how much you're giving up for it or if you are giving up anything at all based on what you currently have available.

However, given that an Anub set is typically very low on Armor due to being many lower ilevel items (I probably only have around 29-30k in my set raid-buffed), a proc of that magnitude is generally going to be pretty useful.

Obviously, though, if you feel you've got a more static set where you likely won't get spiked down that much or often, then the value diminishes a fair bit. For a starter or mid-range set, I could see it making a lot of sense though.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

Thanks for clearing that all up!

Just to get a show of hands how many are dropping below the 101.6 to pickup more block value?

Finally have a 101.6 set and with around 2600 before buffs or blocking glyph. Now to make it to raid time to actually tank the damned things

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Finally have a 101.6 set and with around 2600 before buffs or blocking glyph. Now to make it to raid time to actually tank the damned things
    Good luck!

godspeed!
    Finkill | <Rush> | US Horde | Dark Iron
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...inkill&gn=Rush

I have all the pieces

What about hit rating and expertise? are we completely ignoring these? just going to use whatever amount there is in the set?

Pretty much, there is not a lot of hit or expertise on the block heavy gear so just pickup what you can.

thanks for this great thread. today we played anub with one tank only for the first time, though having killed anub with 50 tries left with two addtanks already.

I got a question though.
    2 times I was hit by the adds unblocked, despite the fact, I'm even overcapped(103,02%). These hits dealt about 7,5k damage.

If I got this right, a hit from behind would have killed me instantly (?), so these can only be blocked hits.
    Currently I'm at 2966 blockvalue what should be enough... at least, thats what I thought...

Did any of you experience a similar situation?

2966 full buffed is quite a bit low on block value for a single add tank and you will occasionally see spikes that high.

2966 full buffed is quite a bit low on block value for a single add tank and you will occasionally see spikes that high.
    ^

That is a few hundred low fully raid buffed, and critical block procing won't block all of the damage assuming it has a high uptime and when it isn't up you will see a lot of spike.
    Finkill | <Rush> | US Horde | Dark Iron
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...inkill&gn=Rush

Hey guys,
    Finally reached the end of this long thread. I've come across a few posts detailing my current situation, so i'd like to know if there is an explanation for the following.

In my current block set i have roughly 3200 bv and i am slightly over the 102.4% cap (based on the macro set up by the OP). However, while tanking all 4 adds, i get some 4k hits (3200 blocked) and other times i get hit for 7-8k (also 3200 blocked), while sometimes i'm only hit for 2k (3200 blocked).

my bv is constantly at 3200 as my libram is up 100% of the time (yes i r pally). I understand that i should be taking more dmg than my warrior counterpart but why is the damage fluctuating at such a high degree. Our guild has yet to defeat this encounter and a lot of the problem results from penetrating cold targets dying too early in p3, yet sometimes i get back to back spikes of 6-8k blocked hits coupled with the usual 4k hits. any thoughts?

update:
    i have logged out in my current block set (still not fully farmed), but i assure you that with raid buffs/elixirs/food buffs i am at the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
    Hey guys,
    Finally reached the end of this long thread. I've come across a few posts detailing my current situation, so i'd like to know if there is an explanation for the following.

In my current block set i have roughly 3200 bv and i am slightly over the 102.4% cap (based on the macro set up by the OP). However, while tanking all 4 adds, i get some 4k hits (3200 blocked) and other times i get hit for 7-8k (also 3200 blocked), while sometimes i'm only hit for 2k (3200 blocked).

my bv is constantly at 3200 as my libram is up 100% of the time (yes i r pally). I understand that i should be taking more dmg than my warrior counterpart but why is the damage fluctuating at such a high degree. Our guild has yet to defeat this encounter and a lot of the problem results from penetrating cold targets dying too early in p3, yet sometimes i get back to back spikes of 6-8k blocked hits coupled with the usual 4k hits. any thoughts?

update:
    i have logged out in my current block set (still not fully farmed), but i assure you that with raid buffs/elixirs/food buffs i am at the cap.
    I'll start off with a few things you can do to decrease your incoming damage then try to answer that spike damage question.

If your avoidance macro is reading 102.4% you really are wasting itemization as you only need 101.6% to be capped against the add's themselves as they are not level 83+. Try dropping the 20def chant on your shield for maybe titanium plating.

Personally fully raid buffed with agi/def elixr I sit at 100% capped. This is where my answer on the spike damage may be off. I decided to drop below the block cap mark to pick up more block value. Fully buffed I sit somewhere around 4500 BV with the libram. There will be long strings of attacks that I see nothing but dodge,parry,block,miss.

Now I also do see the strange back to back hits in the 6-7k realm and the normal 2k hit etc.

I've been attributing this to the fact that occasionally I'm letting a full hit through however in retrospect I think it may very well have to deal with a number of things.

Do you have a discipline priest helping to heal you? This will change how you see incoming damage quite a bit with shields and what not. Seeing as you're sitting quite low on BV 3200 raid buffed you will be taking a lot of damage. I'm betting it's probably on par with the main tank.

I cannot give you a firm answer on the spike damage but imo it's just the fights mechanics with the stacking debuff and whatnot. You may be interested in posting at maintankadin as we've some super math heads over there that can probably give you an answer very quickly. Are you using a scrolling battle text addon that lumps multiple hits together? That's what MSBT does for me.

Not sure if it will help but here's a video link to a kill of our's. If you fullscreen it my recount is setup for damage taken and you should be able to see the incoming as well.

YouTube - Paranoia of Illidan Anub'Arak Heroic 25
    Last edited by aderalia; 01-14-2010 at 10:35 AM.

@aderalia

thank you for the reply. i'm glad to know that 101.6 is the new cap and will modify my gear accordingly. i too run msbt and i do see a long string of parry, dodge, miss, full blocks on the right side of my ui and all incoming dmg is on the left for easier visibility.

i honestly don't know which healers stay focused on me other than our holy paladin who beacons the mt and heals me. i believe i have the 20% physical dmg reduction provided by the resto shaman as well as priest shields. i will definately look into swapping out for a lot more bv gear while just barely skimming the unhittable cap.

The video helped a lot in the way you pick up adds. i didn't notice any rogues running around with tott but it may just be i missed it. i also run acheron to track hits 10 or so seconds before i died and always check to see for a 15k dmg spike to land but never seemed to find one. usually my death will have been caused by repeated 4k and 7k hits (literally 10 hits in one second) and that's what i'm hoping to reduce. thank you for the video link i found it most helpful. will be going in tonight to give it another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
    @aderalia
    The video helped a lot in the way you pick up adds. i didn't notice any rogues running around with tott but it may just be i missed it. i also run acheron to track hits 10 or so seconds before i died and always check to see for a 15k dmg spike to land but never seemed to find one. usually my death will have been caused by repeated 4k and 7k hits (literally 10 hits in one second) and that's what i'm hoping to reduce. thank you for the video link i found it most helpful. will be going in tonight to give it another shot.
    The 10 hits ranging between 4k-7k is your lack of block value, get that up and these will rapidly descend into the 2k-4k range.

You're most welcome for the video and you're right that you didn't see any rogues running out. I get MD's on the back add's from 1-2 hunter's depending on the comp for the night and rogues trick me when the adds come into range.

From watching a few other video's of pally's doing the pickup I do it quite a bit different however I'm also not running around a lot chancing an open shot to my back. So if it helps you then great! Best of luck tonight!

i also noticed you were using seal of command, was that personal preference or is there an upside over corruption? i should read up more on that.

Seal of command is insane for threat on the adds as it proc's off most of our abilities with the cleave effect. Take a look at this thread Maintankadin &bull; View topic - Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds as it is more pally specific.

I'm guessing the ranged slot for warriors is Dreamhunter's Carbine.

+ Reply to Thread