+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Algalon Tanking

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。

Algalon Tanking

well after resets my guilds gonna be working on getting to Algalon on 25 man, if we can down him it will be realm first as no one has downed him even on 10 man.

I've watched the strat video and understand the basics of the fight pretty well. I know that he attacks fast, I was thinking would unhittable set be the best to use or stam set? I was gonna try unhittable because of how fast he hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

the problem with using an unhittable tank set is that generally it doesn't produce the same amount of TPS as using a normal tank set would. and on algalon you want to have as much threat as possible.

now I haven't done algalon in a while so I could be totally wrong here, but if you are having a tank stay out for big bang I think you could possibly use an unhittable set because I think entering the 'dark realm' or what ever it's called wipes threat, if this is the case then your DPS would only have to worry about threat until the first big bang. If this is not the case then I don't think that the threat loss from being unhittable is worth it.

(edit: concerns warriors, I don't know if paladins can get a "high ilevel" unhittable set but I guess it could work.)
    Unhittable set is a big nono.
    It would decrease you effective health too much at this point. He would 2 shot you.
    An unhittable set requires quite a lot of lower level items so not only your health but also your armor suffers.

If an high level unhittable set could be made, maybe if you only lose like 4k hp it would be viable but with current gear available you would get royally owned.

Armor and stamina should be your main concern and avoidance over threat stats if you manage to stay above your dps.

Maybe a glyph of taunt.(as warrior)
    Last edited by orcstar; 10-18-2009 at 06:08 PM.

ok so EH/T is better.

10 man I did him using my dodge trinkets, which generally means I'm around 43-45k hp.
    Get a paladin to stay out for Big Bang and AD will keep them alive, however that's a one off every two minutes, and if they're too close to the boss before healers get out then they will go splat, unless they pop yet another CD.

Biggest issue in this fight is that he attacks so bloody fast, so the more HP the better.

would monarch crab be ungodly for this fight then? I got my jeweler gem and a 30stam in it .

Quote Originally Posted by orcstar View Post
    (edit: concerns warriors, I don't know if paladins can get a "high ilevel" unhittable set but I guess it could work.)
    Unhittable set is a big nono.
    It would decrease you effective health too much at this point. He would 2 shot you.
    An unhittable set requires quite a lot of lower level items so not only your health but also your armor suffers.

If an high level unhittable set could be made, maybe if you only lose like 4k hp it would be viable but with current gear available you would get royally owned.

Armor and stamina should be your main concern and avoidance over threat stats if you manage to stay above your dps.

Maybe a glyph of taunt.(as warrior)
    ^ What this guy said.

The problem with unhittable is that it's usually almost 50% block and algalon hits HARD, you would definitely get 2 shotted. Go with EHP. In 25 man before we had all the fun ToC gear I was around 47kHP buffed with about 30k armor. Our paladin did the same thing and was around 50khp when we first downed it with slightly less armor, probably around 29k.

Our pally would typically do pally shield wall for the first big bang, then AD the second, then pally shield wall the 3rd, everyone else goes in black holes.

Threat really isn't an issue, what we did is had me (warrior) pick up alg then pally taunt off me at 3 phase punch stacks then I'd pick up after then big bang again. What I did when I pulled is I'd do the initial pull with a sunder, and I'd gain enough rage while waiting for the RP that I could shield slam off the bat, we get 2 rogues to tricks + a hunter MD and we're savvy on threat for the rest of the fight, even with me in EHP gear and only like 130 hit at the time, I've tanked it with 22 hit before no problem. (between 35-42 expertise depending on the gear I was wearing). We also bloodlust pretty much right at the begining and get a shattering throw up too.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

As somebody once said, Algalon hits like two trains ( >>> truck :P) on crack. I've found a ton of stam to be the most reliable.

Avoidance is good but your healers will probably spamhealing you, castcancelling if they can and letting it go through if they're nervous. It's really easy to get splattered by his damage and no healer is going to take risks with the heals. So i'd say avoidance would be less important.

Concentrate on EH but watch total stam too (at the time we started on algalon, the new badge armor trinket gave me more EH but i had to in the end opt for more hp with the heart of iron)

Demo/Vindication is a must btw as is speed enchant on your boots

If possible, use raid-cool downs for the big bangs so the tanks can use theirs if needed. We've tended to keep our last stand / shield wall for tank-swaps where big bangs is soaked with pain suppression, guardian spirit and so forth. You can also have shadow priests soak it. It's important to remember someone has to stay outside but this some doesn't have to be the current MT.

As others have said, gear-wise I'd stack EH primarily. He hits rel. hard but also very fast. 4-piece warrior T9 is quite nice on this fight. When not main tanking you should keep debuffs on the boss and deal with adds. A Warrior is excellent at this since he can vigilance the current main-tank, get all the adds on him fast and shockwave them during big bang and thus avoiding dark holes to collapse.

Shadow priests absolutely rock for soaking Big Bang. They can soak everyone no problem at all. Just taunt quick like.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Algalon 25 downed, realm first, no one else in more then 2 pieces of ToC 10/25 man gear. Other guilds hate us.

+ Reply to Thread