+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Undergeared for H-ToC?

Undergeared for H-ToC?

Last night I was in a Heroic Trial of the Champion, the first wave was Mage/Rogue/Warrior. Now I've tanked H-ToC before and I've always killed the rogue first since she puts out the most damage, granted it's always been in a group that was well geared, dps and healer wise so we never had any issues. This was first time I've been in your average PuG where a couple of the people were undergeared.

We ended up wiping 4 or 5 times, also tried killing the mage first or the warrior first, the priest just couldn't keep me alive. Before the group broke up I received a tell that I should get better gear before I try and tank ToC, this is where I wondered if I actually do need to gear up more before I can realistically tank it.

My rotation, if it matters was always, Deathchill > Howling Blast > Obliterate > Blood Boil > Blood Boil > Rune Tap > Unbreakable Armor, Icebound would go up when I hit 60%ish this was my opening. I'd end up dying by time the target was around 20%. I'd sac my pet for 14k when I dropped low but I'd still die. DPS was fairly low, 1500 was our lowest (not me) and our highest was around 2900.

My Armory. The World of Warcraft Armory

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. If I'm just plain undergeared at the moment I'd like to know, if my rotation is off and ability use needs tweaking I'd love some advice.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I know the gloves need to go, need 6 more badges and I'll get badge gloves, which should let me drop my defense gems. Also looking to get Spiked Deathdealers and Indestructable Girdle made, but that's a bit in the future.
    Last edited by Xzanthos; 10-17-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Honestly dude i think it was your healer. If you were holding threat and dps was 2k average, toc should be a cakewalk. As long as the group executed it correctly the only reason you would wipe would be a healer. Your gear is fine. 31k UB and epic gems and chants is totally ok for HToC. IF it was a holy pally it could be a challenge considering very limited aoe healing.

As for your rotation, tanking is all about situation. Im not a dk tank expert but as a warrior there is no predefined rotation that is best. Basically you open up with abilities that most suit the encounter and help you hold aggro, thats basically it.

Check on the Platinum Mesh Cloak, too, may be an upgrade.

But it wasn't your character... Your gear and stats are more than enough for HToC...

Personally i'd take that point out of Deathchill and put it into Epidemic to extend your Blood Plague and Frost Fever another 3 seconds. Also, in HToC I usually open up with Silence on the mage, then Deathgrip on the Shammy/Warrior/Rogue depending on which one is there.

I ALWAYS down them in this order: Shammy, Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Hunter. The Mage and Hunter are the only ones I really couldn't care any less about which order they die in, but the Shammy heals for a crap ton in HToC, the Warrior's MS and Whirlwind are ridiculous and 'cause way too many healing problems, and the Rogue's poison clouds are easily avoided but the poison he puts on you isn't. Keep aggro on him to limit is ability to "share the poison" with the rest of your party.

I don't know much about healers, but you said it was a Priest, right? If I remember right, Priests are not able to cleanse poison, is this correct? If so, i'd still kill the Warrior first then worry about the Rogue... Rogue is a sissy.

You gem for parry and strength, you have the wrong sigil, you are enchanted for AP. I don't know if you logged out in solo gear or not but if that is what you tank in you need to change out the gems for stam, use tank gloves and enchant them with a tanking enchant.

You also don't have any professions, they help ALOT, at least start working on them.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do Htoc though, it is a 5 man, and a very easy one at that. The healer was probably god awful and has been getting lucky being carried by over geared groups.

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryGary View Post
    You gem for parry and strength, you have the wrong sigil, you are enchanted for AP. I don't know if you logged out in solo gear or not but if that is what you tank in you need to change out the gems for stam, use tank gloves and enchant them with a tanking enchant.

You also don't have any professions, they help ALOT, at least start working on them.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do Htoc though, it is a 5 man, and a very easy one at that. The healer was probably god awful and has been getting lucky being carried by over geared groups.
    I'm not sure which gearset was on when you checked, I was dpsing earlier, although until about an hour ago I did use the badge DPS gloves as my tank gloves, DPS was my primary spec until recently :P

As far as the Sigil goes, Virulance was at the top of the BiS thread, did I misread that?

As far as my gems go, I thought they were pretty decent except my weapon, which I also use for DPS set and PvP so I really don't want to gem it towards tanking.

I appreciate the replies, I guess maybe it was the healer.

+ Reply to Thread