+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gear Check: ToGC10.

Gear Check: ToGC10.

I've never even attempted ToGC10 on any of my characters and was wondering if some other DK tanks or tanks in general could let me know if i'm even close to what is needed.

Thanks!

WoWArmory - Wilhem.

I would advise you to get a couple more ks of hp, a second stam trinket would help greatly towards that.

I have both brewfest trinkets, one of which I would use in place of the avoidance trinket... I know my HP is a little low, sits at 34K when i'm in blood spec...

What's the suggested amount of HP for a DK Tank for ToGC 10? 36K, 38K, 40K?

Heres the basics of TOGC 10

ToGC 10 is no cakewalk.

Bare min stats:

38k UB hp
    25k armour
    540 def
    60% avoidance
    5k TPS

If you dont have those then your wating your time. To get to togc you are gonna need to be at least fully geared from ToC 10 and some from 25 man before you can start. It takes time...

I don't know much about DK tanking, but I think 38 UB HP and 60% avoidance is a bit much to be declaring as a "Bare Minimum," at least for a warrior tank. I haven't downed the beasts yet, but I've gotten through the heaviest "instagib" part, Gormok, on my warrior with 36.5k UB HP, 52% avoidance, 26k armor.

I think that really it's as much dependent on the skill and gear of your healers as it is your own skill and gear. I'd be hesitant to set a minimum bar that high.

With HoW only I have 34K, 25+K armor, 56% avoidance and 554 defense... Sadly, I don't know how much TPS I put out because I don't know how to tell... I figure if no one is pulling threat I must be doing something right. lol

I cleared all the way to H anub the first day that it was available and at the time I only had one piece of 245 gear and I don't think I had anything from 10 man TOC yet. Granted I had quite a bit of Uld gear but I think a lot of it depends on skill, how well you can rotate cds, how fast you can switch tanks, and how fast your dps can burn things like the portals and volcanos on LJ.

If I were you I would change out all the gems except for one to +30 stam. Lose the 20 expertise gem and get the pvp shoulder enchant, and use another stamina trinket. I really don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it though if you know what you are doing.
    Last edited by ScaryGary; 10-18-2009 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerius View Post
    ToGC 10 is no cakewalk.

Bare min stats:

38k UB hp
    25k armour
    540 def
    60% avoidance
    5k TPS

If you dont have those then your wating your time. To get to togc you are gonna need to be at least fully geared from ToC 10 and some from 25 man before you can start. It takes time...
    You haven't downed a single boss in HTOC and are not done with 25 man reg yet either. How can you offer advice for something that you have not done?

Why use the PvP shoulder enchant? That bit confused me.

Quote Originally Posted by JokerFMJ View Post
    Why use the PvP shoulder enchant? That bit confused me.
    Because they have 30 stamina which more valuable in ToC than 20 defense and 15 dodge because of all the damage that is unavoidable.

Ahhh, ok. But the resilience portion does nothing, right?

It lowers your chance to be crit but I doubt with all the defense on current gear that you are going to find your self going under 540 defense often.

Yeah... I was kind of going for 565 defense so I could use swordshattering.

Quote Originally Posted by JokerFMJ View Post
    Yeah... I was kind of going for 565 defense so I could use swordshattering.
    Probably better to stick with Gargoyle even then. With so much unavoidable dmg, stam > everything.

Not only that, but 25 defense is 3% avoidance. Swordshattering is what, 4%? You'd gain 1% avoidance at the cost of that stam.

Ahh, really good point. Learn something new everyday when you pay attention.

Thanks!

I just tanked ToGC10 today up to Jaraxxus. I'm a Blood tank with 35.4k hp unbuffed, about 49% unbuffed avoidance. I had no problems at all tanking Gormok, Dreadscale/worms, Icehowl. I tanked Jaraxxus and it wasn't a problem in the least. I was at 100% health or close to it probably 85% of the time. I was so confident in my healers and my own abilities that I'd go and help DPS down the portal, as that was where most of our, as well as other guilds, have problems (I'm sure this is the right way to do it and most other tanks do this too, but I wasn't sure and it's what I thought I had to do). Threat isn't really an issue with Jaraxxus and the tank that takes more damage is the one on the adds. Tanking is also my offspec but granted, it's pretty good. All in all, it depends on how you manage your cooldowns, how fast you are to react to something that happens, and, of course, your gear plays a part too. I'm sure if I was < 30k unbuffed, I probably would not have had the avoidance necessary either, which would cause me to become a bottleneck for the raid as I'd probably keep dying.

Things you want to know are when to pop your cooldowns. As a DK, I popped Vampiric Blood as soon as I got the 2nd Impale on Gormok. I barely used Icebound Fortitude as funny as that may be because I didn't get to a point where I really needed it. Of course, if we went beyond Jaraxxus, and, say, I was on Anub'arak (I'd probably be on the adds as I can do that better as a DK than most classes [death grip to permafrost, etc], and also self-heal so healers can focus on MT), I'd definitely need Icebound Fortitude (IBF). We had a pally healer on both of the tanks, a priest on the raid and tanks as necessary, as well as a druid on the raid.

Keep in mind that your DPS players are more intertwined with your own fate as tanks in ToGC than most other fights. This is because if your DPS is too low, you will take more damage as the fight progresses, burning out your healers. If your DPS is too low, you will spawn additional Mistresses which hit about as hard as Jaraxxus and silence the healers (pally healers definitely, others you play assuming they will be silenced, although it can be avoided). ...And so on.
    Keebzz - Blood Tank | Frost DPS
    Something Wicked | US Malfurion

+ Reply to Thread