+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knocking the cobwebs off muh tankface

Knocking the cobwebs off muh tankface

Ok forgive me if I sound like a newb in here, I want to get my point across and not leave a huge wall of text if I can.

Aside from my bracers being the last thing I need to replace, I have started to gear my old Prot War up to host a second raid team. It has been about a year and a half since I have tanked on anything, so I had a few random questions.

( working on replacing my blue bracers this weekend)
    I have started comparing gem choices in rawr and plan to replace alot of the rare quality ones over the weekend as well.

I'm currently sitting at:
    Health: 31,366-baseline no commanding shout
    Armor: 20950
    Def: 546
    Dodge: 23.58%
    Parry: 21.02%
    Block: 22.18%

In all epics minus my Seal and Bracers but I get laughed at even if I try to get into a heroic 5 man. Is it truly me? the state of EH and Prot Warriors? or just too many spoiled players seeing uber tanks all the time.

I keep threat just fine, I guess I just need some pointers on what I should change and if i'm able to handle Uld and TotC reg 10 man.

Your EH isn't that high and there's something i've learnt so far. It's not all about having epics. You got pretty powerful blues out there and it's all about the whole gear set. Sometimes it's worth it to get gear with a lot more def and less stamina cause u'll get that back in the re-gemming (switching def gems for stam gems).

- the bracers can be easily swapped with Bracers of Valor or with the ones that drop from OK (if you're low on tokens);
    - I would advice you to get the t8.5 chestpiece at least;
    - Epic gem at gun would be worth it since u'll take some time to replace it;
    - Keep doing daily to get t9 shoulders;
    - imho the seal is a pretty powerful trinket, replace it only by something that's actually good (not just because it's "epix");
    - Use dodge + stam gem on the gloves... benefit/avoidance will be superior;
    - Enchant your weapon;

With your gear you should be closer to 32-33k... I would seriously advise you to get epic gems (it will push you up to 32k).

Another thing is... I would also replace sarth ring with signet of the impregnable fortress (EoValor gear).
    It'll provide more stamina and def and you'll be able to replace either of these:
    -def enchant on cloak with agi enchant;
    -change axe to peacekeeper blade which will provide another socket (for +30 stam, ignore socket bonus) and a 26 stamina difference (didn't make the math but I think u'll be able to keep def cap with these changes).

Yea I tried for the Peacekeeper last weekend, this Warrior is still pretty new, I got him to 80 and worked on arms a bit since 90% of the time I am on my holy pally. I dont have my current MH enchanted b/c I am waiting for peacekeeper.

The 30 triumph shoulders are for sure on my list im almost there.

I got screwed last Sunday by getting the 8.5 helm gemming it and all that jazz. Then winning the new Ony helm 2 days later. So I am saving for the chest now lol.

As for bracers, I am trying Ok, Flame Leviathan, and I have started to collect Crusader orbs for the Totc BS bracers. Whatever one i get first will be fine with me haha.

I really appreciate the insight, back when I was tanking last there were still crushing blows and what have you. I just want to stay on point.

Thanks again for the advice.

defense to cloak is better avoidance-wise than agi to cloak, always.

There are only 2 enchants to cloak for a prot warrior, defense or armor, anything else is a mistake.

Enchant your weapon with a cheap enchant since you think you will replace it soon, tho I would not count on that, rng can be a bitch especially with items we really want (there has to be some sort of sarcasm into the way its coded).

Other than that, your HP and avoidance stats look fine, hell I was tanking ulduar25 in gear with stats inferior to yours.

About the gems.

You have 8 gems with 24 stam. if you upgrade them to 30 stam, thats a raw 48 stam gained, which results in over 500hp unbuffed.

You have a parry+stam gem, my advice is go with a full stamina gem there since you dont really need the extra 4 defense from the socket bonus. If you do feel you should gem avoidance, always use defense since it will most of the time offer the best avoidance even after DR.

Change your shoulder enchant to the gladiator inscription (pvp one), thats another 30 sta gained since the 15 defense there arent really needed and the resilience will allow you to drop defense as low as 536 and still remain uncrittable.

If you follow my advice you will net 48+18+30=96 stamina, over 1k more health unbuffed.

Yea all this tank talk at work with no wow to consume my life made me Dl RAWR on my workstation.
    I think im going to be replacing alot of my gems w/

Enduring Eye Of Zul (10 def and 15 stam)
    Regal Dreadstone (10 Dodge and 15 Stam) 2 of these for meta req it looks like.

Thats just looking into gems w/ the current setup I got, and what RAWR has shown me comparison wise by just swapping gems. I could factor in the MH, bracers, and t9 shoulders I guess too, but I just want to see what I can improve w/ what I have atm at this point.

I know I cant go by Rawr 100% but it seems to be a pretty neat app, and if EJ uses it then it cant be that bad.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    nothings wrong, a lot of people think stacking stam and having a lot of HP is the way to go these days. I find getting unhittable is more solid option then having like 49k unbuffed HP and being smacked around like a rag doll by a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Toushiro View Post
    nothings wrong, a lot of people think stacking stam and having a lot of HP is the way to go these days. I find getting unhittable is more solid option then having like 49k unbuffed HP and being smacked around like a rag doll by a boss.
    It's on a per fight basis, and it ultimately depends on what you're tanking.

If you head into H NRB with an avoidance set, expect to get a rez timer.

However, for a tank heading into Uld, I'd try to concentrate on having a good balance. You'll have some fights where you'll need a lot of HP, some where you need more threat, and some where avoidance shines better than anything.
    Taking some backup glyphs is an easy way to suppliment your gear as well, on a per-fight, per-crisis basis.

my prot paladin has passive unhittable with no buffs and around 32k HP. People may laugh at me because of low HP but I laugh at them and start linking my TotGC gear and tell them unhittable > HP for a lot of things I do. My old HP set is collecting dust in the bank.

Ok aside from the gems getting replaced and getting an enchant on the mh. I'll be doing most of that after I get to clock out and go home.

Could I atleast handle Totc 10 Reg, thats all that matters to me really.

As a GM it hurts to see a lack for a certain class or role holding a team back. So thats the main reason I went on a mad dash last weekend to get to where I am now, My 2nd team has been through alot while trying out new tank recruits and pugs. I might as well just man up and give them some smooth runs, while we try to find a solid tank to fill that void.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompya View Post

You have a parry+stam gem, my advice is go with a full stamina gem there since you dont really need the extra 4 defense from the socket bonus.

If you follow my advice you will net 48+18+30=96 stamina, over 1k more health unbuffed.
    Incase this is not apparent... he needs this gem to keep his meta active. Also, slaughtering your avoidance for stamina is not the way to go about things. The reason most tanks in togc CAN stack the stamina and get away with it is because our avoidance comes naturally from the gear.

Also, you're an engineer but you dont have the 800 armor enchant to your gloves? You'll net FAR more with that than you will the 18stam enchant you have on it now.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

it wouldn't hurt you to go back and get some naxx25 gear like last laugh and wall of terror.

Quote Originally Posted by Toushiro View Post
    it wouldn't hurt you to go back and get some naxx25 gear like last laugh and wall of terror.
    Another benefit to this is there are several block pieces you may need to collect for the future that drop only in naxx.
    I kick myself every day for selling them to vendors.

I'm a gear whore, I still have all of Tier 1 - 6 rotting in my bank unless I get one of the sets out for show when I'm bored.

when I get bored I'll tank heroics in Full Tier 6

Just a quick update from over the weekend.

I got my 10 man FL bracers, and regem'd a bit. I also enchanted my MH and GOt the webbing on my hands. It also looks like im going to sawp cloak enchants, Rawrs comparison leaves the titanweave in the dust over the armor one. It shows Flexweave Underlay in 2nd place and I love my parachute but I can pass on it lol.

Now my stats are:

31836 Baseline HP
    24.5k Armor
    551 Def
    22.73% Dodge
    19.58% Parry
    22.38% Block

I should have my T-8.5 chest and 30 Triumph shoulders by next Monday.
    Thanks for the help guys.

+ Reply to Thread