+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ulduar - Assembly of Iron

Ulduar - Assembly of Iron

Hi guys

Our guild is struggling with the Iron Council. Either myself (tanking Runemaster and Stormcaller) or our other tank (tanking Steelbreaker) dies and we can't figure out how to get this right.

Fully raid buffed we both sit at roughly 37k hp.

Here is the report from Worldoflogs.com
    Ulduar 10

I'm considering switching over to WWS as worldoflogs.com seems to have some dodgy ads with phising links on them (but they aren't always displayed so sometimes it's safe). If you don't have sufficeint protection on your pc don't go to worldoflogs.com

Mods can remove the link if they feel its necessary

Off topic: wowwiki.com seems to be having the same problem. Dodgy ads FTL

Thanks for the response Jarto. Admittedly, silences on Stormcaller was an issue on some attempts...but practice makes perfect. I know that Runemaster's shield wasn't being dispelled/purged/spellstolen. I had the pally healer on me with stormcaller and runmaster so we'll try the shaman on me this time. I think dispelling fusion punch was an issue as well.

I'll discuss all these issues with the raid again and see what we can do to better solve these problems.

Jartoo, could you edit your posts for a little more readability? Right now I find it completely unreadable.

Now, Venom, a few things.

Make sure that fusion punch gets dispelled the second it is cast. It will kill you. Also try to not have it being dispelled by a healer - after taking that fusion punch you are in need of heavy healing.

Are you guys ignoring the shield that the runemaster pops?

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Rush View Post
    Thanks for the response Jarto. Admittedly, silences on Stormcaller was an issue on some attempts...but practice makes perfect. I know that Runemaster's shield wasn't being dispelled/purged/spellstolen. I had the pally healer on me with stormcaller and runmaster so we'll try the shaman on me this time. I think dispelling fusion punch was an issue as well.

I'll discuss all these issues with the raid again and see what we can do to better solve these problems.

When I saw Steel tank dead, pala healer on you and you also had shaman and druids healer (none can dispel) it was easy to figure out. Fusion punch (3 sec cast time, around 20k inital hit and 15k-20k dot) on Steels tank will SPLAT the tank if not dispeled instantly. Since pala is healing you only god can dispel, and his often busy.

Change setup for pala to beacon you and heal Steels tank, once he sees punch casting, start spamming dispel on tank. Have people moving from green circles in p2 and collect phat lewt after.

Be wary of your healers using Grid / Decursive / Xperl / whatever to see when to Cleanse Fusion Punch from you. In my experience there's a little too much lag between these addons to get it off as quickly as you need.

The Paladin is a good choice to have healing you, though you may wish to consider asking your Druid to keep an eye on you as well as the raid during Fusion Punch, as the Paladin will be preoccupied with cleansing the debuff. Tell your Paladin to drop all healing and just spam to Cleanse button over and over again the moment he gets the big glowing hand, indicating he's casting Fusion Punch. Really hammer that button over and over in rapid succession until it causes a GCD, at which point you're clean and the Paladin can resume normal healing.

Other than that, keep interrupts up on Brundir, make sure nobody's standing in a Rune of Power (except your ranged DPS, of course), make sure people prioritise getting out of a Death Rune above finishing whatever they're casting/channeling. On Phase 2/3, Lightning Whirl is more important to interrupt than Chain Lightning, so focus on that if you can. Don't forget you can Death Grip Brundir out of a rune if he's being an arse about moving (as he often is). Keep Shield of Runes spellstolen or purged/mass dispelled the moment it goes up.

Cleansing on Steelbreaker is the most important thing to get right in terms of avoiding tank death. Lightning Whirl interrupts are the most important thing to get right in terms of avoiding raid deaths. Good luck

1st try:
    fusion punch did 2 ticks and dind't get dispelled - tank death reason.
    2nd try:
    fusion punch did 1 tick + hit dmg - didn't get dispelled and by the numbers showing there, seems like the tank wasn't full HP (i would say around -5k or so, didn't do the math).
    3rd try:
    fusion punch did 2 ticks + hit dmg - tank dead...
    4th try:
    I wonder why the hell the paladin died before the tank on with fusion punch... and Hemet died once again from fusion punch - hemet still took it like a man and the druid did a great job healing him since he got hit by fusion punch and it ticked FOUR times
    5th try:
    Once again, why did the paladin die before the tank with fusion punch? On a side note, I dunno what happened to you to get hit like a truck on the Fusion Punch hit - "Steelbreaker Fusion Punch Unruley 27070 (O: 3496)" - 30k sounds too excessive.
    6th try:
    Seems like you slowly died for lack of heals...

Advice:
    Get palas and mages to macro the steelbreaker MT for the dispell... make 'em focus the boss so they can start spamming it as soon as he starts casting. It shouldn't tick.
    I'm saying to tell mages to do that too since from what i've read (from blue posts) dispell can miss (lame yeah i know) and since DPS is usually hit capped they are less likely to fail. Better to not take chances on Fusion Punch...

I didn't look with much attention to the logs since i'm at work... but I hope this helps

EDIT: our dispellers also start casting dispel before the fusion punch lands... it's the safest way to get rid of it ASAP

Thanks Kuraf. That helps a lot. Now I can go to our raid group with something solid that should help us

EDIT:
    5th try:
    Once again, why did the paladin die before the tank with fusion punch? On a side note, I dunno what happened to you to get hit like a truck on the Fusion Punch hit - "Steelbreaker Fusion Punch Unruley 27070 (O: 3496)" - 30k sounds too excessive.
    I looked at that as well...not sure why that hit me so hard.

Forgot to mention that you should tell the pala to be careful with his aggro... he shouldn't be taking fusion punch hits... seriously...

I'll look into the 30k hit later... maybe bad luck and/or no CDs up when it landed?

I'm glad you found my answer helpful... cheers

One thing I'm confused about in your post Kuraf is the bit about mage dispels....mages can't dispel anything to my knowledge (well not since i last played one)

They can't dispel magic buffs. That's for the priests and paladins.
    As a paladin tank, personally I just spam cleanse as he's casting it so as soon as it lands it gets cleansed(You have roughly 1 second of the debuff before it ticks). Paladins of any sort can do this. If there's no pally healer or the pally healer just can't manage to both heal and cleanse you, make a ret pally do a macro with the following
    Quote Originally Posted by ezmacro
    /cast [target=yourname] Cleanse
    Hit is not an issue, cleansing debuffs on friendlies doesn't go through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Rush View Post
    One thing I'm confused about in your post Kuraf is the bit about mage dispels....mages can't dispel anything to my knowledge (well not since i last played one)
    I guess he got Mass Dispel and Remove Curse confused? I know I've made that mistake myself in the past, since I play neither class. It's not always clear what form a particular debuff has taken.

Sorry my bad regarding the mages... (i only play warrior/shammy)

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Hit is not an issue, cleansing debuffs on friendlies doesn't go through it.
    I remember reading something about hit and dispells on mmo-champion... i'll try to dig it up...

EDIT: here it is - MMO-Champion BlueTracker - Is +Hit for dps only?

99.9% positive that the huge fusion punch damage was due to Steelbreaker being on a power rune.

Ideally, the Steelbreaker tank wants to keep him moving to avoid that.

Other than that, yeah the dispell on the tank is the main cause of wipes in this fight, that and the tanks not moving them mobs out of power runes.

Yeah looks like it was a power rune that made the huge fusion punch.

Rune of Power 5 11.0 11.9 %

Wasn't able to check logs to see if he had buff on the time of death tho... i'll check again later

[21:31:31.937] Steelbreaker afflicted by Rune of Power from Rune of Power
    [21:31:32.921] Steelbreaker's Rune of Power fades

[21:32:14.312] Steelbreaker Fusion Punch Unruley 27070 (O: 3496) (more)

Will look better into it later... >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Kuraf View Post
    Yeah looks like it was a power rune that made the huge fusion punch.

Rune of Power 5 11.0 11.9 %

Wasn't able to check logs to see if he had buff on the time of death tho... i'll check again later

[21:31:31.937] Steelbreaker afflicted by Rune of Power from Rune of Power
    [21:31:32.921] Steelbreaker's Rune of Power fades

[21:32:14.312] Steelbreaker Fusion Punch Unruley 27070 (O: 3496) (more)

Will look better into it later... >_>
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, unfortunately some of the guildies weren't online on Friday so the run was cancelled. I was looking forward to downing the Iron Council. At least now we have something to work with

+ Reply to Thread