+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Onyxia Head Rewards

It sorta depends on how much parry you had to begin with. Dimishing returns.
    The only thing better than being able to tank, is realizing that you no longer need to prove that you can.

Well things do tend to work out, I won the head on my hunter, and must say the neck was a nice upgrade for my hunter. I would venture to say it may be BiS for a hunter unitl Heroic 25 ToC, since on the lvl 258 necks the red gem slot for 20 Agility puts them over the top.

The World of Warcraft Armory

But the tanking trinket, meh.

that was one thought I had, but I had a LOT more dodge than parry...oh well, I'll keep it around and see what happens when I get some other pieces of gear, one less bag slot never hurt anyone.

are you adding the miss you gain from defense?

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

wow, good catch, this is what I get for comparing gear at 3AM, I'll check again.

*edit* I gain .5% avoidance, thanks for the help kaz

I too just got the Onyxia head last night and turned it in for the trinket.

I've been toying with the idea of swapping out "The Black Heart" for the trinket and then to make up for the lost STA, swapping out parry and def gems for STA gems, is this a good idea, or should I just hold onto this for encounters that require more avoidance than HP?

It just seems like it would be nice to consolidate so much parry and def into one slot.

(P.S. - this is my first post here =) )

trinket is good for specific high avoidance or unhittability sets, otherwise stam is the way to go. If you're gemming parry you're doing either 1) it wrong, or 2) non-progression fights.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

It could be worse. You could be a bear. Then it would be completely useless to you

Thanks blizzard. </3 bears
    "Ultimately, making the blanket statement '25m content is harder, period' is at best an overstatement and at worst ignorant drivel." Garrek

I found one fun use for the tank trinket. Equip it when using a damage type weapon to make up for the defense and tank heroics. As a warrior tank averaging 1800 dps is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bung View Post
    I found one fun use for the tank trinket. Equip it when using a damage type weapon to make up for the defense and tank heroics. As a warrior tank averaging 1800 dps is awesome.

With my farming gear I reach 2k5-3k dps in heroic 5...

You can get the def cap using a dps weapon without the Ony trinket. And shadowmoon card is better to increase dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Astemus View Post
    It could be worse. You could be a bear. Then it would be completely useless to you

Thanks blizzard. </3 bears
    Oh those poor bear tanks, I suppose they have their ridiculous amounts of stamina and armor to comfort them while they cry

The trinket is only good for unhittable set, you should and can easily get a better trinket

I'm finding the same thing Jadage.
    I just got the Purified Onyxia Blood Talisman (an hour ago) and I've been playing with the numbers compared to my blue trinket and the Ony one is losing.
    Purified Onyxia Blood Talisman
    Lavanthor's Talisman

With Ony - Def 568, Dodge 22.68%, Parry 20.19%, Block 19.04% (sum = 62.09%)
    With Lavan - Def 554, Dodge 22.43%, Parry 18.20%, Block 22.99% (sum = 63.62%)
    So going from an iLvL 200 to iLvL 245 I'm losing 1.5% mitigation??

IF there was an option to re-gem for Block Rating, I wouldn't mind losing a Def gem or two and that would be cool, but I don't see any on wowhead.

pls halp make sense of this for me.
    my other trinket is the +stam one from norm ToC
    The Black Heart

You're confusing block rating with avoidance/mitigation. It doesn't quite work that way. You're also forgetting that defense rating also adds miss chance, so you can't ignore that.
    Lavanthor isn't a match for Onyblood Talisman.

Thanks Synapse, but I think you missed my point.
    Block is Mitigation. Dodge and Parry are Avoidance.

Block doesn't count as "avoidance". A Block is you getting hit on the shield and you still take damage, but less because of your armor + block value. Like right now I have a Block Value of 981, so when I block I'm just mitigating 981 of a total hit. The hit is not avoided, but the damage it does is mitigated so I don't take as much damage.

For a warrior (and I believe pally too) the Block stats are not just about mitigation, but also about threat generation. The protection talent Damage Shield is a part of my threat generation, especially when tanking groups. So I consider the % chance to block as well as Amount blocked both important stats for a warrior.

Your other point of the +Def on the Ony trinket, it gives me 14 actual defense.
    - Increases chance to Dodge/Block/Parry by 0.56%
    - Decreases chance to be hit and critically hit by 0.56%
    Without that extra 0.56% my block rating would be in the 18.5% range. So at least I'm getting some block out of it.

Just don't see how the mitigation + avoidance stats come out to put the Ony trinket ahead of the Lavan one for my current setup.

You're basicly comparing 2.5% full avoidance (not including miss) vs 4% block chance. Unless you're blocking half the attack on average (that's what? >10k blocks?) Ony trinket comes on top for damage reduction.

And you're looking at 2.5% chance every swing done to you to damage with damage shield. With a 1.5k avg block value, you're looking at a 7-8 damage per swing. The Parry Haste you get from the trinket gives double that.

Not to mention that you look like a fool for using a blue trinket in raids if it's not Essence of Gossamer (and even then, you should've done ToC HC and/or Brewfest!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Actually with a 20% damage shield and your 1.5k block value it's 300 damage back to the boss on every swing.

Thank you though, I think you finally got my mind straight about the Ony trinket.

Using a blue trinket in raids? If people think I'm a "fool" for using my best gear instead of "epix" then they can go run another raid. I'm not an epic-gear slave.

damage shield is idd 300 damage, but that 1 trinket only gives you a slightly higher chance to do it than normal. So increase in chance * damage = gain per swing
    Last edited by Airowird; 11-09-2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I continue to be in your debt.
    Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread