+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dk Tanking help how much expertise do I need?

Dk Tanking help how much expertise do I need?

Hello, I was curious as a Dk how much expertise I need. I was tanking Hardmode ToC 10 today for the first time with my new guild. The main tank in my guild a Warrior who has completed Ulduar hardmodes and fought the observer, Basically he is really good and knows his stuff. Anyway he was telling me I need more expertise on my DK. I have 40 right now and he said to shoot for 51 which will make it so I am no longer parried.

The problem is I was looking at all the t9.5 gear and it has no expertise on it what so ever. How am I suppose to hit that much expertise without geming for it?

Here is my Armory:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

I just want some clarification on what the deal is.. If expertise is that important why isn't it on the t9.5 Dk tanking set?

You really shouldn't need more than 26 expertise which is the softcap. But in the end you need enough expertise to maintain a decent amount of threat so dps don't have to hold back.

Aye, expertise for a DK varies in value with spec and style. That said, no one actually *needs* expertise, but how much you want and why goes through a range.

For Dual Wielders there is a misconception that you need to be hard-capped or you will die. In fact, dual wielders will simply garner a little more value for survival from expertise for longer than a 2h.

For Blood, Expertise is delightful as you rely heavily on physical strikes, so not being parried contributes better to your threat than other specs after the soft cap.

For Frost, you have some key abilities (OB being a big one) that you don't want to miss any more than you have to, and FS is now parryable which adds a little value to expertise. Other than that you rely a lot on spells that can't be parried anyway, so the value is slightly less than Blood.

For Unholy, it's something akin to Frost, but there is a still greater percentage of your damage that comes from spells and unparriable factors. Expertise still surely has value, just smaller gains after the soft cap.

The real value of course is that until the soft cap you're removing both dodge *and* parry in equal amounts which gives it extra weight to each point compared to hit. Once you're past that soft cap, it falls of substantially as it only helps some of your tools and only point for point with hit on those tools (where as hit helps on the spells).

So for you specifically? 40 expertise is plenty, plenty more than you need, but using your Blood spec it will help your threat a fair shred. Props by the way for still using Inevitable Defeat, I <3 that mace.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

40 expertise is much, much more than you need, regardless of style, spec, or level of content.

26 expertise is the soft-cap and highly recommended. this reduces both parry and dodge by 6.5% each. it's generally considered mandatory if you tank with a frost Dual-Wield build, but you should have 26 expertise regardless of spec.

your current level of expertise is plenty. anything over 30, in fact, that isn't just incidental to your gear upgrades is probably excessive. that doesn't mean it's bad if you have alot of it, but it's a threat stat first and foremost, and you ought not to sacrifice too much survivability to max it out if you're already past the soft-cap and can comfortable hold threat over your dps.

Quote Originally Posted by lyd View Post
    40 expertise is much, much more than you need, regardless of style, spec, or level of content.

26 expertise is the soft-cap and highly recommended. this reduces both parry and dodge by 6.5% each. it's generally considered mandatory if you tank with a frost Dual-Wield build, but you should have 26 expertise regardless of spec.

your current level of expertise is plenty. anything over 30, in fact, that isn't just incidental to your gear upgrades is probably excessive. that doesn't mean it's bad if you have alot of it, but it's a threat stat first and foremost, and you ought not to sacrifice too much survivability to max it out if you're already past the soft-cap and can comfortable hold threat over your dps.
    He's blood, 40 expertise is fine and useful and occurs naturally on a LOT of new gear.

Thanks for the Info everyone!

+ Reply to Thread