Anyone? itd mean a lot
Hey guys, first off Id like to say that Tankspot is an amazing site with a ton of useful information, and I look forward to getting to know yall.
The World of Warcraft Armory
Thats my armory, clearly, and Im posting it for a little bit of comment and critique.
Some history: I have been a protection warrior since dinging 70 back in early TBC. I have a halfass arms set that I recently put together (seems you cant be a prot warrior without a backup DPS set for certain bosses, but prot is my first and only love.
I took a break from WoW in May and came back shortly after ToC launched, finding to my dismay that 28k HP was no longer cool. (Was it ever? Apparently not haha.) Either way, I have been protection for a long time, but I am really looking to take it up a notch here.
Most of what I pride myself on is my raid leading abilities. I should mention that I ONLY PuG, as I play at strange times not at all in keeping with a guild of any sort. This may change, but as of right now its how I like it.
Basically what Im looking for is a general critique of my gear, focusing on several key points:
1) My HP seems a little low. Does my avoidance make up for it? Im not too sure what my ideal avoidance levels should be at. Is there one I should generally be stacking at this phase in the game?
2) Trinkets. Onyxia Blood Talisman; love it or hate it. Im going to replace the brewfest trinket as soon as the Black Heart drops. Should I be rocking 2 brewfest trinks right now, for more EH? But the thing is, a big chunk of my defense comes from OBT, so if I drop it a few stam gems are gonna have to become DEF gems...
3) I know...+24 stam gems. I will upgrade them to +30s when I can.
4) Saving up for the conquerors chest-piece. Is this the smartest move at this point? Seems to me naxx-10 gear is really...no. Anything else I should get first with badges?
5) I clear Maly weekly with my PuGs...still waiting on the barrier of eternity. Is there another shield I should go for in the meantime? Perhaps one of the Naxx-25 shields?
6) I consider myself to be a competent tank...(skill-wise, NOT numbers-wise). I must confess I know far too little about the stats that I depend on. But that being said, do you think I could reliably start to tank Ulduar-10 with a decent pug?
7) Peacekeepers blade...should I be waiting on Quelserrar? Or going for something else.
I realize some of this stuff is vague, elementary, etc. Im really just looking for some tips to make me a better tank, and to focus on getting some good upgrades given my odd and limited playtimes.
Anyone? itd mean a lot
I just commented like this in another post. Ill try to vary it a bit
1) Your gear is a two generations behind now..... youre in full Naxx gear and you need either Ulduar (next step up) or TOC (2nd step up). Its not likely you would be successful in a raid in this gear for TOC.... so you NEED ULDUAR. 10 mans are not hard..... and tankspot has all the strat videos. Use them and get a regular 10 man Uld going.
2) I like that you have enchants on most of your gear.... but you need to upgrade the gems. Not hard with badges. Epic gems (uncut) are 10 and 20 badges each. That is one hard day of grinding heroics (or Ulduar/Naxx) to get what you need.
3) Your reputation isnt good. You have zero Sons of Hodir rep and you arent using the tabards to get rep in the other 3-4 reputations that will allow you to use heroics to level. Get on that right away.
4) I can live with your first two sunder glyphs, but the rapid charge has got to go.... get yourself a shield wall or last stand glyph.... or at least a glyph of blocking.... something that can actually help you raid.
5) I believe that engineering will let you socket extra things on your gear, right? Have you done that?
6) Spec is ok with deep wounds.... although you might want to try a survivability spec for your new Ulduar runs....
7) For your weapon, forget the Ony weapon. Get the titanguard sword off Flame Leviathan. It is the best until you get either hard modes or into TOC.
8) To make up for your lower gear, make sure you are using buff food for every boss fight and flasking with stoneblood. Its critical.
9) Forget Maly.... there is a tanking shield off Cat Lady in Ulduar. Its superior to the maly shield and easier to get IMO.
10) Trinkets, get the black heart first. Use the brewfest until you get the Heart of Iron off Ignis. That will last you to TOC if you want it to.
You really need an Ulduar run. Find a few friends that you like to run with and get a regular raid. EVen if its just 3-4 guys, its easier to pug when you have a good core group. You may want to consider a guild... its a great way to get into raids.....
Last edited by Unger; 10-14-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....
If you are financially well off, there are some major upgrades you can get without stepping a foot into an instance.
If you've got oodles of cash, grab yourself a set of Saronite Swordbreakers and a Breastplate of the White Knight. Both items will likely be very pricey but well worth if if you have the coin. The crusader orbs will be the most expensive part but you can buy them with triumph badges.
Breastplate of the White Knight - Item - World of Warcraft
Saronite Swordbreakers - Item - World of Warcraft
If this is too rich for your blood, you can scale back a bit and look at the:
Indestructible Plate Girdle Indestructible Plate Girdle - Item - World of Warcraft
Spiked Deathdealers Spiked Deathdealers - Item - World of Warcraft
Again, not exactly cheap but you are a miner so you can in theory, farm the mats and buy the orbs with badges.
Another item you should look for is the Northern Barrier - its a solid tanking shield that's BoE and likely to be available on your local auction house. Northern Barrier - Item - World of Warcraft
It depends on the content you're doing...but by and large, in current raiding, no. You need that health buffer on most fights nowadays.1) My HP seems a little low. Does my avoidance make up for it? Im not too sure what my ideal avoidance levels should be at. Is there one I should generally be stacking at this phase in the game?
There's acutally a good chunk of items you could get just from heroic badges that would help bridge that defense gap, and still a lot of items you could get from H ToC. The gloves and belt from the badge vendor would bring you up 18 defense rating. The neck would be 7 more. T8 chest token would be 4 more. The helm from H ToC would be another 8. The legs from H ToC - while lower item level than your current legs, I prefer them - are another 15 rating.2) Trinkets. Onyxia Blood Talisman; love it or hate it. Im going to replace the brewfest trinket as soon as the Black Heart drops. Should I be rocking 2 brewfest trinks right now, for more EH? But the thing is, a big chunk of my defense comes from OBT, so if I drop it a few stam gems are gonna have to become DEF gems...
Just those fairly easy upgrades would let you get rid of the Onyxia trinket and still only leave you 2 defense rating short of cap, which you could make up almost anywhere. Of course, they'll also raise your other stats quite a bit in the process.
Gloves - 28 sta, Belt 28 sta, Neck 5 sta, Helm 58 sta, legs 14 sta, Chest 36 sta. So about 169 stamina. Add on the Black Heart if you get it, now that you can swap out the talisman, and you're up 295 stamina. Also a good chunk of armor from the upgrades and the meta gem.
You'll have to lose one stamina gem for a defense gem though, so that'll subtract a bit. It's ok though, beacuse the T8 chest has a socket that'll take a def/sta gem and give a defense socket bonus.
Also, get rid of that defense bracer enchant. You'll have to lose a stamina gem somewhere probably, but you'll get +40 stamina from the enchant so it's ok.
Those are all very easy, pre-raid upgrades you could grab with minimal effort, and most of them are badge items, not drops, so you won't have to worry about luck all that much.
Yep!3) I know...+24 stam gems. I will upgrade them to +30s when I can.
Yeah, it's a pretty big upgrade.4) Saving up for the conquerors chest-piece. Is this the smartest move at this point? Seems to me naxx-10 gear is really...no. Anything else I should get first with badges?
The one from Northrend Beasts is very nice, too. With the gear upgrades I listed above you'll be able to tank those just fine, I'm sure. (Which is what my Prot War is using...I don't even play him anymore and he's tanked ToC 10 and 25 ok. The pugs never finished either of them though, waaah.)5) I clear Maly weekly with my PuGs...still waiting on the barrier of eternity. Is there another shield I should go for in the meantime? Perhaps one of the Naxx-25 shields?
Absolutely. As I said above, you'll even be able to tank regular ToCr with some easy badge upgrades. From there you can start reliably buying Triumph badge gear, and things will just get easier.6) I consider myself to be a competent tank...(skill-wise, NOT numbers-wise). I must confess I know far too little about the stats that I depend on. But that being said, do you think I could reliably start to tank Ulduar-10 with a decent pug?
But I don't think I'd bother with Ulduar, to be honest. It's such a huuuuuge time sink in a pug, you're likely to just stall half way through, and you're not likely to get anything that you can't already get via H ToC, badges, or ToCr 10.
Peacekeeper is actually surprisingly good, I found. I'm not sure I'd actively worry about replacing it TOO much. There's Titanguard from Uld25 and Quel'serrar which would both be fairly easy I guess. I'm actually really fond of Peacekeeper Blade at your level of gear though, go figure. =O7) Peacekeepers blade...should I be waiting on Quelserrar? Or going for something else.
All in all you're really not very far from being a pretty well-geared T9 tanky.
Dont even try Coliseum raids without a hefty stam increase. Example, Gormok impale can tick up to 15K (tick, not hit, hits are additional :P) Anubarak loves to first stun you for several seconds then start landing big hits on you while you sit there with zero avoidance. You need the stam to take it all.
Ulduar10 is decently doable with Naxx gear. The instance progresses in difficulty as you get deeper but it's usually more about execution than a ton of gearchecks. Hell i'd say even Ulduar25 is puggable these days with the badge gear you can get.
ToC heroic 5-man is a great place to get some upgrades real fast. Nothing in there is sparkling great except the normal mode trinket but it's fast, everybody wants to go there and the upgrades are very real while you're farming the badge stuff.
Thank you VERY much for all the advice guys! Top notch. THANKS!