+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot leveling help!

Prot leveling help!

I've been working on this warrior for about a week now and I'm level 44 and I can't seem to find anything that works for leveling.

I leveled up Prot till 40 and switched to arms till 43 and seemed really slow and bad so I switched back to Prot but for some reason seems really slow.

How should I level up as a Prot war? I need some tips XD I fail.

Bump

If you're really set on leveling as a prot war then you need to accept it will be slow until the 60s when you actually start to get decent prot gear and talents. My suggestion is to go fury til you get to Outlands.

The advantages of leveling prot are:

1. When you make a messy pull, or back into extra mobs, you'll be much harder to kill.

2. Much less downtime between pulls

3. Its easy(er) to find instance runs to get into when you are a tank or healer.

Disadvantages of leveling prot:

1. Lower damage output until later levels

2. Gear upgrades are aimed at survival rather than pew pew.

I did 1-70 as prot during pre/bc & BC and it was grueling experience but 70-80 as prot was a total breeze.

Levelling as prot is tough. But it does have the advantages stated above. One thing I have noticed by levelling a dps character (or even doing dailies/questing with a dps spec on my warrior), the higher DPS output makes up for the survivability of prot spec. I recommend that if you want to level faster, get dual spec or spec arms to make your life easier.

It's not impossible as prot and you really learn to use the class, but it is a hard grind.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Soloing the Warrior 41-60 | Ten Ton Hammer

This link may help...there's others, too...do a google search for Wow Warrior leveling guides...

I'd also think about teaming up with someone...things go quicker, that way. Look for someone who's a healer, or a few levels above you...guildies may help, with this, especially if you express an interest in becoming a tank.

If you are soloing, look for areas that are your level, to one or two levels higher...more exp that way. Also, run some battlegrounds, when you get bored or stuck on quests...

Also, get quest addons, if you haven't already...

If you are going to go Prot, please get a shield, drop Puncture and Safeguard (both are prety much worthless)--take Armored to the teeth (every warr, no matter what spec can use this), Thunderclap and Anticipation. For weapon, I believe your racial has a buff for axes, yes? (not sure, as I'm Night Elf) Don't take Vigilance, yet, unless you're doing instances.

Remember, just because you are Prot, doesn't mean you have to fill in just that tree. The fury tree has some nice talents, such as Demoralizing Shout, and later, the Arms tree.

Good luck, and stick with it...it does get better!
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

I find levelling any sort of tank is that there are islands where the gear gets good. Specifically, you get nice gear at the old endpoints (60,70, and soon to be 80). In between those points, you end up with half-baked items (Blues from the pre-raid instances like BRD/scholo/strat/LBRS/etc., the occasional crafted item from TBC in the 60-70 range, etc.) and greens to keep up stamina and defense (the prized "Of the Champion" and "of Defense" gear). Fortunately, the content is equally trivial, so it's OK. You probably won't spend too much time in 60 raids (MC/BWL/ZG/etc.) or 70 raids (Maybe a karazahn or ZA run if you are lucky) before blowing through to the next content.

The key is to map out which quests yield good gear, then target a few speed runs with some guildies to get some gear (use achievement hounds who need rep/rare drops/etc.) adn fill in the gaps with quests to level past it.

If you can, see if you can find a friend/guildmate healer that wants to level. When my wife and I leveled, we were going FAST - 10-80 in 3 weeks or so RL time while working full time for 2 of those weeks.

If you are stuck solo - it'll be a more difficult road.

I didn't replace most of my T6 gear until ~lvl 77.

Just to be a prick about it...

I successfully healed a voa25 in 7/8 Skyshatter set (t6 shaman) after freshly hitting 80. Managed 2500 HPS while assigned to the Warrior MT tank who had about 34k unbuffed. Initially, I felt guilty about going in being so stupidly undergeared. About the only person who complained was a DK who did 1200 DPS, so it was a non-issue.

Alas, as a tank, you can't pull that stunt I don't think. But it does go to show how well T6 holds up, and we lucky for me we have a recurring group of people who run BT/Sunwell once a week on my server, for kicks. Mainly Warglaive and Nostalagia.

I got rid of my badge gear on my pally and bear at about 75ish.

+ Reply to Thread