+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gear/Build check. Avoidance vs. HP

Gear/Build check. Avoidance vs. HP

Short version: My HP is low. I hate it. My avoidance also feels low to me. I hate it. I have a block set, but I'm told block is poop.

Questions:
    1. How is my build? I didn't take Vindication because I was experimenting with reckoning. I think I can sack this talent, or should I make up Vindication with other points?

2. My gear? What I'm wearing now is more or less avoidance. I hate having the Ony trinket, really. I only have it to equip the legs...

3. I'm not seeing a great return from Blade Ward. I've been told to go with Mongoose for a constant avoidance rate (since Mongoose procs more than Blade Ward I'm told)

4. I'm changing my professions to Blacksmithing/Jewelcrafting which will probably take a week or two. I'm hoping this will give me the HP boost I'm looking for itemization wise. What more should I do to get higher HP with the gear levels I have? I just don't know how people get to 36-37k+ HP unbuffed, and I feel like a bad tank.

So in general I'm looking for advice as far as what I should be running, what gear to look for HP wise since I THINK I have a good avoidance/block set. Everyone on my server seems to want to faceroll EVERYTHING, including 25m ToC/25 Uld, so I don't really have the opportunity to get out of 10 mans...Halp?

Armory for Altagrave
    Last edited by Altagrave; 10-12-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Armory. Duh Alta.

Continue to gather Triumph Emblems for easy upgrades to your ring, shoulders and hands. You're plenty geared for tanking ToC10, and probably even ToC25 so run those for upgrades. You're definitely on the right track, just keep plugging along and hoping for those drops!

Also - you can run FL25 pugs weekly for a shot at your Titanguard. Takes about 30 mins tops to grab 10 or so people and down him.

If people are unwilling to let you OT in a ToC25 then you should aim for a few more key upgrades in ToC10 (shield and rings stand out).

Also, I've enjoyed having Mongoose. Not sure what the top consensus is atm but it seems that a number of top-tier tanks are sporting Mongoose over Blade Warding.

Mongoose certainly does proc a lot - it's not a dissimilar rate to Blade Ward, however Mongoose can refresh its buff by having it proc again whereas Blade Ward is consumed upon the first successful parry, meaning it rarely refreshes or stacks.

In terms of professions, prioritise taking Jewelcrafting over Alchemy initially - Blacksmithing won't give you any HP boost over Mining whatsoever so its only strength is flexibility for your offspec. JC/Mining is perfectly fine if you intend to spend most or all of your time tanking - take Blacksmithing if you want a viable Ret or Holy spec.

Regarding your build, 3/5 Reckoning is certainly an option (it's that, DS/DG or DS/ImpHoJ) but I'd personally take 1/5 Conviction, 2/2 Vindication and 2/2 Persuit of Justice. The threat boost from Conviction isn't huge, Vindication is a guaranteed and auto-applied mitigation talent, greatly enhancing your time to live. Persuit of Justice is a matter of personal preference, but being able to run across the raid and pick up a stray add or get out of the fire does certainly have its benefits.

I'd also focus on getting some upgrades with Defense Rating on - at the moment you have a weapon, ring and legs which are having to be carried by the rest of your gear which is limiting the amount you can focus on EH. The ring you might want to keep at least until you get the Heroic Loop of the Twin Val'kyr, but Titanguard from Flame Leviathan-25, Saronite Plated Legguards from Kologarn-25 and Legguards of Feverish Dedication from Jaraxxus-25 should all be reachable by pugs so keep an eye out for those items especially. If you don't see either drop, the Tier 9 legs aren't too bad and are absolutely dripping in Defense Rating which may also help. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post

In terms of professions, prioritise taking Jewelcrafting over Alchemy initially - Blacksmithing won't give you any HP boost over Mining whatsoever so its only strength is flexibility for your offspec. JC/Mining is perfectly fine if you intend to spend most or all of your time tanking - take Blacksmithing if you want a viable Ret or Holy spec.

I just wanted to comment on blacksmithing for other people that may google and come across this thread like I did. It's benefit lies in getting an extra (prismatic)gem slot for hands, bracers, and belt(belt gemslot is a sellable item so could be bought instead). This is in addition to other enchants or whatever you normally decide to put on your bracers,belts, and gloves.

This is actually really nice because you can fill those slots with whatever stats you might need instead of just taking the 50 stam from mining.

Personally, I'm currently a Blacksmith/Miner (it's just what I've always been.. not something I chose as FOTM). I'll probably drop one for jewelcrafting at some point, but doing so isn't exactly cheap.

Also since I bothered to make a post, thanks to everyone and their effort here, with advice, videos, etc... credit where credit is due.

+ Reply to Thread