+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tier 10 sets dilemma: Extra armor or 4set bonus? Request for mathematical approach

Tier 10 sets dilemma: Extra armor or 4set bonus? Request for mathematical approach

So, now that a significative amount of gear from tier 10 has been discovered, I am having a real hard time deciding if I should go for the 4 set bonus or all thos yummy extra armor pieces from badges + 1 drop + crafted.

So, for the math wizards out there, can some1 please model out the differences so we all can have a clearer picture of it? Hell I would love to get it started on the math but my skills are not up to par

For warriors, we would need to compare the bonus:

20% of max health damage absorption every 1 minute

Versus the difference in EH and Avoidance between the 2 sets, assuming same tier for them all (normal 25).

Anyone up to the task?

Don't have time to work on the math side of it atm, but personally I'll most likely always have the 4 set bonus of T10. The cooldown is too good to pass up for on demand help.

Most likely I'll pick up the hands for the hit, and definitely the legs for the expertise. From there I'll probably take any of the +armor pieces I can for the remaining slots and choose the remaining T10 based on what is open/smallest upgrade. Then any expertise pieces I can get for the remaining pieces hopefully.

Haven't really sat down and compared slots yet cause more items are trickling down from the PTR every day.

Well let's assume 52k fully raid buffed warrior. 20% of that is 10400 damage absorbed every minute. The sum of the damage reduction from putting on all the high armor pieces will very likely be less than 10400. That's not to say a high armor piece can't fill in for a weak piece of tier after you get the 4pc. It's going to be nice to have solid survival tier and fill in the other slots with high armor gear.

I hear what you guys are saying, but I think you are oversimplifying it and maybe the math proves the extra armor is actually much better damage reduction over the 1 minute period.

Like, in your example of 10400 damage absorbed. Assuming mob swings ever 2 secs, 30 swings in a minute:

10400/30 = ~347 damage per swing

Of course in practice the fact that you will have this as a cooldown that can be used strategically to avoid a predictable burst makes it more valuable, but if the extra armor provides a significantly superior absorption, it may be worth bypassing the bonus...

EDIT: Also, do we know if the bonus absorption applies to all types of damage? if it does, then that will clearly favor it on magic related fights
    Last edited by Stompya; 11-27-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Using the gloves and legs gives you 1848 bonus armor. The chest gives another 1176 bonus armor but I would use the armor chest anyways seeing as the helm and shoulders don't have an armor bonus option and the chest has a huge chunk of expertise as well.

1848 armor all the time

Helm - T10
    Shoulders -T10
    Chest - Cataclysmic Chestguard
    Gloves - Gauntlets of the Kraken
    Legs - Pillars of Might

VS. 10k+ self bubble every minute that works for physical and magic damage.

Helm - T10
    Shoulders - T10
    Chest - Catalysmic Chestguard
    Gloves - T10
    Legs - T10

Not really any math needed in my eyes =P
    Last edited by Takethecake; 11-27-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Takethecake View Post
    Using the gloves and legs gives you 1848 bonus armor. The chest gives another 1176 bonus armor but I would use the armor chest anyways seeing as the helm and shoulders don't have an armor bonus option and the chest has a huge chunk of expertise as well.

1848 armor all the time

Helm - T10
    Shoulders -T10
    Chest - Cataclysmic Chestguard
    Gloves - Gauntlets of the Kraken
    Legs - Pillars of Might

VS. 10k+ self bubble every minute that works for physical and magic damage.

Helm - T10
    Shoulders - T10
    Chest - Catalysmic Chestguard
    Gloves - T10
    Legs - T10

Not really any math needed in my eyes =P
    1800 armor should be in the vicinity of 3% effective physical damage reduction.

For that to be more then 10k/minute, the boss would need to put out in the vicinity of 350k damage.

Boss swings once per two seconds, so thirty swings/minute, half connect, meaning the damage would need to be spread over 15 blows, leaving about 23k per swing required.

So against hard hitters, the armor is better. Of course, this is ignoring the fact that the armor costs you other stats, and that the shield can be used when needed most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

also remember that depends on fights... if there is a fight with a predictable burst or something then take the 4set bonus, if its not then armor is probabbly better

Well you are guaranteed to absorb a certain amount of damage with this. The armor gear will only help you reduce damage on physical damage hits that make contact. Armor doesn't do anything against magic damage or attacks that are parried/dodged.

Let's assume chill of the throne is active and a boss melee swings every 2 seconds. I have 5% dodge, 20% parry and 10% chance to be missed. Only 65% of those melee attacks will hit and be affected by the armor. Logically, the 10400 reduced by the 4pc will be significantly more reduction.

That said, if there are any more Gormok or Icehowl types in ICC which spank a tank with huge physical damage very quickly, the high armor gear might be better survival in the long run.

Plus, lest we forget.... predicable and steady damage has rarely killed a tank.

+ Reply to Thread