+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Cata Holy Priest Guide (4.0.3)

My caveat to the Holy/PW:S thing as a Disc priest: I heart holy priests who know how to use B&S and execute it well. Feel free to shield w/e appropriate around me. Never, however, shield the MT... or I keel you.

Oh, yes, forgot about that. Body and Soul of course is a good excuse to use PW:S.

This seems like an appropriate place to ask this question

On my priest I bounce between holy and disc (while keeping a shadow offspec).
    I've seen a lot of recommendations for "gemming haste" as a holy priest. Not
    necessarily straight-haste, but things like +spellpower/haste gems etc.

What I don't really understand, is "why" is haste valued so highly as holy?
    CoH = instant cast
    PoM = instant cast
    Renew = instant cast
    and Gheal/PoH gets a lot faster with a serendipty stack or two.

Is the haste motivation for getting flash heal down and decreasing
    PoH times? for those times you don't have serendipity?

Thanks in advance for any insight!!!

Ps. I finally dropped my flash heal glyph for PoH and wow. For those
    cases where you can predict raid damage (hi2 toravon) it's amazing!

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by chun View Post

CoH = instant cast
    PoM = instant cast
    Renew = instant cast

Cheers.
    There's actually a couple answers for that, depending on where you are at gear wise and what spells you are using. If you still use flash as your main filler it's to lower the spellcast to match the global cooldown. If you are using a renew style play, as apparently more high end priests are doing, it's to lower PoH's cast without serendipity. Since you won't be casting flash as much you won't have the stack readily available as you would otherwise. Some priests are even dropping it completely from their spec.

...and even with serendipity, the faster you can get PoH off, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by chun View Post

CoH = instant cast
    PoM = instant cast
    Renew = instant cast

Cheers.
    Essentially any time spent casting is time spent with the other player taking probably more damage before your spell hits. Most single target healing a Holy Priest does is reactive, i.e. when the player actually takes damage. We have one single target, instant heal but its a HoT. By reducing the casting time further, your Flash Heals and Greater Heals will land faster after that reaction, meaning that the chance they will get hit again while you are casting and perhaps killing them is lessened. Also, the faster you can clobber someone with heals, thanks to increased haste, the faster you can get them back up. In addition, with AoE heals like Prayer of Healing, if raid-wide, AoE damage suddenly climbs and ticks repeatedly it means you won't always have an opportunity to get Serendipity stacks and with haste high you can spam PoH a LOT faster.

Hello,

I've been playing Holypriest quite a while on my best geared alt (main is a feral druid fyi) also played a bit pvp as Disc to about 2k rating.

Anyway, I know that there was 2 ways to heal as priest before, Flashheal vs Renew as fillers, and afaik Renew was the better option before.. BUT, since the new t10 bonuses, does Flash heal overtake Renew alot? In all honesty, I have always favored the Flash heal anyway, but I wanna know for theoretical reasons.

Appriciate answers

Regards Pinuli/Essentir

P.S. link to Wowarmory in link if it matters
    Pinuli - Feral Druid Essentir - Holy Priest/Disc PvP Suzumebachi - Rogue Pulina - Prot PvE/Holy PvP Paladin Sannaapa - Hunter(farmer)

No the set bonuses are pretty fail atm. From what I understand, there is a bigger movement to a renew style play then flash, but I still prefer flash. If you prefer flash, keep going with it.

Haste reduces the gcd. so doing all those instant casts the gcd will be reduced eventually to 1sec instead of 1.5 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Amamaeth View Post
    No the set bonuses are pretty fail atm. From what I understand, there is a bigger movement to a renew style play then flash, but I still prefer flash. If you prefer flash, keep going with it.

Yea they might be fail, but if you choose between 4pt t10/10.25 (and flashheal or renewing) or 2pt t10 2pt t9.5 (and renewing)?Since I really dont do much ICC 25 on my alt..I dont have access to awesome offset-parts.
    Pinuli - Feral Druid Essentir - Holy Priest/Disc PvP Suzumebachi - Rogue Pulina - Prot PvE/Holy PvP Paladin Sannaapa - Hunter(farmer)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinuli View Post
    Yea they might be fail, but if you choose between 4pt t10/10.25 (and flashheal or renewing) or 2pt t10 2pt t9.5 (and renewing)?Since I really dont do much ICC 25 on my alt..I dont have access to awesome offset-parts.
    I don't understand what you are trying to get at.

Renew vs Flash heal is personal preference. Many high end priests go to renew, I'm sure just as many use flash. Set bonuses are *NOT* a part of their consideration, because they suck. The 2pc t10 continues to do less then 1% of my healing, that's being disc and using flash heal as my filler, you'll see even less benefit as holy.

Very nice healing guide. I am in the process of learning how to heal raids. I have been a spriest and have never healed much. Now my guild needs additional healers and it's time to step up and help fill that role.

Thank you for this guide, and for the occasionally vigorous discussion that followed. I'm a shadow priest who recently dual spec'd Holy. I have a nice Talent tree and four pieces of the T9 healing set--and no idea how to use them. I find watching people argue about the fine points of their class to be very instructive, so please, by all means continue to disagree with one another! I notice that this healing guide was written for 3.2.2. Is there any plan to update this for 3.3? I know quite a bit changed for spriests between 3.2 and 3.3, I assume that would be true of Holy priests as well.

Updated to reflect priest playstyle changes for ilvl245 - which is now easy to come by - and above.

A great tip for effective use for shadowfiend.. pop hymn for the extra mana pool then pop shadowfiend and then Arcane torrent if bloodelf. just a thing i would have added to the guide.
    this spec http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bVcbuZbE0cf0qihhezAo (holy) is also a great spec i use and it works really good for me, nice flash heals, works really well in both 10/25.
    using Inner focus with divine hymn can also save alot of mana + better effect of divine hymn
    Last edited by Enyias; 04-12-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: extra tips of smarter use

Quote Originally Posted by Enyias View Post
    A great tip for effective use for shadowfiend.. pop hymn for the extra mana pool then pop shadowfiend and then Arcane torrent if bloodelf.

You'll want to Pop SF first, then Hymn, then AT. That way you are guaranteed to get the maximum amount of SF ticks from the %mana increase.

kk thanks, will try that next time

awesome guide. saved me from deleting my holy priest

TY for the guide it was a big help on figuring out how to approach raid healing

Haste really isn't that important to a holy priest, in the sense of gemming for it. Most of our spells are instant, and the ones that aren't are filler spells. The only spell that significantly benefits from haste is prayer of healing, and we have a built-in haste boost in serendipity (as awkward as it is). Gemming just to reduce the GCD costs too much in opportunity for other things.

The honest truth to priests is, we benefit from almost every stat, but in general our spells are fast but weak (compared to say shaman who have slow but powerful heals). That's why as long as you've got a ton of spellpower and enough regen to last through the fights, it doesn't matter that much what other healing stats you have as long as you actually have some.

i have been reading pretty much all the 7 pages of replies to your healing guide. IT IS AWESOME. one and only question. you said body and soul is left open to personel preference. was curious why u spec into body and soul aliena? (besides speeding through the pack)

+ Reply to Thread