+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Cata Holy Priest Guide (4.0.3)

Tomehere321
    Very nice guide, ty for this! I am main spec disc (your other guide helped me a lot for that too), and i just recently changed my second spec to holy. Up until now, i have been tank -and- raid healing as disc with not too much problems (im not doin H modes or anything though), and I wanted to start running as holy so that I can be more effective in my raid healing, as it is quite difficult to do as disc, especialy in 25 mans.

The thing is, I have a very hard time keeping the raid up in Holy. Im thinking that it is just my mindset as a disc, and I dont know when to use which spells. I have a shammy that I raid heal on all the time, so I'm familiar with the patterns of raid damage against most bosses, it just seems that I dont know when to cast what.

also, im a little confused about the spec, I have to put points in healing focus, devine fury, blessed recovery, or improved healing to get down to the 5th tier of talents, and in your guide you didnt really recommend any of those four talents. ty very much for reading

<3 Ryokoh of Shandris <3
    If you're a bubble spammer as disc, for your Holy spec put Renew on the same spot on the action bar as PW:Shield is for your disc spec. Your mindset will need to change a bit from "I prevent big damage quickly" to "I am a Resto Druid" but otherwise it is the same. you aren't going to save anyone with Renew, you'll probably have to save a Surge of Light proc, a Serendipity-hasted Gheal or POH, or a Flash Heal cast.

You can get some mileage from timing Prayer of Healing w/ Serendipity, followed by COH right before a big damage spike, like on BQL, or doggy Decimates.

Otherwise, keep Prayer of Mending on CD, cast COH when it is needed, use your Surge procs and then cast Renew, Renew, Renew...

Those talents you mentioned are filler utility talents. Take what you want. Personally, I like Divine Fury, because I keep a Shield on myself to prevent pushback (and 95% of my healing is instant cast anyway), and I like having the option to fast-cast a Greater Heal or Holy Fire/Smite combos. Gheal is still nice for 10 mans, especially if your healing team is a bit slow, or doesn't have a Resto Shaman, Disc Priest or Holy Paladin for some reason.

Whatever you do, don't take Blessed Recovery. Its bad, even for PVP (mostly because Focused Will and Inspiration are better and not many people go Holy for serious PVP)
    Last edited by Knighterrant81; 10-04-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Ty for your input! One thing I have noticed, like you said, is that i need to watch for the serendipity and surge of light procs, Since i have started keeping an eye on that i havent had any more trouble at all healing in holy (at least in heroics and 10 toc, i have yet to test it out in icc)

well, even though this all is relevant for only a matter of days, just make sure in 10s you don't get too locked into renew style. There are many times in 10s where it just makes more sense to use more direct healing, especially if you're paired with someone else who is just spamming little heals, like another Holy Priest or a raid healing Disc Priest, or a Resto Druid.

Video! :P

what are you doing up at this time Aliena, its only 07:10

anyways, nice guide. Though Renew spam (to me) seems like a bit of a waste (we're using 2 shamans Chain healing), Im running Chakra Heal and Chakra PoH, seems pretty nice, cant wait to test it in 85 raids

oh thought you were in germany

Thanks for the guide update Aliena.

Probably worth adding a link to your recommended talent spec to the guide: http://wowtal.com/#k=pYL4ZkM.a6d.priest.

Personally i wish they gave us a little more freedom in the tree. I'd rather have 3/3 Test of Faith than either Desperate Prayer or Spirit of Redemption.

Hi Aliena,

First of all, thanks for this clear guide on the 4.0.1 holy priest!

I could squeeze myself to the 37.5% (in raid) haste, but I could now only do that by replacing my six int/haste gems for pure haste gems and every reforge I can do from crit to haste. I'd lose about 60 int over it and would end up with nothing in mastery. I'd also have to eat haste food instead of spellpower food.

That seems a lot to sacrifice to me to go from 5 ticks to 6. What are your thoughts about that?

My current stats (selfbuffed) are:
    Spell power: 3536
    Haste: 25.53%
    Mana Regen: 1341
    Combat Regen: 996
    Crit Chance: 20.36%
    Mastery: 8.98

Thanks in advance,
    Eterna

at ;ast some good holy priest info . will make good use of it ty aliena

Thanks Aliena for this guide
    ^^

Hello Aliena,

I was just wondering if our passive ability--Meditation is currently bugged because I am starving for mana even when using double solaces. I am also currently using the Insightful Earthsiege Diamond but my regen all throughout an encounter is just bad. Since we always run with 2 resto druids, my style of healing is the Renew Chakra State and always hitting PoM, CoH and HW:A when they're off CD. I've also tried the PoH Chakra State playstyle but because of our 2 dedicated Resto Druids, my PoHs does a huge overhealing in the long run. Just by looking at the Holy Talent tree, we gain an additional 20% combat mana regen from Spirit through 2/2 Spiritual Healing so that's a total of 70% combat regen. If you ask me, that big number should indicate that mana shouldn't be a problem anymore but I just get annoyed when I raid because the rest of our healers aren't going OOM even when the encounter is already over. I used to have points 2 points into darkness but because of my paranoia about my mana regen, I had to relocate the points into 3/3 Mental Agility.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I would greatly appreciate any reply from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozzy View Post
    Hello Aliena,

I was just wondering if our passive ability--Meditation is currently bugged because I am starving for mana even when using double solaces. I am also currently using the Insightful Earthsiege Diamond but my regen all throughout an encounter is just bad. Since we always run with 2 resto druids, my style of healing is the Renew Chakra State and always hitting PoM, CoH and HW:A when they're off CD. I've also tried the PoH Chakra State playstyle but because of our 2 dedicated Resto Druids, my PoHs does a huge overhealing in the long run. Just by looking at the Holy Talent tree, we gain an additional 20% combat mana regen from Spirit through 2/2 Spiritual Healing so that's a total of 70% combat regen. If you ask me, that big number should indicate that mana shouldn't be a problem anymore but I just get annoyed when I raid because the rest of our healers aren't going OOM even when the encounter is already over. I used to have points 2 points into darkness but because of my paranoia about my mana regen, I had to relocate the points into 3/3 Mental Agility.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I would greatly appreciate any reply from you.
    I'm not Aliena, but maybe I can shed some light on your situation.

Mana pool-based regen was nerfed extremely hard. They cut the mana return from our Shadowfiend from 5% per attack to 3%, and halved the amount of mana restored by the Replenishment raid buff. They also nerfed Hymn of Hope, but I forget by how much.

There are a few ways to deal with this issue:

1) Examine cooldown usage. Are you using Shadowfiend and Hymn of Hope at the most opportune times?

2) Examine your overhealing. I'm not advocating being lazy or anything, but on fights with lulls in the combat, feel free to take a regen break or just throw out a few heals here and there to patch people up.

3) You already specced into Mental Agility, which is good. If necessary, you may need to steal a point or two for Veiled Shadows (reduces Shadowfiend CD by 1 minute per point).

I won't really discuss gear, although if you're reforging away your spirit I would recommend changing it back.

Now with 4.0.1, I am just wondering which spell would worker better with Chakra, Renew or Prayer of Healing? I've seen a lot of Holy Priests now using Prayer of Healing but personally i would rather go with Renew. I am about to test this for myself but just wondering what your thoughts are.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrae View Post
    Now with 4.0.1, I am just wondering which spell would worker better with Chakra, Renew or Prayer of Healing? I've seen a lot of Holy Priests now using Prayer of Healing but personally i would rather go with Renew. I am about to test this for myself but just wondering what your thoughts are.

Renew chakra is pretty mana heavy. I find PoH and Heal Chakra's more useful personally.

Chakra healing changes in 4.03, they're removing the renew chakra i believe.

Guide helped a lot but still have some questions

I looked everywhere and my guild isn't giving me full answers. My question is what are the stat caps for healing as a holy priest?

Lyeck, there is no such thing as stat cap for healing really except for haste. You might want to read the first page again regarding stat priorities. I hope I answered your question.

I was wondering what other play styles as a holy priest are currently for 4.0.1. A lot of people are looking at Chakra to simply renew spam, which has been dominantly used by most holy priests. My question is, if I am capable of renew spamming in Chakra state which is basically endless because of the capability to refresh the duration. Wouldn't it be wise to gem pure intellect instead of haste to fix the mana issues some priests are having?

I myself still gem/reforge haste to reach the cap. My play style involves using the PoH chakra instead for HW:S. This allows me to be more dynamic because I can still renew spam, reduce coh cd and have the capability to use HW:S. My overall throughput has increased through my raiding experience. Mana of course becomes a really huge issue after 3-4 mins of healing, but most fights dont last more than 4-5 mins even in ICC 25 heroic content except for LK.

Quote Originally Posted by Grutman View Post
    I was wondering what other play styles as a holy priest are currently for 4.0.1. A lot of people are looking at Chakra to simply renew spam, which has been dominantly used by most holy priests. My question is, if I am capable of renew spamming in Chakra state which is basically endless because of the capability to refresh the duration. Wouldn't it be wise to gem pure intellect instead of haste to fix the mana issues some priests are having?

I myself still gem/reforge haste to reach the cap. My play style involves using the PoH chakra instead for HW:S. This allows me to be more dynamic because I can still renew spam, reduce coh cd and have the capability to use HW:S. My overall throughput has increased through my raiding experience. Mana of course becomes a really huge issue after 3-4 mins of healing, but most fights dont last more than 4-5 mins even in ICC 25 heroic content except for LK.
    Right now the whole PoH vs. Renew Chakra thing is a big debate, often times I find myself swapping multiple times per fight. Thankfully, they're rolling them both into one, which will make everything a LOT easier.

I'm still gemming pure int, but that's because I play Disc quite often as well and I'm too lazy to regem and reforge everything every time I need to switch (I have a handful of pieces I swap out, that's really it). If I were pure 100% Holy, I would gem to the haste softcap.

+ Reply to Thread