+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 227

Thread: Cata Holy Priest Guide (4.0.3)

  1. #141
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2
    I think people are not understanding why you would want haste when casting instant spells. Perhaps they get confused by the little amount disc needs? When casting instant spells you are capped by how fast you can do this by the GCD. Without any haste your GCD is 1.5sec, not exactly speedy huh? 1 second is the lower limit for a GCD and you need 50% haste to reach that goal. Now the reason why haste is so much more important for a holy priest than say a bubblebot disc priest (both using almost all instants) is that disc has both haste from talents (6% from Enlightenment) and from their main spell PW:S (a whopping 25%) while a holy priest has...none.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2
    I would like to see logs if ppl posting theirs specs
    for example fight from icc25 hc marrowgar http://worldoflogs.com/reports/kjurj...?s=3118&e=3452
    as i dont have specced serendipity because i found it as wasted 3 points in my playstyle renew PoM and CoH with FH on proc

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Oixi View Post
    I would like to see logs if ppl posting theirs specs
    for example fight from icc25 hc marrowgar http://worldoflogs.com/reports/kjurj...?s=3118&e=3452
    as i dont have specced serendipity because i found it as wasted 3 points in my playstyle renew PoM and CoH with FH on proc
    A fairly standard Renew build, though I find the 2/2 Healing Prayers to be a bit of a waste if you do not cast PoH [which I assume you do not because you undervalue Serendipity]. Those two points could go into B&S [which is pretty much the best talent in the holy tree if used creatively & timely] or to finish 5/5 EH and drop a point into Inner Focus for mana free, crit juiced DHs. The mana you save on the already dirt cheap ProM is not worth the 2pts IMO.



  4. #144
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Oixi View Post
    A fairly standard Renew build, though I find the 2/2 Healing Prayers to be a bit of a waste if you do not cast PoH [which I assume you do not because you undervalue Serendipity]. Those two points could go into B&S [which is pretty much the best talent in the holy tree if used creatively & timely] or to finish 5/5 EH and drop a point into Inner Focus for mana free, crit juiced DHs. The mana you save on the already dirt cheap ProM is not worth the 2pts IMO.
    problem with B&S is that we always have disc priest and sometimes we have 2 in raid which makes B&S unusable

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    10
    It's been a while since I posted, but I wanted to follow-up on this guide....I tried both the Emp Renew and otherwise, and have found that Renew is nice when you have the time, but PoM/PoH does the job. I tried both ways in ICC10, and Renew just couldn't keep up with the other two. In fact, I've found, as stated by others, that PoM/CoH/PoH did the job faster and better, with the FH insta-cast. Maybe things change, as noted, once ICC 25 gets here, or maybe it's my guild (we have a lot of Disc Priests/Rest Druids).

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3

    agree

    Quote Originally Posted by FullofHeal View Post
    It's been a while since I posted, but I wanted to follow-up on this guide....I tried both the Emp Renew and otherwise, and have found that Renew is nice when you have the time, but PoM/PoH does the job. I tried both ways in ICC10, and Renew just couldn't keep up with the other two. In fact, I've found, as stated by others, that PoM/CoH/PoH did the job faster and better, with the FH insta-cast. Maybe things change, as noted, once ICC 25 gets here, or maybe it's my guild (we have a lot of Disc Priests/Rest Druids).
    I completely agree i find in ICC10/25 that casting renew with my latency around 200ish that the GCD on renew messes up my rotation where i can keep FH going with other spells without an interruption. Also i just have to comment to previous posts the resto shamans can make great MT healers as long as you use the spells available correctly just like any other healing class.

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5
    I'm having some issues, since in your guide you clearly state, that haste shouldn't be that much of a concern, but still you stack alot of it. And since your not using flash-heal empowered healing as talent, i suppose your using renew, and prayer of healing for the most part of your healing. However, why pickup haste that much, since it only stacks with prayer of healing, and not even renew. And since you ain't using flash heal that much. I've been told, and discussed haste with alot of people, and most only stacks it to 20-25 %. but your on what, 40 % or something?

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,342
    The general idea is to keep your crit around 30% [raid buffed] and then stack haste. While a holy priest cannot reach the GCD cap, he or she can, through haste, increase the number of Renews one can have up at one time.

    Consider a 1.5sec GCD and a 15sec renew. Under these conditions with perfect latency, a holy priest can keep up 10 renews. If you drop that to 1.25sec GCD you can keep up 12 renews, or 10 renews while being able to press CoH & ProM on CD. So on and so forth.

    Crit is nice for activating things like HC & SoL, but it really shouldn't be relied upon as a throughput stat.

    I'll let Aliena reply with how she plays [as I honestly do not know], but looking at her gear and spec I would imagine her recount Top 3 are Renew, CoH, & ProM [followed by Emp Renew or FH]. Of course, some fights are different, but, again, my guess is CoH & ProM on CD with Renew fillers, pressing SoL-FH when someone gets dangerously low and serendipity-hasted PoH for big raid-wide hits.



  9. #149
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1
    Excellent Guide

    Rohaan of Nagrand Realm

  10. #150
    GREAT GUIDE
    Thanks Aliena and the other staff for your work.

    A question. wich is the rotation and spec for Heavy AOE heal?
    Circle healing heal only 5 target (6 if have glyph).
    Plz can you post a spec for that role in raid? Or is the same you posted?
    ^^
    Last edited by Theadan; 07-23-2010 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Add a question.

  11. #151
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9
    Hey Aliena I was wondering why you don't get T10 4 piece bonus for holy I thought it was a usefull bonus to get.

  12. #152
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Avataa View Post
    Hey Aliena I was wondering why you don't get T10 4 piece bonus for holy I thought it was a usefull bonus to get.
    Properbly because she's using renew POH, POM more than Circle of Healing. Meaning the last piece would be a waste, compared to the items bonuses she' gets from the other hc piece.

  13. #153
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezuz View Post
    Properbly because she's using renew POH, POM more than Circle of Healing. Meaning the last piece would be a waste, compared to the items bonuses she' gets from the other hc piece.
    Actually, the T10 4pc gives a straight 5% bonus to renew [and PW:S]. The old CoH bonus has been long gone.
    You'll have to ask her about skipping the 4pc. As a disc priest, I find the 5% bonus to PW:S worth the pick up, but PW:S is a much larger percentage of my throughput than renew CoH is to holy.
    Last edited by Spiritus; 07-26-2010 at 04:20 PM.



  14. #154
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    Actually, the T10 4pc gives a straight 5% bonus to renew [and PW:S]. The old CoH bonus has been long gone.
    5% to renew would be great, but that's not the case. It was changed to 5% bonus to CoH a long time ago. I forget what The original bonus was. http://www.wowhead.com/item=51178

  15. #155
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,342
    Well, crap. I guess I don't even look at my own gear anymore. According to that its 10% to CoH... which isn't shabby.



  16. #156
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2
    I saw this post on YouTube and was immediately inspired to change my Shadow Priest to Holy and to join TankSpot. Excellent Guide. Thank you very much .

  17. #157
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3
    So there are two things I wanted to go over and get your opinions on. First of all from what I have read in ICC with the buff spellpower is currently on par with haste in regards to what holy priests should be gemming. This is because both of these stats are the best throughput stats for holy priests. The reason (in my understanding) haste has surpassed spellpower in importance in ICC is because of teh buff. With a 30% buff you now are having a direct boost to the sheer amount of healing you do per cast. Now it is more important to gem for haste so thatyou can try and get up to the soft haste cap which I believe is around 1260. This haste cap brings your renews down to the lowest gcd and your PoHs become a 2 second cast which can be highly usefull since PoH in an actual fight does more healing than five renews depending on your situation.

    With 20% buff, haste capped (you're close enough) and 4k SP buffed:
    Renew - ~19k per cast = max ~19k HPS
    Glyphed PoH - ~36.5k per cast = max ~18.25k HPS

    Yes, this means that Renew is in fact higher HPS than PoH. But that is only at 0% over-healing. If you can land PoH at nearly any over-heal margin lower than your average over-heal on Renew, then PoH is superior. Also if you happen to have Serendipity for whatever reason (Festergut at 3 inhales etc), then PoH surpasses the HPS of Renew. But in general use what you're looking for is to understand your over-heal margin with Renew (often 35-40%) and then keep an eye out for a chance to land PoH with a lower over-heal rate.

    Remember that Renew's over-heal amount over the course of a fight is pretty static. It's averaged over a ton of ticks on a ton of people so you can count on that. PoH on the other hand is a different style entirely and in particular lines up positively with damage auras at haste cap. That is the cast time is equal to the damage aura tick rate and the glyph's tick rate also allows for aura ticks in between its own ticks. So with proper rhythm you can achieve some very low over-healing with PoH. There's also the Bloodlust factor. When lust is cast in damage aura fights, assuming you have the mana, you can just go nuts with PoH. Just make sure to never PoH the same group more than once every 6 seconds or you'll eat HoT ticks from your glyph. ( This info was provided to me by Harky on MMO Champion)

    With this said you want to do everything you can to make it so you can put out as much healing as possible as quickly as possible. With the buff in ICC it becomes less important to be able to do powerful heals than quick heals to be able to save people when needed. In conclusion it would seem to me that you would be better off gemming for haste instead of spellpower because spellpower is covered by the ICC buff and because if you have too much spellpower thsi will be turned into direct overhealing a good majority of the time. This is because renew will just have a ton of overheal between its own tics and the other healers in your party.

    This also brings me to my other topic which is the use of FH versus renew. From what I can tell unless a renew is already on a target you shouldn't use a renew on someone to keep them up. This is because the initial heal from empowered renew is only about 3-4k healing higher than an average FH spell. This is completely eclipsed after one or two tics of the renew. Also after the renew runs its course a single renew will have healed more than even a GH.

  18. #158
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Notlob its a palindrome
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Curana View Post
    So there are two things I wanted to go over and get your opinions on. First of all from what I have read in ICC with the buff spellpower is currently on par with haste in regards to what holy priests should be gemming. This is because both of these stats are the best throughput stats for holy priests. The reason (in my understanding) haste has surpassed spellpower in importance in ICC is because of teh buff. With a 30% buff you now are having a direct boost to the sheer amount of healing you do per cast. Now it is more important to gem for haste so thatyou can try and get up to the soft haste cap which I believe is around 1260. This haste cap brings your renews down to the lowest gcd and your PoHs become a 2 second cast which can be highly usefull since PoH in an actual fight does more healing than five renews depending on your situation.

    With 20% buff, haste capped (you're close enough) and 4k SP buffed:
    Renew - ~19k per cast = max ~19k HPS
    Glyphed PoH - ~36.5k per cast = max ~18.25k HPS

    Yes, this means that Renew is in fact higher HPS than PoH. But that is only at 0% over-healing. If you can land PoH at nearly any over-heal margin lower than your average over-heal on Renew, then PoH is superior. Also if you happen to have Serendipity for whatever reason (Festergut at 3 inhales etc), then PoH surpasses the HPS of Renew. But in general use what you're looking for is to understand your over-heal margin with Renew (often 35-40%) and then keep an eye out for a chance to land PoH with a lower over-heal rate.

    Remember that Renew's over-heal amount over the course of a fight is pretty static. It's averaged over a ton of ticks on a ton of people so you can count on that. PoH on the other hand is a different style entirely and in particular lines up positively with damage auras at haste cap. That is the cast time is equal to the damage aura tick rate and the glyph's tick rate also allows for aura ticks in between its own ticks. So with proper rhythm you can achieve some very low over-healing with PoH. There's also the Bloodlust factor. When lust is cast in damage aura fights, assuming you have the mana, you can just go nuts with PoH. Just make sure to never PoH the same group more than once every 6 seconds or you'll eat HoT ticks from your glyph. ( This info was provided to me by Harky on MMO Champion)

    With this said you want to do everything you can to make it so you can put out as much healing as possible as quickly as possible. With the buff in ICC it becomes less important to be able to do powerful heals than quick heals to be able to save people when needed. In conclusion it would seem to me that you would be better off gemming for haste instead of spellpower because spellpower is covered by the ICC buff and because if you have too much spellpower thsi will be turned into direct overhealing a good majority of the time. This is because renew will just have a ton of overheal between its own tics and the other healers in your party.

    This also brings me to my other topic which is the use of FH versus renew. From what I can tell unless a renew is already on a target you shouldn't use a renew on someone to keep them up. This is because the initial heal from empowered renew is only about 3-4k healing higher than an average FH spell. This is completely eclipsed after one or two tics of the renew. Also after the renew runs its course a single renew will have healed more than even a GH.
    1. Chances are if you are using PoH it's an emergency and shouldn't have happened.
    2. Flash heal is basicly in the list of least used spells, PoM, Renew and COH carry the brunt of the healing.
    3. It would be good play not to overwrite renews but in reality with mana and the ICC buff it's not likely something you waste time over choosing but i'd say not overwriting renews is a good idea.
    4.Most of this is just consequence of the weak healing design in wrath; you should have to choose whether you Greater heal or Renew, is the tank going to die in the next 2~seconds or can I let renew run its course etc. Currently healing gameplay is as mindless as playing most paladin specs, pick your button and spam it.

  19. #159
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1
    Hi great guide i have been playing my Holy priest since vanilla so i have alot of usless stuff floating around in my head. I
    have been getting alot of grief from healers because i don't use any healing addons like Grid and Healbot ( i use X-pearl and bartender but not much else that affects the way i view the screen ) i have tryed them a few times but i get the impresion my healing is getting slower and it feels like you don't have to think that much, Would you say that these types of addon improve your healing enough that it is worth me sticking with them.

    Ps i am not saying people that use them don't have to think much its just they don't feel right when i am useing them >.<

  20. #160
    Very nice guide, ty for this! I am main spec disc (your other guide helped me a lot for that too), and i just recently changed my second spec to holy. Up until now, i have been tank -and- raid healing as disc with not too much problems (im not doin H modes or anything though), and I wanted to start running as holy so that I can be more effective in my raid healing, as it is quite difficult to do as disc, especialy in 25 mans.

    The thing is, I have a very hard time keeping the raid up in Holy. Im thinking that it is just my mindset as a disc, and I dont know when to use which spells. I have a shammy that I raid heal on all the time, so I'm familiar with the patterns of raid damage against most bosses, it just seems that I dont know when to cast what.

    also, im a little confused about the spec, I have to put points in healing focus, devine fury, blessed recovery, or improved healing to get down to the 5th tier of talents, and in your guide you didnt really recommend any of those four talents. ty very much for reading

    <3 Ryokoh of Shandris <3

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts