+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Cata Holy Priest Guide (4.0.3)

Thanks again for the guide,

Another quick question, is there a "general" breakdown as to how
    much healing you should have from each spell? I guess it may vary
    too much based on content and assignments.

For example, when two healing an ulduar 10 (I was a holy priest,
    the other healer was a tree druid and we basically free-for-all healed):
    My healing breakdown was: 28%flash heal, 25% PoM, 21% CoH, 10%
    PoH -- this is a percentage in terms of healing done, not #of casts.

Am I not using CoH or PoH enough, or is that a reasonable distribution?

It was a good run with and in the final breakdown both healers were close
    in terms of amount healed.

Hi,
    1st - I believe the Shoulder enchant from the Sons of Hodir is now a Bind On Account item so if you have 1 character with the appropriate rep you don't have to grind it again, yay.

2nd - Does casting shield on a tank mess up their their threat or rage generation? A friend told me it did but I think he might of been basing it on old info.

Thanks

Casting PW:S on a tank does not mess up their threat or rage generation, esp with warriors, druids, & DKs. There is an ever so slight negative correlation between SA (tankadins) and absorbs, but is negligible for any relevant content. Rapture off-sets PW:S, but DA will ultimately cause your tankadin to take less damage, ergo take less healing, and thus receive less mana back from SA. Again, this isn't anything to worry about for relevant content and only comes into play if your ToC geared group runs, say, a heroic 5man.

In short, your friend is basing his "facts" on old info.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    Casting PW:S on a tank does not mess up their threat or rage generation, esp with warriors, druids, & DKs. There is an ever so slight negative correlation between SA (tankadins) and absorbs, but is negligible for any relevant content. Rapture off-sets PW:S, but DA will ultimately cause your tankadin to take less damage, ergo take less healing, and thus receive less mana back from SA. Again, this isn't anything to worry about for relevant content and only comes into play if your ToC geared group runs, say, a heroic 5man.

In short, your friend is basing his "facts" on old info.
    Cool, thx.

Opposed thoughts on Greater Heal...

I am gonna have to disagree with Aliena about the effectiveness of Greater Heal in the holy tree. While raid healing may require more AoE heals as opposed to tank healing (using PoH with Serendipity stacks and such), I would say that Serendipity's full stack being used with Greater Heal makes it an excellent health bar restore for any loner close to death, healing at the speed of a flash heal with Divine Fury talents. I've also done tiny bits of math and found that Greater Heal (for my gear, 2.3k SP) has an average 9.1 health per mana ratio, as compared to 6.9 health per mana from Flash Heal even with the Glyph of Flash Heal in effect. At that point, it would be a situational choice between needing to heal multiple people or saving someone with uber low health (even the tank, eh?), but the idea is: Greater Heal is not terrible with serendipity in mind. Anyone else agree? Might just be the fact that I am only doing heroics and stuff so far and need to heal everybody, all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MercenaryIII View Post
    I am gonna have to disagree with Aliena about the effectiveness of Greater Heal in the holy tree. While raid healing may require more AoE heals as opposed to tank healing (using PoH with Serendipity stacks and such), I would say that Serendipity's full stack being used with Greater Heal makes it an excellent health bar restore for any loner close to death, healing at the speed of a flash heal with Divine Fury talents. I've also done tiny bits of math and found that Greater Heal (for my gear, 2.3k SP) has an average 9.1 health per mana ratio, as compared to 6.9 health per mana from Flash Heal even with the Glyph of Flash Heal in effect. At that point, it would be a situational choice between needing to heal multiple people or saving someone with uber low health (even the tank, eh?), but the idea is: Greater Heal is not terrible with serendipity in mind. Anyone else agree? Might just be the fact that I am only doing heroics and stuff so far and need to heal everybody, all the time.
    The drawback to greater heal is the amount of talent points that you have to invest to make it even moderately worthwhile to cast, not to mention it lacks behind in hps and efficiency compared to any other healer's large single target heal. Of course it has some uses in heroics and small-scale raids, but its usefulness declines as you move up in raids. And gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    The drawback to greater heal is the amount of talent points that you have to invest to make it even moderately worthwhile to cast, not to mention it lacks behind in hps and efficiency compared to any other healer's large single target heal. Of course it has some uses in heroics and small-scale raids, but its usefulness declines as you move up in raids. And gear.

This 100%

personally, the only time you will find a GHeal on my logs is at jaraxxus25 where usually i get a flash heal off and then a hasted GH on the flesh targets to help out with it.

there is no other situation where i could think GH was the best spell to use at any point in togc besides jaraxxus/flesh

There we go, a valid point, the investment of talent points towards Greater Heal. After applying the talents I have, I apparently have a greater healing efficiency on my Greater Heal as compared to my Flash Heal as I mentioned (I spend 1 mana point to get about 9 health out of Greater Heal, 1 mana point to get 7 out of Flash Heal, if that makes any more sense, lol). I'm also just looking at priest heals, not comparing other classes, heh.

Thanks for your input guys / gals.

I have been pouring over some of the more progressed priest available in WoL and have come across something I'd like some help in. My HPS is very good, but some of my spells (not effected by IFH and EH respectively) in both specs are below the average with those in the same SPower/Crit range. Mainly CoH and PoM. The only thing I have come up with is that the site's ehps tracker is a greater weight for those who are primarily tank healing over raid healing. I'm on a very small server with no bleeding edge progression guild and appreciate any input.

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Pls ignore the Anub fights but have at the rest.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Wasn't totally sure if this was the correct spot, will also post in a new thread.
    Last edited by Gwenymph; 12-22-2009 at 12:26 AM.

Just wanted to say hi and say thanks for a great guide. Just hit 80 on Monday with my Priest and went straight into healing instances to get gear. Coming from a 80 Resto Druid it was very difference and guides like yours came in handy to help me get over the initial hump. Thanks, keep up the great work and I look forward to future posts/guides.

Thank you for the guide.

I have a question that may be addressed elsewhere and if so, forgive me and point me in the right direct: I'm having issues with "OH SH!#" moments as a holy priest. I'm a new 80 and find that healing a well geared tank and smart DPS in 5 mans is a breeze, however, if I'm with a group that isn't quite as geared and/or smart, I tend to lose one or two or possibly, due to lack of heals, cause a wipe. What's a good strategy for situations like this (yes, I understand that in time I'll learn how to handle it but with the current game as it is, one is sort of thrust into situations rather than eased into). I've also had some problems with 10 mans as well (same "ut oh, think fast" moments). Any tips/hints/suggested would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeshua View Post
    Thank you for the guide.

I have a question that may be addressed elsewhere and if so, forgive me and point me in the right direct: I'm having issues with "OH SH!#" moments as a holy priest. I'm a new 80 and find that healing a well geared tank and smart DPS in 5 mans is a breeze, however, if I'm with a group that isn't quite as geared and/or smart, I tend to lose one or two or possibly, due to lack of heals, cause a wipe. What's a good strategy for situations like this (yes, I understand that in time I'll learn how to handle it but with the current game as it is, one is sort of thrust into situations rather than eased into). I've also had some problems with 10 mans as well (same "ut oh, think fast" moments). Any tips/hints/suggested would be greatly appreciated.
    Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid yet. When you get into a situation where your team isn't quite as geared as they should be then you will run into triage moments. In these instances it's going to be experience that will help you more then what anyone of us will say here. You are basically going to be choosing who lives and who dies, so when you go into this group pay attention to whose doing their job well, they are the ones you want to keep alive. Don't be afraid to use your cool downs either, the only time they are wasted is if you wipe and didn't use one. Remember binding heal is a great tool if you and someone else are taking damage. Always keep PoM out and don't be afraid to shield or renew people even if it's not great for your spec, the instant cast nature can be a life saver. Along the same lines, don't be afraid to use CoH to heal just one person, it's instant cast as well and can provide a buffer for another heal to land, or a hot to tick. You'll obviously only want to use this if you need an instant cast heal but the use is there.

Other then that it's practice and quick decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by Amamaeth View Post
    Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid yet. When you get into a situation where your team isn't quite as geared as they should be then you will run into triage moments. In these instances it's going to be experience that will help you more then what anyone of us will say here. You are basically going to be choosing who lives and who dies, so when you go into this group pay attention to whose doing their job well, they are the ones you want to keep alive. Don't be afraid to use your cool downs either, the only time they are wasted is if you wipe and didn't use one. Remember binding heal is a great tool if you and someone else are taking damage. Always keep PoM out and don't be afraid to shield or renew people even if it's not great for your spec, the instant cast nature can be a life saver. Along the same lines, don't be afraid to use CoH to heal just one person, it's instant cast as well and can provide a buffer for another heal to land, or a hot to tick. You'll obviously only want to use this if you need an instant cast heal but the use is there.

Other then that it's practice and quick decision making.
    An excellent response and made sense; experience will have to prevail and until then, live and learn. I laughed at the start of you reply "Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid yet." In a recent pug raid where I was on my main and not healing, several people died and began "raging" against the healer. The tank/raid leader piped in and said, "Hey, don't blame the healer, she isn't spec'd to heal stupid."

Thank you for the tips and hints. I'm going to consider these as I progress.

And thank you for this site, hard to find up-to-date information for us noobs who are quite the crunchers that others are.

An excellent response and made sense; experience will have to prevail and until then, live and learn. I laughed at the start of you reply "Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid yet." In a recent pug raid where I was on my main and not healing, several people died and began "raging" against the healer. The tank/raid leader piped in and said, "Hey, don't blame the healer, she isn't spec'd to heal stupid."

And thank you for this site, hard to find up-to-date information for us noobs who are quite the crunchers that others are.
    I actually wrote a much more detailed answer to this on my blog here: Don't Panic! - TankSpot

the reply you got is pretty accurate. however remember theres always a priority on your heals. in a 5man theres 1tank 1healer 3 dps. priority is simply made by what death will cause you to wipe or what death will hurt your group the most. in this case, tank would be on top of the list, then you, and then the dps. for panic moments remember you want to follow this order (will take some time) and also with more experience as said before you will get better at anticipating damage. healing is all about anticipation. if you know where the damage is coming from, and to who, then it becomes easier. an example for a panic moment in my case would be to use my cooldowns. if you're going disc (which i like for 5mans unless you're holy and very well geared) then you could use Power Infusion on yourself, shield somebody, pain suppresion, and then inner focus + divine hymn will help you survive. remember in this moment you just want to survive, you dont really need to top anyone off. holy in the other hand you could try using binding heals, get hasted prayer of healings, use the guardian spirit accordingly, and again Inner Focus with Divine Hymn. always remember its very important to use FADE. in this kind of situations aggro is most likely an issue and you'll be healing by a ton in a very short amount of time. every single healing priest should have fade on their bars so you don't die

also id like to add that you shouldn't really hate the 'stupid'. those that stand in the fires are the ones that are making you a good healer actually. making your reaction better, your anticipation better, and overall they're making you a very strong healer. when you get to a decent experience/skill level a big part of that is the people that was standing in the fires with a crappy geared tank always bouncing in half hp making you actually think and take the best decision in matter of milliseconds

good luck!

As stated before, WONDROUS guide. I was having a real hard time healing, pushing Greater Heal, having no clue what I was doing..then I found this guide. GREAT!

I want to backup Aliena's assertion that Holy Priests are not tank healers. We're not. Sure, in light instances, we can Renew/PoM all day...no worry, no major mana pool. But get in the thick of it?

A fine example is the Sparring area of Shattered Halls. That place is a nightmare. Tanks drop health like rain. PoM/Renew/Flash healing, rinse, repeat, pray like heck you don't run out of mana, even with a great tank. It's tough.

My 80 Priest guildies confirm this..they have the same problem.

I'm almost 75, but I'm focusing on Outlands Heroics to get the healing rhythm to a science. I've been there Yeshua, and it's horrible, but Amamaeth is right on the money: Keep the tank alive at all costs, unless there's a DPS (say, a Paladin) who can pick up the pieces and keep things moving.

NEVER be afraid to let a party member die for the sake of the party. I've never, in over 30+ Outlands Heroics, ever had a party member cry about dying when everyone else lived, when it came down to the wire.

This is a great guide but I personally have one disagreement. I think that Renew is an incredibly useful spell and shouldn't be missed speccing on with Talents. I often use a combo of PW:S and Renew, especially if I see my tank is losing health to fast for me to get a Flash Heal out. While the PW:S and Renew is keeping him safe for a few seconds I can whack off a Flash Heal. By the time the second Flash Heal lands the PW:S is knocked off, third Flash Heal incoming and lands and then I have a full Serendipity stack to use for a Greater Heal or if the entire group has been hit with damage a PoH.

I really find Renew to be a very very useful spell to use and one I don't think Priests should avoid and dismiss, especially once it has gained its talent points it really is an amazing spell to have in your arsenal.

And sorry for the double post but wanted to comment on healing priority. My healing priority is really simple. Tank > Healer > {DPS}. The reason why DPS is in brackets is that within DPS you can have priority. Plate > Mail > Leather > Cloth

If your tank is doing fine but the DPS are suffering then my first heal to DPS will be the plate wearers, then mail, leather and lastly cloth. Simple reason is that if the tank does go down the Plate guys are better capable if filling in as a tank until I can res the MT.

Quote Originally Posted by Liandrus View Post
    This is a great guide but I personally have one disagreement. I think that Renew is an incredibly useful spell and shouldn't be missed speccing on with Talents. I often use a combo of PW:S and Renew, especially if I see my tank is losing health to fast for me to get a Flash Heal out. While the PW:S and Renew is keeping him safe for a few seconds I can whack off a Flash Heal. By the time the second Flash Heal lands the PW:S is knocked off, third Flash Heal incoming and lands and then I have a full Serendipity stack to use for a Greater Heal or if the entire group has been hit with damage a PoH.

I really find Renew to be a very very useful spell to use and one I don't think Priests should avoid and dismiss, especially once it has gained its talent points it really is an amazing spell to have in your arsenal.
    1.) Did you read the guide? Aliena didn't dismiss it or anything like that, she said, quite clearly that it is a filler spell that you can use at your preference. That is exactly what renew is.
    2.) Did you need to post this here? You already made a thread about renew and there was plenty of information in there.

+ Reply to Thread