+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cata Holy Priest Guide (4.0.3)

Video, was ok with the only exception on mention of the Disp. As a tank I will not have a Disp Priest in the raid. Especially on me! I will have either a Holy Pally or Holy Priest. There isn't anything better than to really get healed. Bubbling isn't healing and thus a Disp priest arenít healing. I've tanked since WoW has started as a Druid tank. Iíve tanked as a Warrior, Druid, Pally and DK. If you have a Disp Priest on a warrior or Druid and they just bubble then you are hosing your tank and they aren't going to hold the aggro. Hence, no Disp priest arenít allowed any raid I run. You will have to be spec holy, holy main/off spec or find yourself a new guild! Disp priest are really a joke as MH and OH. Very long story short; because I tanked as a warrior on Darrowmere I was role reversed as a priest on this server. I have healed most of this expansion. So I have very clear picture of both sides now.

Due to the recession my old guild is dead and am now am going back to tanking again and much happier as a pally tank. Having the warrior back would have been better. I still think Warriors are the best boss tank and pallies are the best trash tank.

Run a 50% bubbling Disp priest only sim vs a holy heal sim if you donít believe me. See what happens. Really getting healed; there is nothing like it. And I have an out of sight repair bill to prove it too as a holy priest. Disp priest did nothing more than bubbling the whole time.

Disp Priest; L2Heal

/End Rant

That was..um..an enlightening piece of writing there, Gruurk.

Especially the parts where Warriors are the best boss tanks and Disc priests can't heal.

Quote Originally Posted by gruurk View Post
    Video, was ok with the only exception on mention of the Disp. As a tank I will not have a Disp Priest in the raid. Especially on me! I will have either a Holy Pally or Holy Priest. There isn't anything better than to really get healed. Bubbling isn't healing and thus a Disp priest arenít healing. I've tanked since WoW has started as a Druid tank. Iíve tanked as a Warrior, Druid, Pally and DK. If you have a Disp Priest on a warrior or Druid and they just bubble then you are hosing your tank and they aren't going to hold the aggro. Hence, no Disp priest arenít allowed any raid I run. You will have to be spec holy, holy main/off spec or find yourself a new guild! Disp priest are really a joke as MH and OH. Very long story short; because I tanked as a warrior on Darrowmere I was role reversed as a priest on this server. I have healed most of this expansion. So I have very clear picture of both sides now.

Due to the recession my old guild is dead and am now am going back to tanking again and much happier as a pally tank. Having the warrior back would have been better. I still think Warriors are the best boss tank and pallies are the best trash tank.

Run a 50% bubbling Disp priest only sim vs a holy heal sim if you donít believe me. See what happens. Really getting healed; there is nothing like it. And I have an out of sight repair bill to prove it too as a holy priest. Disp priest did nothing more than bubbling the whole time.

Disp Priest; L2Heal

/End Rant
    I think you're stuck in the last expansion somehow. I would offer you a time portal but I'm kind of scared to be sharing the same universe with you.

Kidding. Sort of.

Dollars to donuts that guy has the gear score mod installed and swears by it.

Probably also validates his own bias every time he raids by linking healing meters in recount and mocking the disc priest.

Disp Priest; L2Heal

/End Rant
    Hilarity in wall of text form.
    If you are traumatized to have a Discipline Priest near you as a Warrior or Druid, learn how to tank properly. Regardless what age you may live in.

Vanilla it was a small issue being bubbled, but you learned how to adjust if that was the case. By Burning Crusade I couldn't care less if I was bubbled, and especially in this age being bubbled means nothing unless you're overgeared for the content in which case you'll be rage starved anyway. In that last scenario, stuff dies fast enough it hardly matters.

I've played this game since launch as a tank, whether it be Druid or Warrior and I've never had problems being bubbled. Ever. It could be that I started with a good friend of mine that made the choice to be a Priest that was liberal with his bubble button. Regardless, if you know what you're doing, you have nothing to be afraid of if you get bubbled.

Discipline Priests are amazing healers, especially now.
    Great guide Aliena, very helpful for the Priest I'm leveling.
    "Upon an order we plead, with the lure of a song, a sacred song, to the moon and the stars. An illusionary light is here placed."

Disp Priest; L2Heal

/End Rant
    While I know you are just longing for attention and I am going to give you it fine.

Bubbles have no affect on rage the only tanks that suffer are paladins when they severely out gear instances.

Bubbles are often very useful if not overpowered.

Disc priests can be very good tank healers when required not as good as paladins but pretty much on par with every other tank healer class. Still you are better off now days using disc priests as a burst tank healer and raid mitigator...

Your experiance is kinda rofl, I could NEVER do what I do in 10 mans as holy prehaps you ought to look before you speak and think before you act?

I've already had someone like you on the WoW forums tell me absorption isn't healing and no its not its better than healing, it never needs to be healed the damage is effectively removed and effectively the player with a shield gains 8k EH. Which is probably better than ANY class for burst damage control especially when you combine the fastest strongest single target heal in the game (yes it may have a cooldown but its still powerful).

Disp Priest; L2Heal

/End Rant
    It's funny how he try to prove himself by saying he healed as a priest on both spec before. If his reasoning is <There isn't anything better than to really get healed. Bubbling isn't healing and thus a Disp priest arenít healing.>... I can only tell him.

"Grats on being king on recount meter. Perhaps you could do an internet search and look for things call Guessabosbs, World of logs or wow online meter. Oh. you don't know whats that, k... no wonder you fail."

What's STRANGE is that my alt is warrior tank and in a raid if i were to chose Disc or Holy to HEAL ME. I will never chose Holy. if your having problem holding aggo as tank BECAUSE a disc priest is healing you...

A. Current xpansion/content, IF you cannot hold aggo as tank for most fights (less off like 10% of some fights). Can NEVER be dued to no rage/mana. so just...DELETE ALL your tanks. you are just pure fail.

B. If you are just back in game and have PHOBIA on disc priest's shield obstruct rage/mana, please go and read up Aliena's Disc priest guide and read up more on warrior/druid tank for this xpansion and how pally tank can easily rollface and get back mana WITHOUT being heal.

So, stop failing and pick up your skill(aka L2P) or STOP LIVING IN THE PAST and come back to present.

gruurk seems to me, an obvious troll....better suited for the official forums...

Doc

Video, was ok with the only exception on mention of the Disp. As a tank I will not have a Disp Priest in the raid. Especially on me! I will have either a Holy Pally or Holy Priest. There isn't anything better than to really get healed. Bubbling isn't healing and thus a Disp priest aren’t healing. I've tanked since WoW has started as a Druid tank. I’ve tanked as a Warrior, Druid, Pally and DK. If you have a Disp Priest on a warrior or Druid and they just bubble then you are hosing your tank and they aren't going to hold the aggro. Hence, no Disp priest aren’t allowed any raid I run. You will have to be spec holy, holy main/off spec or find yourself a new guild! Disp priest are really a joke as MH and OH. Very long story short; because I tanked as a warrior on Darrowmere I was role reversed as a priest on this server. I have healed most of this expansion. So I have very clear picture of both sides now.

Run a 50% bubbling Disp priest only sim vs a holy heal sim if you don’t believe me. See what happens. Really getting healed; there is nothing like it. And I have an out of sight repair bill to prove it too as a holy priest. Disp priest did nothing more than bubbling the whole time.

Disp Priest; L2Heal

/End Rant
    sounds as if you were joking, but anyways, healing+absorbs = negation. fights like algalon or freya hardmode are pretty well handled by a disc. priest, since
    "bubbling" virtually increases your total HP. so that you can actually take a big algalon hit and survive (tank), and in freya for the ground tremor (raid). for actual content, just look for twin valks absorbs. those are just two lil examples. im pretty sure you're just joking, i just couldn't read your post and say nothing :P

to clarify our fellow priests that came here to learn and improve their game:
    1) disc priests are very powerful. id say they are mandatory for certain fights even.
    2) they are very strong in their direct healing, but also in some fights they can greatly reduce the raid dmg. (Twins,Freya)
    3) holy priest is the worst class in the game to heal a tank. you would need to go disc.

Quote Originally Posted by montblanclol View Post
    sounds as if you were joking, but anyways, healing+absorbs = negation. fights like algalon or freya hardmode are pretty well handled by a disc. priest, since
    "bubbling" virtually increases your total HP. so that you can actually take a big algalon hit and survive (tank), and in freya for the ground tremor (raid). for actual content, just look for twin valks absorbs. those are just two lil examples. im pretty sure you're just joking, i just couldn't read your post and say nothing :P

to clarify our fellow priests that came here to learn and improve their game:
    1) disc priests are very powerful. id say they are mandatory for certain fights even.
    2) they are very strong in their direct healing, but also in some fights they can greatly reduce the raid dmg. (Twins,Freya)
    3) holy priest is the worst class in the game to heal a tank. you would need to go disc.
    I have to agree with you on this one. Disc priests are fantastic tank heals, they prevent a lot of tank and raid damage and also if they're glyphed for their sheilds, an additional 1-2K healing is given. Not to mention the added bonuses of Renewed Hope(increases critical heals by you on targets with weakened soul by 4%) and Divine Ages(which can proc from a shield and absorbe additional damage).
    Imagine the amount of damage negation when the legendary mace comes into play. When it comes to raid healing, they are a bit weak.

With my priest (who is holy) I found that getting Body and Soul 2/2 and 4/5 Empowered healing with a full test of faith and empowered renew was the most effective in TOCG raiding. (With the no speed increase on Icehowel body and soul makes a large difference for ensuring everyone can move. However, other than that and the convince of 'sprinting' around, I don't see a whole lot of use in this talent. I'm just the person who enjoys running about with increased speed to move out of AOE or out of anub's kite path).

I admit not getting serendipity can cause some frustration with only relying on circle of healing and the 10 min CD Divine Hymn (really should have a shorter cool down) for AOE healing (I make up for that by spamming renew and some occasions holy nova(like on 10 tocg anub) which actually works nicely).
    However, with the competition for raid heals, I discovered that I was not flash healing often (only when surge of light was up) and would rarely make use of Prayer of Healing cast reduction when serendipity was fully stacked. Because by the time I would cast it, very health would be actually restored, (Perhaps if I was a haste fan I would find this spell to be more useful).

I did some math and discovered that with my current haste, I would only get a .3216 less of a cast time with prayer of healing (with the 12% talent, .2144% with the 8% talent, and .1072% with the 4% talent)when there was a 3 stack of Serendipity. In the time it took me to cast that spell, I could circle of healing, use my surge of light proc and renew on everyone that would of been affected by prayer of healing.

Overall, I decided that renew was my favored healing spell (especially on twins) since it's an instant cast and will heal from 2.8-3.5K instantly non-crit. I'm almost always a raid healer and am competing with druids, another holy priest, and usually a restro shaman for heals, so it's a battle to out heal them.

I fail to see why you guys keep supporting a bad spec for healing. Holy is the only way to go for priest if the subject is healing. True Story: My old guild has died due to this recession and am more than likely not that far behind them. So I just joined a new guild this week. I have a Prot Pally and Holy Priest in it. We go to ONY10 but in this situation all of the normal tanks including myself aren't tanking it but we are going to heal it. We are going to use a Warrior MT and DK OT. We have one Disp Priest (normally Frost DK), one Restro Shammy (normally Prot Pally) and me as a holy priest (Prot Pally). We wipe, wipe and wipe in the 2nd phase. No matter how much we tried; it didn't happen.

The reports from the encounter indicated that I out healed (Holy) the lot followed by the restro shammy and then Disp was dead last on healing (has about 150 more points in gear). The Disp Priest was bubbling like normal and I think dpsing as well. I was too busy to watch because I had the OT and raid. So where is that great healing at? Remember bubbling a warrior or druid isn't good. It cuts into the rage and limits their ability to hold aggro. It's ok, in a moment of crisis and it's better to hold the tank up so you can get that heal in and take a risk to loose aggro for a brief moment. But constantly isnít going to work. I've been wrong before and don't mind if I am but show me that great prove because as an ex warrior/druid tank am not impressed. I still really miss my warrior when it comes to tanking.

So act like am from Missouri. Show me some proof.

We go to ONY10 but in this situation all of the normal tanks including myself aren't tanking it but we are going to heal it. We are going to use a Warrior MT and DK OT. We have one Disp Priest (normally Frost DK), one Restro Shammy (normally Prot Pally) and me as a holy priest (Prot Pally). We wipe, wipe and wipe in the 2nd phase. No matter how much we tried; it didn't happen.

Wiping repeatedly in Onyxia 10 has nothing to do with healing class makeup. People just failed.

and then Disp was dead last on healing (has about 150 more points in gear). The Disp Priest was bubbling like normal and I think dpsing as well.

Gee, maybe he was dead last because he was DPSing and because absorbs from shields don't show up on precious recount meters? (Why was he DPSing at all?)

Remember bubbling a warrior or druid isn't good. It cuts into the rage and limits their ability to hold aggro.

This is not true and has not been true for a long time. Sorry.

It's ok, in a moment of crisis and it's better to hold the tank up so you can get that heal in and take a risk to loose aggro for a brief moment. But constantly isn’t going to work.

Again, not true. Even if it WERE true (Which it still isn't) if a tank lost aggro because of a PW:S, they would be doing something terribly wrong.

Healing meters are a TERRRIBLE way of measureing anything, anyway. The very fact that you're using them as a way to measure that one class is better or worse than another is the first clue that your logic is flawed.

maybe Gruurk isn't a troll, but just misinformed....
    meters = fail, until they count damage reduction as = to heals.
    -5% aggro from bubble should not be a problem for any REAL tank.
    GL

Doc

Remember bubbling a warrior or druid isn't good. It cuts into the rage and limits their ability to hold aggro.
    The shield gives 8 rage.

I fail to see why you guys keep supporting a bad spec for healing. Holy is the only way to go for priest if the subject is healing. True Story: My old guild has died due to this recession and am more than likely not that far behind them. So I just joined a new guild this week. I have a Prot Pally and Holy Priest in it. We go to ONY10 but in this situation all of the normal tanks including myself aren't tanking it but we are going to heal it. We are going to use a Warrior MT and DK OT. We have one Disp Priest (normally Frost DK), one Restro Shammy (normally Prot Pally) and me as a holy priest (Prot Pally). We wipe, wipe and wipe in the 2nd phase. No matter how much we tried; it didn't happen.

The reports from the encounter indicated that I out healed (Holy) the lot followed by the restro shammy and then Disp was dead last on healing (has about 150 more points in gear). The Disp Priest was bubbling like normal and I think dpsing as well. I was too busy to watch because I had the OT and raid. So where is that great healing at? Remember bubbling a warrior or druid isn't good. It cuts into the rage and limits their ability to hold aggro. It's ok, in a moment of crisis and it's better to hold the tank up so you can get that heal in and take a risk to loose aggro for a brief moment. But constantly isnít going to work. I've been wrong before and don't mind if I am but show me that great prove because as an ex warrior/druid tank am not impressed. I still really miss my warrior when it comes to tanking.

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

25 TOCG Faction champions, notice that both priests are disc. Now before you fluff your feathers and rant on saying something along the lines of "lol priests got out healed by paladins."
    Look at the dispels.
    There are many reasons why a disc priest will not beat cretin classes in healing meters, one of those reasons is because they are doing their jobs, dispelling.
    I await your next misguided retort.

The reports from the encounter indicated that I out healed (Holy) the lot followed by the restro shammy and then Disp was dead last on healing (has about 150 more points in gear). The Disp Priest was bubbling like normal and I think dpsing as well. I was too busy to watch because I had the OT and raid. So where is that great healing at? Remember bubbling a warrior or druid isn't good. It cuts into the rage and limits their ability to hold aggro. It's ok, in a moment of crisis and it's better to hold the tank up so you can get that heal in and take a risk to loose aggro for a brief moment. But constantly isn’t going to work. I've been wrong before and don't mind if I am but show me that great prove because as an ex warrior/druid tank am not impressed. I still really miss my warrior when it comes to tanking.

It's not a bad spec, you're just bad at it or don't understand it. As long as you are simply looking at the meters and saying "well he's at the bottom, clearly he sucks" you will NEVER understand it. You need to take into account healer roles and mechanics. Holy Priests heal differently than Discipline Priests. Also, if one of the healers is DPSing that usually means you have too many healers so he's looking for something to do.

Just from what I've read about your failed attempt at Onyxia, the blame can't be put on anyone. Since you were clearly on alts, how are we to know how badly geared the group was? You can do Onyxia10 with one tank and one healer so three healers is a bit overkill unless you have a poorly geared raid. Bad DPS prolongs the fight and can cause healers to go OOM, a badly geared tank runs the risk of being destroyed by any combination of melee swings, cleaves, wing buffets, and flame breaths etc.. Since you say you've been wiping in Phase 2, it could be bad DPS, people failing at Deep Breath or Ignite Weapon/Blast Nova, tanks could be failing at picking stuff up causing more healing than is necessary, the list goes on.

The fact you keep trying to play the threat card also shows us that you still don't understand current tank mechanics. The amount of threat tanks do now is simpy stupid (particularly when played properly). I could care less if I was bubbled constantly on either of my Rage tanks. If you ever lose aggro after the first 5 seconds of a fight, you screwed up as a tank, or a DPS got a bit overzealous from the start. Hodir and Vezax hardmodes (easy modes I could care less about as enrage timers are extremely lax) are the only "threat sensitive" fights in the game and thus the only real cases where DPS would pull aggro after the tank has control. That's it. Not to mention 98% of everything in the game is tauntable. It's not hard to watch Omen to see who may be near you on threat and be able to taunt instantly should you lose aggro. The majority of DPS classes also have aggro drops of some form and intelligent ones know how to use them should the need ever arise (virtually never with a smart tank). Warriors can also juggle Vigilance, or Intervene people if the particular encounter allows for it.
    Last edited by tuffmuffin; 10-27-2009 at 02:11 PM.
    "Upon an order we plead, with the lure of a song, a sacred song, to the moon and the stars. An illusionary light is here placed."

... I still really miss my warrior when it comes to tanking.
    I think that's the main reason why you're still in vanilla mode (and sadly very very misinformed). Hop onto your warrior and try it out again, you'll notice that it isn't like that anymore.

When you talk about heal meters, did you look at your overheals as well? We're you also top on overheals?

Like everyone in the thread has said, shields now give you some rage. On top of that, it's direct dmg mitigation and will definitely not show up on your heal meter but get this, if the shield absorbs 8k of dmg... that's equivalent to 2/3s of your gheal without crit and 1/2 of your gheal crit. On top of that, because of their talents, the disc priest can be casting another heal or shield while you're waiting for your next gheal.

I agree with Doc, maybe you're just sadly misinformed... perhaps you should take the time and re-study the changes since you went AWOL in WoW.

I disagree with statements like "Holy Priests make the worst tank healers."

1. Ability>Spec A good Holy Priest is a better tank healer than an average Disc Priest
    2. I agree that a Disc Priest has a few more tricks up his sleeve than a Holy Priest for single target healing, but the Holy Tree does have Guardian Spirit (especially glyphed), Surge of Light Procs, Serendipity hasted Greater Heals, and Test of Faith, plus Circle of Healing and Empowered Renew giving Holy Priests the most true Instant Cast heals.
    3. In terms of what class has the fewest tools for main tank healing, I'd have to vote for Resto Shaman. Not that I'd say a Resto Shammy couldn't MT heal, just that Holy Priest has a few more tricks which would give him a slight edge.

Given time to learn the ins and outs of tank healing, any class or spec can excel at this task. If I had to rank based on tools available, I'd put it like this:

Best tank healers (tie)--Disc Priest, Paladin
    Very good tank healers (tie)--Resto Druid, Resto Shammy, Holy Priest
    Bad tank healers--Rogues, Hunters, DK's, Warriors, Warlocks, Mages

Mostly, I'm objecting to the word "worst" used as though one was saying "A raid leader would have to be a total idiot to assign a Holy Priest to Main Tank healing duties."

Quote Originally Posted by Brittmari View Post
    Mostly, I'm objecting to the word "worst" used as though one was saying "A raid leader would have to be a total idiot to assign a Holy Priest to Main Tank healing duties."
    Sadly, that's currently how it is. While I can get the job done (badly compared to any other class played by a player of similar performance and gear level), you'd never find me tank healing as holy, I'd switch specs beforehand. It's just no good.

+ Reply to Thread