+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dustwallow Marsh Onyxia

There was much talk about that and after looking we determined that the whelps had to hatch withing 10 seconds of her lifting off (not sure if it's 10 sec before, after or both) and she was at still above 95% when she knocked me over the wall.

But we did decide that next we'd go for achievement and just have tanks run into caves while she's headed back for liftoff. They were pretty easy to pick up when you're in the cave with 'em.

In 25 man you have 3 tanks and in the air phase, you have left pit tank, right pit tank and big adds tank there simply shouldn't be whelps free. Each tank has there own healer who stays close.

As pit add tank it's pretty cyclic pick up mob at your pit generate some agro on them walk them over to middle nuke down ... rinse repeat.

The dps need to be selective about what they are dps'ing onyxia, welps or big adds. Our usual instructions are if there are 2 big adds up all dps onto the skull marked big add. If welps are in middle range use 1 or max 2 full aoe cycles on them (if they keep aoe'ing they will most likely out agro the tank and die to whelps) then range goes straight back to onyxia. When she deep breaths everybody gets to side.

We find with those simple instructions even the most retarded pugs can do it.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

What we do in my guild is burn heroism towards the end of phase 1, since she runs off and just hovers in the air for quite a bit a tthe start of phase 2.
    We try to burn her there as much as possible to shorten phase 2.

what would you say would be the minimum mtying requirements for the 25 man version, i did the 10 version a couple of times now.
    If you want her is my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoku View Post
    what would you say would be the minimum mtying requirements for the 25 man version, i did the 10 version a couple of times now.
    If you want her is my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory
    Well... id say you would be fine.
    For more info on your current gear status and raids you should focus on you can go to wow-heroes.com

i found a direct link to your char. which is:
    WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings
    There is no "ctrl" on Fluxx his keyboard... Fluxx is always in control.

This is a question related 25man Ony.

Last night we did our first 25man run after months (yay!) but Onyxia was a big trouble for us.

This was of course caused by lots of DCs when AOE was pouring down all they have on whelps but I died 2 times in a row before that even.
    • First death : When I started the pull and she first hit me with cleave of 27k and 1 sec later 20k of normal hit.
    • 2nd death : Caused by a cleave of 25-27k followed by wing buffet of 26-27k (i think)again within 1 second during phase 1.

Now as these could be bad luck I wonder if more healing (along with no DCs) would be necessary. We had 5 healers ; 1 disco priest, 1 resto shammy and 3 resto druids.

Or is it because I should gear myself up (or any other tanks in that matter of course) a bit more? I know wow-heroes says I should focus on Toc25 and Ony25 but still it wouldn't hurt to ask
    Last edited by kalharas; 10-27-2009 at 02:32 AM.

Onxyia 25 man problems

Kk i've bn tanking Ony both in Vanilla and her new Wotlk versions. but recently bn getting 1shotted when doing the pull on 25 man after several attempts got the pally tank to do it instead. now my question is is it me ie my gear or is there something we doing wrong [ie me] or is my gear not good enough for it The World of Warcraft Armory ----------------
    Last edited by Kazeyonoma; 11-06-2009 at 05:15 PM.

I have actually found that tanking her in a back corner works well for both phase one and phase three. I do this by kiting her strait up the middle, then sliding east along the wall until I am in the corner and she is up against the wall. Its good for the rest of the raid to know which corner you are going for so they can move up the room on the opposite side from the side the tail will be rotating on, but simple instructions save all but the densest ones.

During phase 1 this only has one advantage... the tail is as far as possible from either whelp cave entrance.. and in a place where nobody is likely to be hit by it to begin with.

During Phase 3 there is an added advantage to putting her lengthwise against the north wall... the tank is standing in a corner so the directions he can get feared into are controlled. You can't go North so the tail can't go south and into the raid. You can't go East either. If you fear in either of these directions you will end up against the wall and movement will be extremely minimal. South shouldn't be much of a problem because the raid is all around the midsection so they won't get hit by the breath. In fact only a very unlucky South West orientation combined with very unlucky timing on the breath attack, will cause the raid to get hit by the breath.

So no tail swipes on raid, very low probability of breath on the raid, and generally solid control of position when feared, make positioning her lengthwise up against the north wall seem optimal to me.

Is she tauntable when she lands for Phase 3? I believe, back in the olden days, you could not taunt her at all. Thanks!

Big thing for the AOE DCs(as a tank, this was pretty important for me to solve): Disable recount and any similar combat log tool. I went from "DCing within 5 seconds of 0,2fps whelp burning" to "Smoothly, at 60 fps, handling each of the many many whelps being burned by most of the raid".

Not hide, not reconfigure, DISABLE.

Phase three = back wall with a twist if you so desire, I bring her along the back wall but not straight in , instead of a back wall approach as u do in phase one i have her tail turned either to the left or right whelp cave all DPS ranged and melee stay to one side of her, her tail is damn near at the cave entrance and everyone is far enough away from the cave entrance during her fear that extra adds are eliminated thru this process as well all healers are always in range of all raid members and we have " GReatT SuCCeSS, and then we ask Ony for Sexxy time"
    Violence isnt the answer to anything, however it may present itself as the only solution within your reach

+ Reply to Thread