+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Was told I don't have the gear to tank Ulduar o.O

  1. #1

    Was told I don't have the gear to tank Ulduar o.O

    As the title states, I was told last night by the assigned MT(guildie) that I don't have the gear to tank Ulduar. This only came up on the Ignis fight where the MT assigned me to tank Ignis as he said that "handling the adds is more difficult than tanking Ignis".

    We wiped roughly 4-5 times on this fight which I'm completely convinced was the fault of the healers in that they were being silenced by flame jets.

    Needless to say the MT kept blaming the wipe on me not having the gear. So I'd like to ask you all here what your thoughts are on this.

    WoW Armory

    P.S. My HP was sitting just over 34k fully raid buffed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hämeenlinna, Finland
    Posts
    22
    Your MT was wrong.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    81
    34k raid buffed is a little low, especially if this was 25. Even if they're not getting locked out by the jets, its several seconds that you can't be safely healed except by instants, so depending on your healer comp you may need the EH to soak several hits. 34k puts you in danger of gibbing.

    I wouldn't kick you out for it, but I would make sure the healers were ready with backups to get you healed during the jets.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
    Your MT was wrong.
    Thanks for clearing that up. A few more comments from others confirming this would be great. It'll make my case more solid. Thanks.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by morelore View Post
    34k raid buffed is a little low, especially if this was 25. Even if they're not getting locked out by the jets, its several seconds that you can't be safely healed except by instants, so depending on your healer comp you may need the EH to soak several hits. 34k puts you in danger of gibbing.

    I wouldn't kick you out for it, but I would make sure the healers were ready with backups to get you healed during the jets.
    I forgot to mention that this was 10 man Ulduar

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    272
    Also, how fast was your raiding dispensing of the golems? I believe he does 10% extra damage for each one that is up.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JokerFMJ View Post
    Also, how fast was your raiding dispensing of the golems? I believe he does 10% extra damage for each one that is up.
    I actually couldn't say. My focus was on tanking Ignis, watching CD's etc. I didn't notice more than one up at a time so I presume killing them wasn't an issue.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    charlotte, nc
    Posts
    158
    i will agree and say that your gear is fine for uld 10, however-i think a few naxx25, voa10/25 and things like that can def. benefit you in the long run. Heroic epics are epics however tier sets and naxx epics that are suited for you as a dk can be more helpful for you as a tank. People forget that prior to 3.2, everyone else was still tanking uld10 as their starter in naxx25 gear or less. As for your gear being the blame for not downing ignis thats just plain dumb.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    227
    I agree with what everyone has said u are geared enough for 10 Man Ulduar especially the first few easy bosses And just from curiosity what class is the MT anyways?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    WI, USA
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
    Your MT was wrong.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Padinbann View Post
    I agree with what everyone has said u are geared enough for 10 Man Ulduar especially the first few easy bosses And just from curiosity what class is the MT anyways?
    He is a pally.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    214
    In order to tank tier 8 content you much have tier 9 gear. :P

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    28
    Wow your MT must have hi head up his @#$.

    If your group is just geared for this fight.... and your best healer goes in the pot, well that can cause a wipe real fast.

    Take a look at your recount and see how you were taking dmg. You can determine if your gear is ok. Goto the "Deaths" page and click on your name,the last few seconds of the fight will be shown, did you just slowly run out of HP or was Ignis taken huge chunks at a time? Even if he was hitting you like a truck, that is not a cause for a wipe, that is why we have healers... I expect you were flasked, and had a potion of industrutability? These will help a little, the potion during the healer silence is a self preservation move, and hell they last 2 min, and extra 3500 armor will mitigate he hits a bit.

    Get a combat logger, and review after the fights.... how much are you actually not getting hit? As you cant carry a shield, knowing actually how much you mitigate is very important.

    If this MT keeps givin you hell, well there are a ton of other guilds you can run with, so bounce, and find one that wants to find a way to beat the boss, not beat up the other players for a wipe..

    Good luck

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    272
    lol Sadly it feels as if that's how people judge sometimes...
    Last edited by Wilhem; 10-08-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Reworded my stupid sentence.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,028
    I think your MT is "special". Did he ride the short bus to school?

    One suggestion. You might want to move the 2 talent points from Icy Reach to 2 Handed Weapon Sepcialization - the 4% damage is better for threat and damage then the distance gain from Icy Reach.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    718
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom Rush View Post
    We wiped roughly 4-5 times on this fight which I'm completely convinced was the fault of the healers in that they were being silenced by flame jets.

    Needless to say the MT kept blaming the wipe on me not having the gear. So I'd like to ask you all here what your thoughts are on this.
    Gears fine.

    Can I ask the obvious question were you straffiing the moment you saw him setup the jets to put the hot spot down.

    Standing in that crap for any length of time will stress the healers ... its the biggest thing you can do to minimize damage.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    I think your MT is "special". Did he ride the short bus to school?

    One suggestion. You might want to move the 2 talent points from Icy Reach to 2 Handed Weapon Sepcialization - the 4% damage is better for threat and damage then the distance gain from Icy Reach.
    Threat isn't an issue for me so I put the two point into Icy Reach for the purpose of using HB as a secondary pull option because DnD is usually on cooldown when I need to pull the next group of mobs.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by uglybbtoo View Post
    Gears fine.

    Can I ask the obvious question were you straffiing the moment you saw him setup the jets to put the hot spot down.

    Standing in that crap for any length of time will stress the healers ... its the biggest thing you can do to minimize damage.
    The second I saw Ignis casting scorch I started strafing. So I was never taking too much damage if any from it.

  19. #19
    Your gear is ok. I had so much less gear that what you had when I started with Ulduar 10. Only thing I notice is your low dodge + parry. Maybe some enchants (prof and reputation enchants) could help, if they're not yet there.

    Check if your healers are getting silenced during the jets, and if the adds are getting downed fast enough, because they buff Ignis for each one of them running around.

    Also, in our guild, we find it best to use a DK tank for taking care of the adds, because of Chains of Ice. Kite them through the scorched patch, chain them as they go in, by the time they cross the patch, they're already molten. Run to the water, then taunt or grip them in.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    186
    Hi there!

    I'm quite at a loss. I can't understand people like your "MT" who blame others for several wipes and don't switch positions.

    As others have mentioned DKs have superior utility for addtanking on Ignis and should be on that duty over a pally anyway (and yes, I play tankadin).

    Your gear should carry you through the encounter if nothing goes seriously wrong >> Heals to pot and / or interrupted. Always keep a CD for that situation up your sleeve.

    Other than that a log analysis would be needed.

    To stop the flames you should get yourself an addon like Grimreaper or Recount where you can 'replay' the death of a tank and look what really was the issue.

    And you should have a word with your "MT". Tanking is a team sport. If it doesn't work out, the raid is doomed later anyway.

    Cheers!
    skaggi

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts