+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot warrior DPS (Yea I know)

Prot warrior DPS (Yea I know)

So in Naxx 25 I am at around 1430 - 1600 dps, I feel it should be higher.

My Priority listing is S Slam, Revenge, Dev, Con Blow, Showckwave.

I keep Rend up until it falls off and then renew it again.

Should I even be worried about this at all? We just started Naxx 25 tonight, so I might not have a good feel for it.

The World of Warcraft Armory
    Last edited by Sennex; 10-07-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Rend shouldn't really be a part of your prot rotation unless you have nothing better to do - which you always do (devastate). Unless you're gearing/speccing for dps specifically I wouldn't be too upset with that level of dps. So long as you're producing good threat and the real dps can do their job

That being said, a good 1.5-2k dps from the tank is certainly a positive benefit.

Rend isn't worth it for Prot.
    As long as your priority rotation is more or less accurate, the greatest contributor to your DPS would be proper Heroic Strike usage.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Norrath has probably hit the issue on the head there. You should be heroic striking on every swing where you have enough rage, in addition to the rotation. Doing that properly will boost your damage considerably.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

Thats odd, I honestly thought Rend was worth it for the supplemental tick damage going off.

Is there a way to set macro's like if I hold down SHIFT then HS gets added in?

TankingTips.com has a good article on HS usage which might be helpful to you.

At least, 41% of Tanks arent Heroic Striking enough - Warriors - TankingTips.com
    Last edited by Erja; 10-09-2009 at 11:26 AM.

I still throw Rend out every now and again, especially if I'm off-tanking, although it won't really give you much of a threat or dps boost. Where it can be handy, though, is when tanking multiple mobs. Shield Slam one, Rend, go to the next, Devestate, Rend, next, Revenge, Rend, keeping up Cleave and Thunderclap, etc. Not a huge boost, particularly since I have Deep Wounds, but two bleeds plus Damage Shield can help hold aggro on a few mobs (don't do this on large groups, though, you need to be toggling through them faster).

As others have said, though, if you're looking for consistent threat and dps, particularly against single target, keep Heroic Strike up and keep the Devestates and Shield Slams going.

Forget about personal DPS... Help the other DPS

Like if you have good threat - stance dance and use Shattering Throw, then back to defensive stance...

This works real well if timed with any other dps buff.

Throws your weapon at the enemy causing [ 50% of AP + 12 ] damage (based on attack power), reducing the armor on the target by 20% for 10 sec, and removing any invulnerabilities.

Your job as a tank is to allow DPS to do their job, don't try to be their job.

One way I have found that you can easily add Heroic Strikes is to keybind it to Scroll Up on your Mouse. I keybound Cleave to Scroll down as well for trash and as long as I have extra rage I use both liberally.

Both of these have really helped my dps and don't effect my rotation that much.

If your worrying about your dps rather than your tanking then the content is really trivial so set your second spec up to one of the many hybrid specs.

Hell you can probably tank naxx as pretty much arms in tank gear and it would be so cool to see the MT drop into a bladestorm ... anyone tried it ^.^
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

i used glyph of revenge and macro revenge and hs for one button so its easier. Other than that when im 100/100 rage i dump HS spams til im about 25 rage. Other things to help is to do what i just suggested and hit bloodrage and beserker rage and you will just pump out dps/tps in a short period of time. I was the same way, was hardly ever using HS, now i laugh at myself. Rend, honestly? cant say i have ever used rend for tanking. If you want bleed effects use the deep wounds spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Eravian View Post
    I still throw Rend out every now and again, especially if I'm off-tanking, although it won't really give you much of a threat or dps boost. Where it can be handy, though, is when tanking multiple mobs. Shield Slam one, Rend, go to the next, Devestate, Rend, next, Revenge, Rend, keeping up Cleave and Thunderclap, etc. Not a huge boost, particularly since I have Deep Wounds, but two bleeds plus Damage Shield can help hold aggro on a few mobs (don't do this on large groups, though, you need to be toggling through them faster).

As others have said, though, if you're looking for consistent threat and dps, particularly against single target, keep Heroic Strike up and keep the Devestates and Shield Slams going.
    Rend does an extremely low amount of damage, when compared to Devastate. If you're going to use a global cooldown for damage, Devastate, or Concussion Blow, or Shockwave are all going to provide you with more damage than Rend. What's more, you'll get all that damage (and threat) immediately, instead of having to wait for it, as with a DoT.

So it ends up being a question of "do you want 3000 damage now, or 2000 damage over the next 15 seconds?

I like to throw a rend up too now and again, particularly if I'm tanking something with a random charge or where I'm kiting. Its not the highest TPS move you can do for sure, but its a gift that keeps on giving while you're focusing on other things for a moment.

Pretty situational, really. For when Ony takes flight, Razorscale takes flight, Noth blinks away, etc. but it really is a miniscule part of the DPS

+ Reply to Thread