+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fury warrior lack luster dps

Fury warrior lack luster dps

Hi everyone,

I dual-specced prot fury but now my fury set seems to be better than my tanking set. However, I'm really struggling with my dps. I've only focused on dps since the dual spec came out so I'm still learning.

This is me: Vitharr Aman'Thul

Any help is appreciated. I really struggle keeping hit up to the cap.

Best,

Vitharr

If you need specific DPS rotation/general knowledge the Fury guide located at the top of the DPS forum, (although outdated in terms of the specs and gearing) is still 100% sound in terms of knowledge.

for gearing/etc stuff you're better off in the HALP forum.

Moved.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Also, the rotation for Fury isn't terribly complicated but it can get overwhelming if you're not paying attention.

Always prioritize abilities like this
    WW -> BT -> Slam! (bloodsurge proc'd slam) -> X ability
    where X ability is whatever you want to use during your free GCDs, whether it's demo for your tanks, or sunder if you don't have a prot warrior. Also throw in heroic strikes when rage permits (i like >70 rage as a safe point).

As for gear, get to hit softcap asap: 263 hit rating, 8% hit total (as arms i believe you only need to get 5% hit rating from gear + 3/3 Precision = 8% total. Expertise to 26 to remove 6.5% dodge chance from lvl 83 boss mobs. Everything else dump into STR in terms of gemming. STR is your top stat at this point, and any ArP you pick up from gear will be beneficial as well, crit and ArP ~= for fury warriors until high level of ArP, but str str str str str.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    As for gear, get to hit softcap asap: 263 hit rating, 8% hit total (as fury i believe you only need to get 5% hit rating from gear + 3/3 Precision = 8% total.
    think you confused your specs there kz. fury needs ~165 hit (5% from gear) to be capped with 3/3 precision. arms needs 263 hit (8% from gear)
    Last edited by Kazeyonoma; 10-05-2009 at 05:42 PM.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Hey,

Thanks for the move.

I'm ok with rotation. I'm focused on the special attacks and hitting the slams when they proc. I've set it up to alert me to hit the slam so whenever I hear the special sound, I hit it.

I think my issue is more gear. I'm confused with how much hit to get and if I should focus on strength or Armor Pen now that I'm at 400+ armor pen.

Thanks.

Again, hit to 5% from gear 3/3 precision and you're good on gear, you want 26 expertise to get capped, then from there you can do no wrong if you go pure str gemming from there. If you have over 35-40% ArP from gear alone (no gemming yet) then if you have an ArP trinket (grim toll or mjolnir's Runestone) then you can gem for ArP otherwise, keep pumping the str (the 20% modifier from Improved Berserker stance is just godly for str/fury scaling)

I believe with 4pc T8 gear and above BT overtakes WW on the priority listing? Or am I doing it wrong lol *goes to read EJ again*

ww will still hit harder than bt with the 4pc.

you should never really hit slam every time it procs, since it can proc right before ww or bt get off cd (within the gcd that slam will take up) and then you just pushed back your 2 big abilities. ww and bt will hit harder than slam always, and pushing either of them back because they came off cd inside the slam gcd is a dps loss.

and with arp, you want to gem for arp until you hit the soft cap, which is where you will have 100% arp with a trinket proc. if you dont have an arp trinket, gem straight str.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

According to landsouls spreadsheet (and my own experiences) BT will hit harder than WW in ToC and Ulduar gear (Deep wounds also seems to give more DPS than WW). BT is a higher priority imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    According to landsouls spreadsheet (and my own experiences) BT will hit harder than WW in ToC and Ulduar gear (Deep wounds also seems to give more DPS than WW). BT is a higher priority imo.
    BT does more damage over the course of a fight, but WW does more damage per GCD. You use twice as many BT as WW, which makes BT do more damage in the long haul.

Sheet says BT will do 7% more than WW over a fight for me, World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis says it does ~5% more. But WW hits harder per GCD and has the longer cooldown.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

Since I had my sheet open for the above response, I decided to fetch your armory in it and check the SEP values. As expected, strength is your best stat. You have several hit and expertise gems, yet are over the cap for both. Replace them with str gems. You only need 164 hit and 214 expertise, any gems past that are a loss of potential damage.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

Bleh I guess this is what dual spec brings. I'm going to go read all 90 pages of the EJ thread. Thanks for the info.

Thanks all! I will make sure not to hit slam unless the big abilities are on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    Since I had my sheet open for the above response, I decided to fetch your armory in it and check the SEP values. As expected, strength is your best stat. You have several hit and expertise gems, yet are over the cap for both. Replace them with str gems. You only need 164 hit and 214 expertise, any gems past that are a loss of potential damage.
    This is exactly what I was looking for. I thought I had to get to 260 hit because I'm using titan's grip dw. I also thought I had to get to expertise 215.

Your expertise needs to be 26/26 to never miss on special attacks, bosses have a 6.5% chance to dodge/parry an attack, so even if you're under expertise cap and attack from behind, you have a chance to get your attack dodged. If possible replace some of the +20 expertise sockets and go with a +20 strength socket.

I looked at the armoury as well, and you've got zelik's gauntlets, those guys could easily be replaced by the t9 gloves you can get from just badges - which in return would give you a good amount of hit and some crit, but you'd lose the expertise, which would keep you fine since you're so high above the expertise cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishpanzy View Post
    Your expertise needs to be 26/26 to never miss on special attacks, bosses have a 6.5% chance to dodge/parry an attack,
    Bosses have a 6.5% chance to dodge, and a 14% chance to parry. That means that at 26 expertise, you won't get dodged, but if you attack from the front you can still be parried.

Can't find the t9 gloves. Can you give me a link?

Ugh i wouldnt dismiss hit so fast. Yes, i know the soft cap etc. But i've always found that more hit helps a ton with the rage gen. I usually try to aim for 11%-12% hit with talents to smooth out my rage gen. Bribing the raidleader to put a draenei in your group also helps :P

Similar thing with expertise. 26 expertise is the cap (you really should be behind the boss anyway so 26 is actually the one & only cap for you). BUT you usually can get by with a lot less. I've taken my expertise from 27 down to 18 and actually gained in dps because i was getting so much more return from the pure str i replaced it with. I felt most comfortable at around 20 expertise though. So no, you dont need to cap expertise if you can fill it up with something sensible.

It's all a balancing game. Basically you want as much STR as you can get while maintaining a good enough rage inflow. My own yardstick is i should have enough rage to Heroic Strike at least half of my mainhand whiteswings. Talents & proper use of cooldowns can get you surprizingly long way in your rage management, so pay attention to that.

+ Reply to Thread