+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should we even try H ToC 10 yet?

Should we even try H ToC 10 yet?

So my guild downed Anub'Arak 10 normal last night and everyone is charged up about working on the Heroic. I think this is good, because it's sometimes hard to get people charged up about doing hard modes.

My concern is this. I don't know if our tanks are geared enough or our DPS high enough.

Here is my armory:

The World of Warcraft Armory

I am probably the second best geared tank in the guild, after our druid, but we're very close. I'm pretty good at using my cooldowns correctly, and I read strategies religiously, but I'm concerned that we just won't have the survivability and dps to do this.

Our top DPSers will do around 5.5k-6.5k dps, depending on the fight, but there are only around 3 players at that level. Everyone else is 3.5k-4.5k, depending on the fight.

From those familiar with the fight, is this worth attempting, or do we need to do more gearing up first?

If this is your first full clear, I'd wager that you need more runs to get everyone upgraded. If people are just dying to see what it is like, there is no harm in going in and taking a stab at it. It will either show that you are ready, or that your group needs to gear up more.

The harm I see is that if we go in there and are horribly overmatched, then the "I don't like wiping a million times" type people will stop showing up when we do decide we're geared enough to try it in the future. I'd like to think my guildies wouldn't do that, but realistically, I think it does happen.

It really does depend on the temperament of the people in your raid -- which you know better than anyone here would. If you think they can handle (potentially) having it made plain they aren't ready yet, then go for it; a couple of attempts should be more than enough to get a sense of whether or not you are ready. As long as you aren't going in there bashing your head against a wall every week, I honestly don't think people will bail on you; but again, you know these folks better than I.

The DPS figures you posted should be sufficient if everyone does their job correctly and takes steps to avoid fires, quickly deal with Snobolds, avoids the big Yeti thing charging at their face etc. While Heroic Northrend Beasts does represent something of a gear check, it's definitely a lot more about co-ordination. Bear in mind that your caster DPS will struggle with Gordok due to the Snobold interrupts and you may find their DPS looks a lot lower than it should be. Don't be surprised if you end up keeping Gordok and the Worms for a few seconds (healers need to be on the ball here).

However, if your raid is able to co-ordinate well and keep on top of things, there's no reason why you couldn't down it with your level of gear. Nobody can slack for even a second though as it's a huge step up from facerolling the place on normal.

Maybe give it a cap - say you're going to have five or ten wipes total and then you'll go off to Ulduar or Onyxia or something. Hopefully that won't get the "wah, my rapairz" folk being all grumpy but will give the enthusiastic folk an opportunity to see it and begin to learn the fight.

+ Reply to Thread