+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: WoW Latency, DCing & Performance Information

Regarding Leatrix Latency Fix..

I have run into the problem described in the Misc questions section on the wowinterface download page:

I am seeing lower latency values after installing Leatrix Latency Fix, however, I'm now experiencing lag spikes, especially during periods of frantic activity in dungeons. Why is that?
    The increased frequency of acknowledgements may have caused your routers buffer to fill up (essentially creating a traffic jam). Very few people have reported this problem, but it's more likely to occur when you have more than one computer on your network, you are running software which produces lots of network activity or you're connected to a wireless network. If possible, try using a different router with only your computer connected directly to it and don't run network intensive background applications while playing (such as P2P or voice comms).
    I live in Australia, and as such, I already have significantly high latency (450-700ms on average). Using this script does indeed lower my latency, to the 200-350ms range, which is great. The problem is, my wife also plays WoW. We raid a lot (5-6 days a week), use ventrilo, etc. When just one of us is online, there is no problem, but if both of us are online, after a short time, the game turns into a slideshow because our router's buffer is filling up.

Does anyone know of a way around this problem? Can it be fixed by purchasing a better router?

Cheers

Well I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that you can't play WoW very well on a 6 year old computer with a crappy graphics card without lag and disconnecting. Don't play wireless either, wire directly to your network if you are on one, if you can't do that then get a Powerline kit by Linksys or whoever you choose to use for networking, faster then wireless and costs about the same as getting a good wireless network adapter.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post
    Regarding Leatrix Latency Fix..

I have run into the problem described in the Misc questions section on the wowinterface download page:

I live in Australia, and as such, I already have significantly high latency (450-700ms on average). Using this script does indeed lower my latency, to the 200-350ms range, which is great. The problem is, my wife also plays WoW. We raid a lot (5-6 days a week), use ventrilo, etc. When just one of us is online, there is no problem, but if both of us are online, after a short time, the game turns into a slideshow because our router's buffer is filling up.

Does anyone know of a way around this problem? Can it be fixed by purchasing a better router?

Cheers

My DK tank in my guild Plays From NZ with a similar situation i will ask him what his router setup and fixes applied are and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Well I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that you can't play WoW very well on a 6 year old computer with a crappy graphics card without lag and disconnecting. Don't play wireless either, wire directly to your network if you are on one, if you can't do that then get a Powerline kit by Linksys or whoever you choose to use for networking, faster then wireless and costs about the same as getting a good wireless network adapter.
    I'm sorry, but what is this in reference to?

I assure you, none of that applies to me, nor to my question (if I am indeed who you were replying to). I build my own rigs, and currently run with an i7 930 OC'd to 4ghz, 6GB DDR3 RAM, and my GPU is an Asus 5870 (plan to get a 2nd soon for crossfire), pushing my 30" DELL 3008WFP. Unfortunately none of that has anything to do with latency. My router is relatively new, and cost me $200. Nor do I run on wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinytankz View Post
    My DK tank in my guild Plays From NZ with a similar situation i will ask him what his router setup and fixes applied are and get back to you.
    Cheers Tinytankz. Hopefully he doesn't just use something like Lowerping.

I was refering to players in general. I stopped disconnecting and lagging out when I went to a direct wired connection plus got a superior computer. Graphics will lag you out, your network connection will lag you out if you run wireless, there tends to be far more packet dropping as opposed to wired where there is nothing to get in the way of the connection. My brother gets disconnected playing wireless on his laptop, I used to lag out due to horrible graphics processing by a Radeon 9200, I would say those are two of the biggest causes of disconnecting from the server. Either that or your internetz provider might suck, two people raiding while sharing a 10Mb connection seems to work just fine for me.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

Fair enough.

For future reference though, the problem with multiple people on the same connection, in regards to this thread, is due to modifying the TCPAckFrequency in your registry to increase the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server. This in turn can lead to your buffer becoming filled past it's limit which results in a slide-show like effect in game when you have more than one person on the same connection, playing the game, using ventrilo, etc.

Irons is 100% correct My DK says update your routers firmware and look through the settings on it to see if you can adjust buffer size (if you can pump it up)

Wow, I had no idea that you could actually increase your routers buffer (I've never been very good with networking stuff). I'll poke around in there tonight to see if it's possible.

Thanks Tinytankz

like the OP i have started getting randomly high latency out of the blue, i have completed step3
    I tried to complete step 2, but vista is different from xp and im not exactly the biggest genius when it come to computers. i was wondering if any1 could give directions how to complete step 2 on vista.
    Step 1 i did while logged onto my server (Bladefist-EU if it helps any1) and there was none with the port 3724. Could any1 help me out with this?

This is great, had 280+ latency capping at 500 before the script had been installed, afterwords, down to 89 and cap at 104 so far using the leatrix latency fix, thanks for the guide, it really helped me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Davih View Post
    like the OP i have started getting randomly high latency out of the blue, i have completed step3
    I tried to complete step 2, but vista is different from xp and im not exactly the biggest genius when it come to computers. i was wondering if any1 could give directions how to complete step 2 on vista.
    Step 1 i did while logged onto my server (Bladefist-EU if it helps any1) and there was none with the port 3724. Could any1 help me out with this?
    There should be a server with port 3724, relog into your server and type netstat -n again and look through the established connections, it should be there as 3724 is the port that WoW servers go through.

[[Edit for double post merge]]
    Last edited by Perphecshun; 08-07-2010 at 06:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread