+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blood Tanking Help

Blood Tanking Help

I've been having problems lately tanking multiple targets. This is no longer the time of BC where people let mobs get to tanks before DPSing them and it goes double when it comes to AoE. DPS have this thing about being best on fucking recount it drives me crazy. On single target Tanking I am doing fine on the TPS. I rarely have to taunt anything back to me cause I stay on top even with better geared DPS. But my main Problem is AoE tanking. I just started seeing how terriable I am at it with the Onyixa whelps on phase 2.

My question is...what is the best rotation for blood AoE tanking...I might be doing it wrong and want to see some helpful advice. What I am using is DnD, IT, PS,Pest, Rune tap, Bloodboil. But almost every single DPS will not wait and as soon as my DnD is down they start AoE...is there a faster way to grab aggro? Should I grab DnD glyph cause for the most part I usally am the one MTing stuff cause I personaly like blood for single target tanking. It fits my play style. So I really dont wanna go to frost for AoE tanking. Someone please help me with how you do multi targets and your rotation and stuff....feel free to check my spec and shitty gear...this is an alt but I am deffinatly taking it seriously. so please help =)

The World of Warcraft Armory

I ran into this problem with a few PUGs myself. This is the post that Fathom made toward my thread with the same issues. The glyph of DnD really shouldn't be necessary. My rotation differs from yours in one aspect - after the DnD, IT, and PS, I go for Bloodboil first over pestilence. Personal experience leads better results with that.

Overall, just remember that despite the groups and DPS YOU set the pace. If you have to drill that into the DPS's head by letting them take aggro and suffer the consequences, do it.

Sort of unrelated if it's working for you, but why no points in Improved Icy Touch?

First off, language, please. Respect the rules of the forum. This also belongs in a different forum, here: HALP! I need advice - TankSpot

As for your questions, I am a Blood tank, no glyph of DnD, and I have no problems with AoE tanking in raids. Whelps can be a pain in the butt if they scatter before they get to you, but once you're on them, it's just a matter of how.

We do ramp up a bit slowly though, so DPS do need to be careful, but that's the case with any tank (less so with some than others). What you're describing sounds fairly smart, if you're loosing them in your first 6 CDs that's just a matter of relative gear/threat to your dps. They blow up, you're not putting out big enough numbers to hold it, and I'd imagine there's nothing to fix that but practice, gear, and a request to the dps to be mindful of when they start nuking.

From your armory, your spec looks fine, and your gear looks fine, albeit a bit light for Ony/ToC content. Neither is a super test if you're not doing heroic stuff, but if your dps is geared in the 232-245+ range, you're going to have to work to keep mobs' attention.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

I've never tanked as blood before but I've read a lot about blood tanks from this forum (Satorri's Big Build Shop: Blood Tanking) and after having a quick look at your talent build I have to say that you're missing out on 3 vital talents needed for successful blood tanking:

1. Rune Tap + Imp Rune Tap: Don't underestimate the power of Rune Tap. It has the potential to be a life saver especially when glyphed.

2. Spell Deflection: Taking 15% less dmg from magic is always a plus for tanks.

3. Mark of Blood: This is a MUST-HAVE for any blood tank. Being healed for 4% of your total health every time a boss does damage to you is...well, do I actually need to explain how incredible this talent is?

Here's a talent build I'd use if I was blood tanking:
    Talent Calculator

One last thing...I'd look into getting your hit rating to 8% and your expertise to 26 (soft cap - prevents mobs from dodging your attacks).

EDIT: Seems Satorri has arrived :P

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Rush View Post
    1. Rune Tap + Imp Rune Tap: Don't underestimate the power of Rune Tap. It has the potential to be a life saver especially when glyphed.
    Rune tap is cool, I like it, but it wont help him on AOE threat (the heal agro being divised by the number of target, it's really small in AOE)

2. Spell Deflection: Taking 15% less dmg from magic is always a plus for tanks.
    Spell Deflection is not 15% less magic damage, it's a chance equal to your parry chance to be a 45% reduction (with 20% parry it mean an average of 9% spell dmg reduction). A permanent 15% spell dmg reduction would be ubber; hell even 9%. The problem is that it's not reliable. Not worth it imo, but it's a personnal choice (but it certainly not make his spec not viable).
    Plus it wont help him with AOE threat

3. Mark of Blood: This is a MUST-HAVE for any blood tank. Being healed for 4% of your total health every time a boss does damage to you is...well, do I actually need to explain how incredible this talent is?
    Yes please cause I still dont see it.
    Joke aside, Mark of blood is, like Spell deflection, very situational.
    It's great against some fast small hits. But meh when the boss hit you for 20k every 3sec. On a 20sec duration it will trigger 6 time at best (i.e. if you dont avoid anything), probably more 3 time (with 50% avoidance); if you got 45k health that's a total of 5400 heal (1800 each time), pretty low.
    Plus it wont save you cause it's applied after the hit.
    It can have it use but it's certainly not a must have.

Oh yeah and I forget: it wont help him with his AOE problem

For the OP: your spec and rotation seem fine I almost had the same (just had improved rune tap instead of scent of blood, both doesnt matter for AOE). So it's either your stuff or your DPSers ^^ One thing that you could do is bring a few glyph of DnD and Death strike, and switch for DnD when you are on AOE duties; other than that tell your DPS to wait a bit.
    I just saw your second spec, Frost pvp; you could switch to it for AOE if you dont take too much damage; it will certainly be better for threat anyway.

Niniel
    Last edited by Feanorr; 10-03-2009 at 06:43 PM.

For Onyxia I find that ERW is my best friend. Our AoE threat is weak at best and DPS will often start to open up on AoE before all the mobs have even managed to traverse into your DnD.

What I do is get all the healers to stack in the centre as they will inevitably get inital aggro to heal threat (Holy pallies with RF up are handy here). Once the 1st whelp is in range ill Drop DnD and start winding up my rotation with IT -> PS. Now I wait a little bit for the last whelps to get in pestilence range just to make sure all whelps get IT/PS then BB, BT and BB again. Its at this point I tell my DPS to open up, I use ERW then I DS (To get some death runes up) and BB again. Saving one B/U/F rune as DnD is almost off CD at this point, drop DnD again and then my other B and the U/F runes that are now death come off CD for BBx3. GG whelps!

Now I havnt (even in a pug) had the problem of a 2nd set of whelps spawning in p2 but use a similar strat if your dps is lowish just be mindful that you do not have ERW but the dps should be a little more distracted with the elite/ony and you should have no trouble picking them all up!

Hope that helped!

+ Reply to Thread