+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HALP! Prot Pally T8->T9 Concerns

HALP! Prot Pally T8->T9 Concerns

Hey guys, I hope you can help me out! Lately I've started swapping out some of my T8.5 pieces for the i245 T9 gear and noticed that a few pieces of it are itemized more for threat and defense rating than avoidance. It may just be because I was spoiled by the avoidance on the Conqueror's Aegis Legguards VS Turalyon's Legguards of Triumph, but I'm worried about swapping out for all T9, or at minimum, enough for the 4 piece set bonus and losing a ton of avoidance. I am hoping that soon I'll obtain Burnished Quel'Serrar and that its proc will help make up for some of the lost avoidance. What are some of your thoughts on this? Am I just too worried about losing avoidance? My guild isn't doing a lot of hard modes or heroics so its kinda hard for me to get the top of the line gear, so unfortunately some of the items in those may be unattainable for me. Take a look at the armory link in my sig and any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <script src="http://static.wowhead.com/widgets/power.js"></script>

Relax. You're too worried.

The T9 pants are the only piece of the set that significantly eschews avoidance... it just sounds like they're the ones you looked at, and the T8 pants happened to be the most avoidy. If you want to feel better, compare the 8.5 shoulders to the 9.25 shoulders.

Avoidance levels are so high right now that bosses have had to be tuned to hit stupidly hard. Health and effective health are still king, especially with the great scaling multipliers paladins are getting.

Most of the TOC gear is heavily itemized towards avoidance, and if you haven't seen the math on how expertise has avoidance value as well, you should look it up. It's fascinating (and will make you feel a little better about all the hit you're going to lose...)

Yeah... I guess i was just panicking because of the pants. When I compared the overall stats that the complete sets give me, the overall avoidance on the T9.25 is actually higher than the T8.5. If I would have done that in the first place I woulda never had to bug you guys lol. Thanks everyone for looking and thanks Zothor for replying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <script src="http://static.wowhead.com/widgets/power.js"></script>

I wasn't a huge fan of the 9.25 legs either and instead went for Legguards of Feverish Dedication from 25-man Lord Jaraxxus. While they're still not as avoidance-soaked as the Conqueror's Aegis, I still prefer the itemisation on them to the Turalyon's Legguards.

Of course, the huge amount of Defense Rating on Turalyon's does soften the avoidance blow somewhat - the additional 31 points of Defense Rating equate to an extra 1.24% Miss, Dodge, Parry and Block (before Diminishing Returns, of course, in reality it'd be far lower). It's not enough to make up for what you lose in the Conqueror's Aegis Legguards but it's not as harsh a decline as it may seem just by looking at the raw stat differentials.

Do not underestimate the avoidance that 90 defense gives you on the T9 pants..

Quote Originally Posted by Faids View Post
    Do not underestimate the avoidance that 90 defense gives you on the T9 pants..
    No one is ignoring it. But the feverish dedication pants have that 90 defense, plus parry and expertise for significantly more raw avoidance. The tier pants are threat pants, or feasibly valuable for the set bonus.

We're not ignoring the defense, we're comparing the difference between the two items.

+ Reply to Thread