Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    And so it begins...
    lol Cider you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by theholyfx View Post
    In both the thread

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/5...ockwave-2.html

and

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/4...otation-7.html

Devestate for a new warrior would out threat a SW/CB rotation, and at higher gear levels would drop revenge out for devestate.
    No. Just no. Don't say this.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by Xav View Post
    No. Just no. Don't say this.
    This. Actually read the thread.

And Xav, it was a combination of the mic, and the fact that my normal voice sounds dry, unenthusiastic, and bored. Not to mention, my mic wasn't picking it up well.. the higher the tone, the better the mic picked it up. If I ever do another video, I'll just buy another damn mic. =/

To those requesting a UI compilation, I'll try to put one together soon. Didn't think anyone would have interest in it.

To the other comments in this thread- this was meant to be a basic guide for beginner tanks. It's obviously very hard to give an actual rotation for any scenario as a warrior, since we're flexible and there's never any actual rotation... I tried stressing that, but I suppose the point didn't get across. There's a lot to prot warriors, and I only had time to touch the very basics of mechanics.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback.

Awesome video Thanks!

After the feral Druid guide, i thought hey how come on Tankspot of all places is there not a Warrior video guide, in more depth of course than Cider's Strat video (which i loved)?

My question was answered. I have been casually tanking for a while and soaking up most of what the wow community has had to offer, but this wraps it all up in a nice, concise, easy to understand guide. From all the noobs and weekend tanks, Thanks a lot. As always, thanks Tankspot!

The 'Veteran' tanks can critique this all they want, but the video is great, Thanks. Only positives SHOULD come from a guide such as this.

Scott

Would it be possible to also link the tanking reference/awareness videos to this also? This video along side the reference/awareness videos should make a tasty tanking video sandwhich. Great tasting and good for you = )

Sorry, my super awesome rotation I use for every fight is not a priority chain...
    Left Cheek -> Forehead -> Right Cheek -> Chin -> Nose -> Forehead -> Repeat

Awesome job. =)

Never. EVER. Pay for a guide. NEVER. Everything those guides tell you, you can learn for free.

UI

Love your UI where you get it?

Great guide, will refer any new warrior tanks in the guild to this!

Fantastic video, very clear description of the fundamentals and nicely shot/edited too. Just the thing for those starting out. And I think you got the point across about priority over fixed rotations just fine

Bravo Criss, an excellent guide for new warriors. And a very functional UI to match.

I have a few thoughts on the opening rotation you mentioned. I don't think there is any boss in the game that would require you to apply demo and TC straight away, I feel I would loose to much threat at such a crucial time to be applying these as the 2nd and 3rd ability in your rotation. Also, I would encourage you to talk to your DPS warriors, as applying 5x sunder straight away yourself would also take up crucial gcd's. They can easily help apply them, as there 3rd and 4th gcd shouldn't be used on anything important in most fights.

What would be your opinion on changing your rotation to (sb) SS> Rev> Dev> TC> SS> Rev> Dev> Demo. Obviously, u reset if u get a S&B proc.

At least for me, in my guild Adept, raiding with really good dpser's requires a bit more early output that usual.

Would you agree?

It looks complicated, but to new tanks, it just comes naturally after a few hcs even. I think this is a very good guide, points out stuff like never turning you back on a boss, which to more experienced tanks, they kinda never show their back without even realising it, but loads of tanks don't realise that. I don't like DPSing hcs, because I sometimes don't trust the tank, so I normally tank :P.

Just a couple things I would like to add. For mob tanking, or for many adds, using glyphs of cleave and sunder armour are very strong, as sunder armour does quite a bit of threat alone, and if it can hit 2 targets, its good to use as an AoE rotation. For those people rage starved, they can get loads of talents that reduce rage costs in the prot talent tree.

By the way, does Concussion blow really do more threat that shockwave?
    Arms DPS main spec // Prot warrior tank off-spec

Nope, they both have the exact same scaling. However shockwave cant be dodged or parried.

grats criss and nice job.. and yes i was confused too.. "that doesn't sound like criss?!"

<3 nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahuuga View Post
    Bravo Criss, an excellent guide for new warriors. And a very functional UI to match.

I have a few thoughts on the opening rotation you mentioned. I don't think there is any boss in the game that would require you to apply demo and TC straight away, I feel I would loose to much threat at such a crucial time to be applying these as the 2nd and 3rd ability in your rotation. Also, I would encourage you to talk to your DPS warriors, as applying 5x sunder straight away yourself would also take up crucial gcd's. They can easily help apply them, as there 3rd and 4th gcd shouldn't be used on anything important in most fights.

What would be your opinion on changing your rotation to (sb) SS> Rev> Dev> TC> SS> Rev> Dev> Demo. Obviously, u reset if u get a S&B proc.

At least for me, in my guild Adept, raiding with really good dpser's requires a bit more early output that usual.

Would you agree?
    There are plenty of bosses that hit hard enough that TC/Demo are necessary almost immediately. Algalon, Anubarak, and Icehowl are just a few, and I'm certain there will be bosses in Icecrown that will hit like a truck. Starting off a fight is always an interesting scenario. I'm in the shield block - shield slam - tc - demo(if there are no paladins with Vindication) group, mainly because I almost always get a misdirect or tricks to start off a fight. Especially if I'm the only tank or the first tank on a mob.

Being a good tank is being able to produce good threat, I know, but the other half to it is being able to use everything in your arsenal to survive. If your guild has intelligent DPS they should be managing their own threat and watching Omen, not just blindly mashing DPS buttons then getting angry at the tank when they pull aggro and die.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahuuga View Post

Would you agree?
    It honestly depends on a few factors, which, again, I hopefully emphasized in the video when I said when have no straightforward rotation. When you're doing actual hard content, putting up such debuffs are all but mandatory, and if you get threat buffs such as an opening misdirection, it makes it possible. If survivability isn't a concern, then it's not really as much as a priority. But there are many difficult, hard-hitting boss encounters where high threat is as much as a concern as survivability, and it requires patience on the DPS's part.

Secondly, if getting sunder up is a high priority, you can use the glyph. It's a little unfair to ask dps warriors to do it when you're perfectly capable of doing it, because it lowers their damage. Yeah, they may have a GCD available, but by then, sunder could've already been applied by you (especially if you use the glpyh).

Bah, no edit. I didn't see your response, Cast. Also, hey you! /wave

Good stuff!

My warrior is 76 and I've been learning these tips on my own as I tank instances. So far, leveling DPSers haven't been able to peel mobs out of my TC/SW/glyphed-Cleave spam (even when I forget to Vigilance somebody)... this will surely change when I start heroics though, so I'll definitely start practicing the tab-targeting!

I've tried tanking on my Pally and it's pretty dull (not to mention there's about 99999999999 pally tanks on my server). Now Warrior tanking on the other hand is so much fun! Charge+Warbringer has got to be the best thing ever. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ariedan View Post
    To those requesting a UI compilation, I'll try to put one together soon. Didn't think anyone would have interest in it.
    Okay, just wanted to say I think your UI setup is absolutely gorgeous.. The organization of it, along with how it has a very clean look makes me somewhat... Okay, not somewhat, but very jealous! I've spent tons of time moving my UI around, trying to keep it clean and organized, and it seems I never could find a good enough setup. I then found myself watching your vid on Prot Wars and pretty much feel in love with it. I also noticed you had some addons that would be very handy to have! But I still can't get over the setup, haha. So yea, well done!

--side note--
    From time to time I'm on tankspot lurking around, but never made an account until I saw your post. Felt that it was more than enough reason to make on, and throw you a compliment! xD
    It's not until we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

+ Reply to Thread