+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Under-performing Fury

Help with Under-performing Fury

I am main-spec Prot but want to output as much DPS as physically possible when using my off-spec DPS set.

Generally I have been Arms however I was under the impression that with 2x ilvl 232 weapons scaling would allow Fury to put out higher DPS. Here is my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory

I seem to be doing about 4-5k dps (spiking up to 6k) when previously with Arms I was doing 5-6+ (spiking up to 7k or higher). I am basically following the rotation recommendations of the Fury guide from this site: ww -> bt -> slam on proc -> bt -> ww with heroic strike on single targets or cleave on groups whenever rage allows.

Am I missing something that should be improved as far as stats for fury? I used Grim Toll instead of Banner of Victory when in my Arms set, should I do the same for fury?

I want to give it a week to practice the rotation and see if I improve but so far my DPS just isn't cutting it compared with my old Arms spec. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I would use landsoul's spreadsheet but I don't have Office 2007 and he hasn't released a 2003 version yet for 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelnut View Post
    I would use landsoul's spreadsheet but I don't have Office 2007 and he hasn't released a 2003 version yet for 3.2

A little off-topic but useful info. You can get a plugin for each office 2003 application (Word, excel, etc.) that opens the new Office 2007 formats. The new formats are conceptually simple, instead of proprietary formats they are zip files with all the data stored in folders, much like web pages are layed out.

I tried to use the plugin to open the 2007 file in my 2003 and it failed for some reason

EDIT: I was able to open it but with various errors and many of the calculations don't work including the DPS Metric so it is basically useless
    Last edited by Squirrelnut; 09-28-2009 at 09:48 AM.

I have been fury for a long time till I gave upto arms due to better raids buffs it brought in for my raid comp (we almost always have a feral druid).

Anyways is a generally known and accepted fact that fury outscales arms at 232 dps weapons lvl/gear level. Other thing which can effect fury is rage generation and rage management. Which means if there is a fight with lot of AOE dmg your incoming rage generation would be high and you will do more dps, also you should make sure that you dont HS more than needed because you should never run out of rage to do WW/BT.

Other thing that comes to mind for you is use of Death-wish and Recklesness. Pop them early in fight so that you have a chance to use it again at the end of a fight. If its fight with early bloodlust, use both DW/REck with a speed potion during blood lust and you should see some amazing DPS (Orc racial as well). Use berserker rage freely to gain more rage.

The dps difference you mentioned here is pretty big (considering same gear level) means to see a 1k to 2k dps difference between spec changes is definitely an indicator something is not right somewhere (I am sure you know that too). The WW/BT timing is crucial and I recommend hours of dummy practice (not for dps but for timing) to get it right.

Can you tell me what fights are you talking about where you are seeing such a huge difference? Just curious.

Also AFAIK grim toll would be a better trinket to use than Banner. Also you can download MS office 2007 trial and check out the spread sheet.

Hope all this helps.

Thanks for the info, I thought I should avoid Grim Toll because it had me up around 305 hit and I will soon be buying the T9.5 helm which will add another large chunk of hit on top of it.

I have only been Fury a couple days and hadn't been using Recklessness / Death-wish, that should help a lot. I suppose I should go sit at the dummy for a while until the rotation becomes second nature before giving up and switching back to Arms & polearm

Seems like a waste to go Arms/polearm when I could go Fury with Sword/Axe both ilvl232 with potentially better scaling DPS

Any primarily physical dmg, Dual-wielding spec (fury warriors, combat rogues, and now frost DK's) has had this issue becauseof the way wow mechanics work. The DW'ing specs will under-perform at lower gear level but they scale so immensely with higher gear levels that they will eventually out scale their counter part specs. Thats why developers have to keep buffing other specs every tier release.

Dont worry keep practicing fury and once you get a hang of it its will give you great output.

+ Reply to Thread