+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking Onyxias Lair (10/25) - Whats REALLY needed

Tanking Onyxias Lair (10/25) - Whats REALLY needed

Ok, who has some actually USEFUL information on what is needed to tank onyxias lair 10 and 25 man?
    Im fed up with pugs who seem to think the be all end all of a tank is their HP and ignoring other stats. Is onyxia really harder than ulduar 25 hard modes and coliseum or is people just getting lazy?

I was able to tank 10m relitivly easy in 25M naxx gear, with the conquest emblem gear. Had 2 druid heals in uld10/conquest gear. Not sure about 25M though. one shotted, fight's just all pretty much mechanics and last phase is burn phase. simple.

My (rough) stats:

34.6k unbuffed
    25k armor
    ~50% avoidance
    Also had reduced CD's from glyph/imp SW/LS

Buffs included MotW, kings/commanding, and Fort

Dps was pretty average, nothing special, everyone was 3-5k

Offtank was similarly geared than me, had about 1k less hp due to not having a brewfest trinket using EoG.
    Last edited by Deathsupply; 09-26-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Speaking of "avoidance" is that your added dodge, parry and block? I tend to look at them as separate stats if so (however of course wanting them all to be as high as possible)

Onyxia is no where close to as difficult as ulduar hardmodes or even easy modes. Even blizz admitted it's supposed to be easy since it was just put in as novelty fight and they want as many ppl to experience the encounter as possible.

Koralon hits harder than Ony.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragaan View Post
    Onyxia is no where close to as difficult as ulduar hardmodes or even easy modes. Even blizz admitted it's supposed to be easy since it was just put in as novelty fight and they want as many ppl to experience the encounter as possible.

Koralon hits harder than Ony.
    So short story is that people are just running around on an emblem high not having a clue, just as I thought..

not really difficult but there is a potential for tank death, between cleave and the normal breath you can take a good amount of damage, and if your healers aren't in position there is a pretty good chance of a pull going bad (they cant be right on you because a cleave would tear them in half). but yea, not too hard from a tanking stand point, odds are just lazy dps not wanting to stay on the sides and getting tail swiped/cleaved. id say for 10man 30k unbuffed is fine health wise if you have good healers.

Ok, just a quick update as I went to onyxias lair tonight and maintanked her..

Unbuffed stats:
    32,3k HP
    24,7k Armor
    541 Defense
    24,8% Dodge
    19,2% Parry
    19,7% Block

Onyxia herself was not a major issue for me as long as we got the pull off properly (healers lagging behind on the first pull was BAD), but her elite lair guardians was, or more specifically their Ignite Weapon as they use that more often than my cleave CD. Get the adds right and you can probably tank 25 man as well with ~30k hp unbuffed..

+ Reply to Thread