+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good tanking frost spec

Good tanking frost spec

Hello im looking for a good frost tanking spec & rotation/glyphs

here's what i came up with:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

and another question IS frost the 'best' tanking spec for HToGC 25?

right now im blood spec'd:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

any input would be great! thanks

Personally, I'd trade Virulence for Epidemic in the unholy tree. That would give you the extra time to burn through another rotation without worrying about your viruses wearing off. thats just me though.

Although, I wonder if Improved Frost Presence is worth it.....I've put 2 points in it, but now I'm starting to wonder. If you decide against it, I reccomend Two-Handed Weapon Specialization. The 4% damage is worth the TPS, imo

I would use this type of build The World of Warcraft Armory And use the hb glyph. I personally am a fan of hb and love the aoe potential it has. But if not than move the 2 points from 2h weapon spec to epidemic. The major glyphs for hb would be. Howling blast, Obliterate, and the 3rd one could be multiple ones. If you have trouble staying alive than use the ub glyph, if you have trouble with rp for rune strikes than use the it glyph, and if you have to much rp than use the fs glyph and add a few fs to your rotation.
    For a non-hb build i would use obliterate, rune strike, and the same procedure for the 3rd as above.

For your rotation:
    glyphed howling blast:
    Single: would be starting off with a hb, then ob, then bsx2. Then use hb on every rime proc and if you see your diseases falling off put a hb in place of oblit. Also use your death runes on oblit.
    Multi: HB,BB,BB,OB,DnD then hb and bb everytime they are off cd.

TBH there isnt a perfect spec for anything. The best spec for you is what you are most comfotable with. If you like frost than frost is the best spec for you, if not than go blood. But you can tank end-game content in what ever spec you want. (oh the beauty of dks)

as a frost tank you wont need to worry much about tps cause killing machine and rime procs will do the job, for TOGC25 i belive frigid is a must cause there is a lot of unavoidable damage and its better if you avoid their melee hits. Imp Frost presence is a good choice any +damage reduction its really needed for those instances. I would go something like this: Frost
    which is based on your build, and just trading some of the talents i belive that are not very important

personally for ToGC i prefer blood because of the 15% dmg reduction you get if you are taken down below 35% or at 35%, but im going to try dw and frost and maybe give you some feedback ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraak View Post
    The best spec for you is what you are most comfotable with.
    And yields the best results. "I love this spec, but I wipe 30x on Anubrekhan" doesn't work lol
    ...Thoughts of a philosophical Death Knight...
    If death is the inevitable end of life, is life the inevitable end of undeath?

This is the current spec I'm running with: Armory...

One thing to note would be that I have yet to see Anub... or TotC10 for the matter as my guild relies on my priest for progression... so until it's on farm or PUGs, my DK or DPS will not see TotC10/25...

My usual rotation would be DnD, HB, BB, OB (in groups) or IT, PS, BS, BS, OB (for single targets)... weave in RS whenever it procs and FS when I have more than 60RP... for times where I know that there's a chance of getting stunned or CCed, my rotation changes to DnD, IT, PS, BS as my opening moves...

I doubt you will have threat issues with the new changes to ToT which now affects offhand for RS unless you have crazy badazz DPS but even before the changes, I've been holding aggro against DPS that puts out 4.5k on 5-mans... only time I lose aggro is when the boss performs an aggro wipe... and DPS doesn't give me any change to re-establish aggro... or to a DK I know who DPSs with RS macroed to all his strikes...

but yea... go with a spec that suits your playstyle... that would matter more as you're comfortable with what you're doing...

Make sure to search this Halp forum, same question answered many times, still relevant. In a nutshell: 15/51/5.

You don't need extra range, don't need 130 max runic power (should be spamming Frost Strike whenever its up, should never even get up to 100RP), don't need Acclimation (except on perhaps Sapphiron in Naxx), don't need Virulence (HB, BB, etc. will hit just plenty without it), don't need Epidemic (Glyph of HB puts up Frost Fever every 8s. Untalented disease duration = 15s. No need for longer diseases), and don't need Morbidity (Frost has plenty aoe, don't need reduced dnd cd, and Frost Strike is the runic power dump, not Death Coil).

You do need Frigid Dreadplate, Bladed Armor (+ ~700AP which buffs strikes, autostrikes, spells, and diseases), 2H Weapon Spec. I personally prefer 3/3 Scent of Blood for RP generation, but some Frost tanks don't take it. You can put those 3 pts in Acclimation, Morbidity, or wherever else you prefer if you don't feel runic power starved.
    Last edited by Kurtosis; 09-30-2009 at 04:17 AM.

My Frost spec is pretty vanilla, expect that I like Morbitiy and I use Chill of Grave for rp, not Scent of Blood (but I'm still evalutating) I've always used DnD a lot (from when DK's tanks were told we can't hold aggro) and think it's a great threat tool, I also Glyph of it. Although lately, once the fight has begun, I find myself using Pestilence to spread disease to any late arriving mobs (read welps, I hate welps) then Blood Boil - this seems to grab their attention.

Except for the difference of opinion on Morbitiy (and I can't say having it is right or wrong) I agree with Kurtosis.

hmm guys can you please help me with somthing..i was wondering is this an imba tanking spec..Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
    i mean like you wil do alot of damage and pluss your like hardcore survival tank, am i right?
    or is it somthing stupid with this spec please help me!

i'm not too much of a blood tank but here are some of my opinions on it...

you might want to spec into Improved Icy Touch, the reduction in mob attack speed does mean that you're hit less often as well... also, I've heard that Bloodworms aren't too useful as they die easy to AoE, can aggro mobs that you didn't intend to and their hp returns are a little low...

if you're looking at alot of damage then i think Subversion which increases the crit for your main attack (HS) would help you out better as well as Bloody Vengence which increases your dmg after you've crit...

+ Reply to Thread