+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Geming my DK tank NEED help

Geming my DK tank NEED help

The World of Warcraft Armory
    WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings

OK I need help with what gems (or enchants if i don't have them) to stack on my armor. I know someone is going to post "well it all depends" well I'm looking for a specific answer i want to know what should a DK tank look for after def cap and what cap i should be getting next. Every tank I seen stacks stam and that's it... i don't believe just stacking stam is what a tank is suppose to do (if you can't tell I'm new to tanking) so if you would please help.

Overall information i would like to get is:
    • Stat caps i need to get
    • What gems to "stack" or best gems for DK tanks
    • If you can look at my stats and tell me what stats need improving
    • And any helpful DK tanking tips

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Flacidhero

Stacking stamina once you hit defense cap is pretty much all there is to it.

If you just stack stam all you can do is take allot of hits it don't really help you avoid damage. wouldn't being able to avoid damage be more important than having just stam. I know the point of a tank is to just take as much damage as he can during a fight and being able to have a health pool to can with stand a large blow is good but wouldn't it also be better to be able to avoid some or most of that damage? I'm new to dk tanking so all this information is helpful and I'm reading everything i can on the site but i cant seem to find the answer im asking for above.
    Last edited by Flacidhero; 09-24-2009 at 11:04 PM.

+def in yellow till you reach def cap (though try to avoid this, better to do it with enchants then +def gems)
    +hit/sta in yellow if you def capped till you reach hit cap
    +def/sta in yellow if you hit capped and want socket bonus
    +sta in yellow if hit capped and socket bonus is bad or if you just need more EH

+exp/sta in red till you reach hard cap (nevah xD)
    +sta in red if hard capped or you just need more EH

+sta in blue

that's how i gem, i could get away with all +sta, but i finding missing as dk to be much more annoying then on any other tank since it trows off your rotation and so i try to counter that as much as possible, but ofc if we progressing and it seems i need that little extra eh, i just switch every thing over to +sta till we passed it.

our paladin in guild likes to gem for avoidance aswell so +def/sta(yellow) +dodge/sta(red&blue) and warrior puts +sta in everything but we all agree on +hit/sta(in yellow) till hit capped just bc missing a taunt is not done so reaching hit cap frees up a glyph spot ('mandatory' in our guild to have taunt glyph till hit capped, to much crap comes from missing a taunt)

ow and caps to reach
    +540def (or a bit less if you use pvp shoulder enchant, just get crit immune)
    +263 hit rating (to not miss taunt, but obviously not at the cost of everything)
    26 expertise (that's 20 expertise to get from gear for blood dk or +164 exp rating)
    Last edited by wazdaa; 09-25-2009 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flacidhero View Post
    If you just stack stam all you can do is take allot of hits it don't really help you avoid damage. wouldn't being able to avoid damage be more important than having just stam. I know the point of a tank is to just take as much damage as he can during a fight and being able to have a health pool to can with stand a large blow is good but wouldn't it also be better to be able to avoid some or most of that damage? I'm new to dk tanking so all this information is helpful and I'm reading everything i can on the site but i cant seem to find the answer im asking for above.
    You will get natural avoidance on gear as you gear up, past defense cap all that is important for the majority of fights is stamina.
    There are a few exceptions, but those are at levels you don't need to worry about yet.

OK well right now my shoulders don't have gem in them it has 1 red socket and the socket bonus is 6 stam now should i put 30 stam in it or should i put exp/stam gem so il have 10 expertise and 15 stam plus the 6 stam from the bonus.

In regards to the "isn't it better to just avoid damage rather than take it to the face" argument. Yes, per hit and not counting healers I would agree... unfortunately that is not how tanking really works at the moment.

The main reason to gem stam is because avoidance isn't reliable. Because of this the damage you take is not consistant. I.E. if you have 50% dodge+parry+miss you can still be hit 4 times in a row, it's not always going to go dodge -> hit -> parry -> hit -> miss -> hit or whatever. Over a long period of time hits will even out to your total avoidance, but you're not going to die over time, you're going to die to an unlucky avoidance string where in that parcel of time your avoidance is effectively 0% due to bad RNG. There are also several bosses out there that have stun effects (these are some of the hardest bosses to tank) like anub and beasts that will negate all avoidance, and that is when you need to be able to survive the most. Only stam, armor, and miss will help you there, stam and armor being the only ones that are reliable.

Even bosses without stun mechanics can drop a tank fast if they have lots of avoidance but low EHP. Take Algalon for example. He hits hard and fast, if you have an unlucky avoidance streak, you can simply take too much damage and just die. Your healers are most likely going to be bombing big heals anyways on these fights, so a lot of times if you have the EHP to survive and you don't dodge, you'll get healed anyways, or if you do avoid it might end up as an overheal. Steelbreaker is another example. He simply hits like a truck, and avoidance doesn't matter, you've gotta be able to just eat it.

I only carry around 2 tank sets these days really. My EHP set where I ignore every stat except stam and armor, and my threat set where I reach for exp/hit caps for fights I'm not going to have to worry about dying on.

It's kind of a slack jawed way of gearing and gemming since there's no real balance that you have to maintain between other stats than stam and armor, but that's just how tanking works these days.

TL;DR: s*** hits hard get stam

Edit: I'm actually going to make a caveat to all this. S*** at high end hits hard, if you're going to tank something at or above your gearlevel you want stam. If you're just doing more low end stuff and heroic 5 mans, then finding the hit and expertise caps and such may be more to your personal benefit, end game gemming isn't the only thing around, just what is considered what you should gem for if you ever find yourself tanking one of the harder hitting bosses, esp at low gear levels.
    Last edited by Aggathon; 09-25-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Think of stamina as your limited survival food out in the wilderness. At the start you have a lot but you gradually begin to lose it, when its all gone you're screwed.

+ Reply to Thread