+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stoneskin v Fallen Crusader

Stoneskin v Fallen Crusader

Just wondering if anyone has theory crafted or test the advantages of using fallen crusader instead of gargoyle for 2 hand tanking. My defense is pushing 573 atm. So if I wanted I could change it up. But before I tried I wanted to know if it's already been done and deemed not worthy.

Surely you'd be better off with Swordshattering for the +4% parry?
    I'm assuming that threat isnt an issue, of course.

It's fun for maximizing TPS, but for overall tanking the 600+ health and 2+ avoidance from SSG is unbeatable.
    4% Parry doesn't compare either.

Edit - Also I'll trade you one of my Jugs Vits for your axe. PST.

I'd love one, though you can't get my axe! When I got it I was able to regem to almost all stam. I had been gemming hit/stam because of all the gear changes and the huge shortfall of having hit. Just can't stand to not be hit capped.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruke View Post
    I'd love one, though you can't get my axe! When I got it I was able to regem to almost all stam. I had been gemming hit/stam because of all the gear changes and the huge shortfall of having hit. Just can't stand to not be hit capped.
    I feel your pain totally, exactly how I was gearing. I just recently changed out Fate's Clutch with Fortification and it dropped me to 7.61 with Snapper Extreme, waiting on that stupid Axe to cap me again
    Or Fleshrender.
    Good lord @ Fleshrender, best DK tanking weapon I have ever seen, even though it is a 3.4.

The question you asked is does anyone know which is better between [threat] and [survival].

That's a personal choice. If you're going for survival SSG or SS are your choices with SSG being a stronger candidate for Blood/Health interests, and SS being the stronger choice for damage reduction and RS support.

If you're going for threat, Fallen Crusader is a nice buff, and it gives you a tiny amount of parry when it procs, which isn't wasted but no where near the tanking runes.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Also I forgot to answer, I saw about a 4-700 TPS increase, that will obviously go up as gear level improves.

Not only would you be giving up 6-800 health but also giving up 3% avoidance.
    25 Def = 1 % Parry, 1% Dodge, 1% To be missed and unless you think 60-80 stam is worth less than 1% parry, Swordshattering is not an option either.

Actually I have 575 defense, 27.88 dodge, 20.03 parry, 42,541 hps unbuffed.

If I switch to Fallen Crusader I have, 550 defense, 26.88 dodge, 19.03 parry, 41,881 hps unbuffed.

So unbuffed that is a loss of 1% dodge, 1% parry, 1% to be hit and 660 hps.

When I proc fallen crusader I gain .62% parry which is a loss of .38% parry instead of 1% again this is unbuffed.

Seems to me it maybe worth it when I am not on progression to increase my DPS and push TPS higher. A loss of 1% dodge, 1% to be hit and .38% parry isn't something I would prefer to do during progression. The loss of 660 hps even in progression really doesn't make a difference at all.
    Last edited by Pruke; 09-25-2009 at 06:10 AM.

"The loss of 660 hps even in progression really doesn't make a difference at all."

truth. people put wayyy too much faith in the 2% stam buff from SSG. once you're over 40k unbuffed health, you're talking about a drop in the bucket in terms of how much you're getting hit for. the situation where that 660 hp would save your life is rare indeed. Besides, if you even get to that point, I think you could pretty convincingly argue that's a healing failure, not a tank failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruke View Post
    Actually I have 575 defense, 27.88 dodge, 20.03 parry, 42,541 hps unbuffed.

If I switch to Fallen Crusader I have, 550 defense, 26.88 dodge, 19.03 parry, 41,881 hps unbuffed.

So unbuffed that is a loss of 1% dodge, 1% parry, 1% to be hit and 660 hps.

When I proc fallen crusader I gain .62% parry which is a loss of .38% parry instead of 1% again this is unbuffed.

Seems to me it maybe worth it when I am not on progression to increase my DPS and push TPS higher. A loss of 1% dodge, 1% to be hit and .38% parry isn't something I would prefer to do during progression. The loss of 660 hps even in progression really doesn't make a difference at all.
    Exactly. Whenever we do Ulduar now, even the overnerfed hard modes, I switch to fallen Crusader and one of my Juggernauts Vits to Darkmoon Card Greatness. Always do at least 4K, sometimes pushing 5K DPS, and it's never even close to an issue for tank death.
    The only fights in ToC Heroic that I even want SSG are Beasts and Anub either... I still reccomend giving it a whirl.

+ Reply to Thread