+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Like some info on DK tanking

Like some info on DK tanking

Hello i would like to say iam new to the forums but have been looking at this site and watching the videos since the beginning of wotlk and would like to say thanks.

I have been raiding as a healer since the dawn of time rolled a dk like everyone else and would like to start playing around with him.

I have been reading and looking for advice all over and all everypost ever gets into is a fight over cd's witch spec is better and why did they reduce frost presc. nothing ever to answer what iam truley looking for, so that is why iam here.

As of now iam tanked spec'd for doing heroics and things are cakewalk, i got a spec off here and went with it, but would like to get into raiding now.

My questions are i would like to know what is needed for Hit, Exoertise Dodge and parry, overall avoidence i guess, it seems iam a little squishy should i be stacking avoidence gems instead of stam? Each person has "Theee" spec iam not asking give me a good spec please but i wanna change out of heroic spec into raiding spec, if you could point me in the right direction that would be great,

Thanks so much,keep up the good work

What's your spec now? I assume Frost. A link to your Armory would be helpful. But the following is a very general outline.

Choose a spec with which you're comfortable; all three work for heroics or raiding. I've always been Frost for tanking, it's what I'm used to and comfortable with. Don't buy into the rigid single target, multi-target classification. Learn your spec and you'll tank anything. I love when know-it-alls, tell me that Frost is only for multi-tartet. "What, 'cause I can grab and hold aggro on several targets, it means I can't hold threat on a single target?"

I used to be big on strength and stamina, but now it's stamina and expertise. Stamina is first (nautally assuming your 540 defense); then hit and/or expertise. You need to hit your target to generate threat, once your hit is 265, then you want the soft expertiese cap of 26 so you can't be dodged. Don't gem avoidance, as your gear improves you'll get it.

I'm sure others who know a heck of a lot more about this then me will chime in.

Happy tanking.

The World of Warcraft Armory

there is a link to my talents and my items, i know im still little but im growing up fast lol. what % should a DK have for ddoge around 26+?

Hey there,

To answer your questions. At your point and level do not go out of your way to gem for hit or expertise. Focus on your EH.

Your spec is a lot different than mine and im blood, i do not use rune tap or mark of blood, for raiding you will need wotn (will of the necropolis).

Corpse explosion isnt really useful outside of naxx, keep it if you plan on doing naxx but at your current health pool being def capped and badge farming you should go straight into ulduar.

For your glyphs and raiding make sure you grab rune strike glyph to be replaced by your dnd glyph.

in terms of talents, personally, i'd take your points out of rune tap move them to wotn, the last point put into hysteria (good melee buff) and take the point from corpse explosion and move it to necrosis.

secondly and i cant stress the importance of this for threat.
    #showtooltip
    /cast Blood Strike
    /cast !Rune Strike
    macro that to all your strikes, it, ps, hs, ds, etc. do not use deathcoil as part of your rotation.

That should get you started in the right direction.

Ok so i have revamped my talent tree, and doing glyphs as we speak, i will post a new armory after i log out so it saves to wow. Im a little confused on the macro, was that the rotaion u use IT,PS,HS,DS and i was supposed to macro blood strike and rune srtike to each, so really i would be casting IT w/ BS and RS, PS w/ BS and RS, HS w/ BS and RS, DS w/ BS and RS?

other thing about the macro, the top line on the macro is it supposed to say tooltip, and the runestrike line is it supposed to have a ! at beginning? Sorry i sound like such a noob im just used to heal heal heal clicking buttons on healbot LMAO

nono lol, like this.

make macro

#showtooltip
    /cast Icy Touch
    /cast !Rune Strike

New macro

#showtooltip
    /cast Blood Strike
    /cast !Rune Strike

New macro

#showtooltip
    /cast Death Strike
    /cast !Rune Strike

Etc for each different ability. that way all your strikes do the strike+runestrike if available. Doing this lets you do your rotation plus using available rune strikes as they come.

so basically on your toolbar you'll have your icons use the same ones for the strikes so you dont get confused. the ! needs to be in front to make sure the casting of rune strike is correct.

thank you very much, i have made the macro's and i tanked H occ after i held around 75% overall damage for the instance. ( i think it was like 73.7 or soemthing) and that is pretty good damage taken for my first kick at the cat, only stronger things to come. thanks for the help, here is a new armory link to what i have changed, a few items alsohttp://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ghostlands&n=Frozentank

+ Reply to Thread