+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Haven't tanked since Vanilla.

Haven't tanked since Vanilla.

As the title says, I haven't tanked on my warrior since I was pugging ZG and MC. I have been doing a lot of reading on these forums the past day or so and it has been a huge help. I have been playing a priest since 06 and have known nothing about melee combat.

It would be a great help to me if some of you could give me some pointers on my gear and/or spec. I want to start tanking 10 naxx pugs. I'm hoping to be able to start Thursday Night (24th). I have read that I need 8% hit, 26 Exp skill, and min 540 Def to not be crit. I have gemmed for exp using the 8 exp/12 stam gems.

I am feeling confident in my ability to tank, I am just worried about my gear. I am close to the number required.

EDIT: I should add that I have been 80 for less than a week and have yet to start my Hodir quests. I hit 80 in Zul-Drak

Any pointers will be greatly welcomed.
    The World of Warcraft Armory

Thanks

Overall for someone who has been out of tanking a while your on the right track.

A couple of things I noticed. Make sure all your gear is enchanted, you have alot of blues and Naxx while not hard by today's standard might prove challenging depending on the PuG you get in.

For threat, expertise is the way to go. Exp > hit, always. But, you may want to focus more on EH(meaning STA) for gemming/enchants at this point. If you are going to be OTing, then the threat will certainly help. But, STA/Def is never a bad choice for survivability. You will notice as you gear up in Naxx your defense will take a hit and it gets harder to stay above the minimum. Try to pick up the Repelling Charge from Thaddius as soon as it's available to you. It will serve you well in the near future.

Lastly, on your spec. You have 12 points in Arms, but did not go for Deep Wounds, to me thats kind of a waste. Also, in the Prot tree you should really take Gag Order, I'd suggest loosing the points in Cruelty. Those points would be better served elsewhere.

Good luck in Naxx.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a new question about spec.

I have seen some tanks go for Imp Revenge, some go for Gag order. Do those two choices balance each other out, or should priority be given to one over the other at my current gear level?

Talents...

Drop:
    3x Puncture
    3x One-Handed Weapon Spec (leaving 2 points still there)

Add:
    2x Improved Revenge
    2x Gag Order
    2x Improved Def Stance

The Improved Def Stance (which procs a lot) + 2x One-Handed Weap Spec will give you +14% physical damage (+4% more than 5 points in One-Handed Weap Spec) and less damage from spells. It will also give you an enraged buff that you can use to pop Enraged Regeneration.

And about your gear... You're thinking smart about the stats, but it's going to be hard to start tanking raid stuff with 24K HP. You need 30K+.

Gem for stamina right now until you have enough gear to gem for other things while maintaining +30K HP and 540 def.

***edit***

Improved Rend is alright, but don't give up Gag Order for it. If you want it...

Drop:
    2x Improved Heroic Strike

Add:
    2x Improved Rend
    Last edited by Demianu27; 09-23-2009 at 09:48 AM.

naxx does not requires 30k hp. You're thinking ulduar already. For his early goal, 24k is a fine start.

Personally, I'd skip improved rend. I played around with it when I was stuck with broken promise as a tank weapon but its really sub-par to use a global cooldown on it with very few exceptions.

Here are some things that I'd change:

I'd also ditch +20 hit on your hands for armsman.

Change your meta to the %2 armor value instead of the block value.

+22 stam on your boots instead of the dps enchant.

Accuracy on your weapon

Pvp enchant for your shoulder for the stam.

Upgrade the armor kit on your legs, they epic quality one shouldn't be that expensive.

If you've got the money, invest in blood draining for your weapon - should only be a few hundred gold. If you're feeling pinched, get accuracy - at least you'll get some extra crit out of it.

Ditch 5/5 cruelty and 3/3 puncture

Spend those 8 points in 3/3 deep wounds, 2/2 improved revenge and 2/2 gag order.

Gear upgrades:

Farm ToC regular for the black heart trinket - it'll give you a nice stam boost and let you get rid of one of those lvl 70 trinkets you're sporting.

Run regular HoL for the Seal of the Pantheon to replace your other trinket.

Run heroic Utgarde Keep for the Unmashable Band

Run heroic violet hold for the bolstered legplates

Run Heroic Gundrak for the Horn-Tipped Gauntlets

Run heroic halls of stone for the Woeful Band (or buy the Signet of the Accord
    from the AH if you're feeling flush)

Then run the heck out of heroic ToC - its not going to be easy but there are some solid tanking upgrades that will serve you until Ulduar

+ Reply to Thread