+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Purified Onyxia Blood Talisman

Purified Onyxia Blood Talisman

What do you think of this little thing: Purified Onyxia Blood Talisman - Item - World of Warcraft ? I need to use a trinket providing me some defense as neither Stoneguad nor Mark of the Relentless or Seal of Ulduar have defense on them. Another option for me would be regemming some defense to drop the defense trinket for one of the brewfest trinkets. Which way should i go?

I won the head last night and after much thought I passed it on to a mage who could use the caster much more then I could the tanky trinket.(10 man version)
    I just really was not that excited about what it gave to me. If it would have had even a tiny bit of armor or stam I would have went for it.
    Just didnt seem that exciting to me. Now I may crunch the numbers and find out I made a stupid mistake, but the mage was my wife so its still a win situation for me.

Well maybe some more information would be useful ... my char is this one:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

If i'm not wearing tankgear you also could take a look at this:
    chardev.org v6 ~ a World of Warcraft character planner

To be honest i don't own all these epic gems yet but i'm working on it At least the blue corresponding gems are in. Also i'm expert miner giving another 60 stamina not shown in the character profile.

I'm doing only 10 mans (some of them as hardmode) as tank. Do you think i should exchange repelling charge for the talisman or should i regem for more def and use a second stamina trinket?

I picked up the same thing last night, there's no difference between the 10 and 25 man since it's the same head -> quest turn in as far as i could tell.

I picked this one up too and coupled with Eitriggs or Vezax's they'd make an insane avoidance trinket combo, I'm just trying to figure out which boss I should wear two of those for instead of my black heart/heart of iron combo.....

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Might be good for pushing to unhittable for the burrowers in Heroic Anub'Arak.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    I picked up the same thing last night, there's no difference between the 10 and 25 man since it's the same head -> quest turn in as far as i could tell.

I picked this one up too and coupled with Eitriggs or Vezax's they'd make an insane avoidance trinket combo, I'm just trying to figure out which boss I should wear two of those for instead of my black heart/heart of iron combo.....
    I won the head yesterday and wound up with a similar decision. We had horrible luck with Ulduar and only saw 1 Heart of Iron, which I do not have, and we have yet to see a tanking trinket from 25 man ToC. Likewise, only one tanking trinket from 10 man Ulduar, and I don't have that either. So my current trinket lineup is: Black Heart, the Dodge / Armor on use trinket from 10 man ToC (heroic version), and the Onyxia Blood Talisman. I also have a 170 stam trinket from Direbrew in the event I tank anything purely magical damage sometime soon. Here are my thoughts:
    • I am using the Onyxia Blood Talisman as my standard second trinket with Black Heart, mostly because my dodge was very high, and with DR the parry rating is better for me.
    • For a fight with predictable heavy burst, i.e. Gormok, I am keeping the 10 man ToC trinket on hand in case I feel like I need an extra "On use" cooldown.
    • I really like having a trinket with +defense available to swap to, taking the risk out of making certain tanking sets. Anyone else have a Shadowmoon Insignia in TBC? Getting the needed +def as a warrior isn't really an issue with the ToC 25 / 10 gear, but it's still nice to have. Also, if you're running a couple 15 stam / 10 def gems, it lets you swap those out for Stam / hit and keep yellow socket bonuses (since ToC gear is so short on hit), in cases where socket bonus is something like 9 stam.
    "Sometimes attaining the deepest familiarity with a question is our best substitute for actually having the answer." -- Brian Greene.

Any idea why the tooltip for the talisman shows the Def and Parry rating gains for an @Level 70 instead of 80? Does this mean it's less than what is shown for an 80? If not this trinket is pretty amazing for an additional 4.5% parry before DR (I am in the same boat where my Dodge is about 25.5% and my parry is only 19.5%, so a huge boost to parry to normalize the two makes this look like a very nice piece, even though I would have to replace Monarch Crab to use it.

Just click on L70 and change to 80. At level 80 it is still 2.2% parry and 14 defense before DR.

Really help surviving on the burrowers @ 25 man hc anub. Sitting at 105% unhittable atm so i can swap in some more survival gear

Number one reason i'm going to be rolling on the head till I get this: I expect another resist fight in Icecrown, and I might need the defense.

NOTHING more embarrassing than being the only tank in your guild who bothered to make frost gear for Hodir, only to have to gem it with resilience to get uncrittable because the defense trinket in naxx NEVER dropped.

When tanking, I almost never think you can have too many trinkets - they swap around so conveniently, and each has value in different situations. Imagine a fight like Vezax that was tuned tighter to require more avoidance, and you won't dump this thing. Who knows what you'll need in the future.

I'm really tempted to grab the neck instead for offspec. But the neck off Heroic Beast/10 is better I think.

So I guess I'll get this trinket which is going to replace my repelling charge for sure... but does it replace my fervor of the frostborn? That's what I"m wondering. I guess I'll do some experimenting this week.

I'm not particularly impressed by this trinket.

For starters, there's the age old debate between Effective Health vs Avoidance. The Parry and Defense helps against physical damage, but the danger from most boss encounters revolve around magic damage or a mechanic that Parry and Defense won't help against. This makes this trinket awfully situational.

The health regen is borderline useless. If a boss can burst you down, it'll happen in less than five seconds. At most, you'll get one tick if you're lucky. Otherwise, the health boost has no effect on healers' mana.

With the Brewfest trinkets now available and very easy to obtain, this further trivializes this trinket. There is no situation where I'd prefer the parry/defense boost over 170+ Stamina.

I opted for the neck for off-spec. Not a big fan of this trinket.

My main problem with this, aside from the use as a gimmick trinket for the shield classes on Anub, is that avoidance simply isn't effective at preventing tank death for the most difficult encounters now. It wastes ilvl on gimmick stats, and it lacks the "on use" other high end trinkets have which make them so appealing (like the 6-8% dodge from Glyph of Indom).
    It has a limited niche, but I can hardly get excited about it.

It's got a ton of avoidance on it and is good within that paradigm. It certainly appears that Blizz has made EH the truly predominant trait for tanking these encounters....but you never know what will come in Icecrown.

I'd pick it up for just in case.
    "I'm a rage-a-holic! I'm addicted to rageahol!" -Homer Simpson

I feel like the only real use for this trinket is for an unhittable set for Anub's adds or for a very slow and predictable boss where healers can heal you to full between hits, because of the lack of on use ability or proc. Which limits it to only a handful of encounters. If i win the head I will probably pick it up but still it is kind of meh if you ask me.

+ Reply to Thread