+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to gem for.

What to gem for.

So I've been in and out of ToGC 10 for a week or two now and my guild is still having troubles with the Northrend beasts. So i've been looking through my gear and switching pieces here and there. I've talked with a few of my friends, guild members as well as looking through the forums for strats and easier ways to down them. I figured I should give my group the best shot at downing this boss.
    So my rotation with CD's was good my threat was up everything was going well. I continue to go down faster than the DK tank so I played around with some pieces and nothing seems to work. As I explore the gear sets type of gear people had been gearing for. I've started to notice a difference between two types of Gemming.
    Gemming for either dodge / parry and stam gems in blue sockets and making every socket bonus. Or Going to pure stam gems the whole way through. My question is what is the benifit for Gemming 10 dodge +15 stam and 10 Def and 15 Stam.. Opposed to going straight through for the 30 stams i know it's a big boost to dodge depending on how many sockets you are using you can get a little over 1% of dodge or parry. And If you have some extra def gems is the extra def going to be enough rating to boost up everything enough to scale to more EH.
    I've also noticed that some of the players I see with more end game gear gem more to hitting the socket bonuses. So is it just due to the gear that they have they are able to sacrifice some hp for more dodge and def? I couldn't find any answers for a while so I figured I would make a post myself here is a link to my armory any tips would be helpful and appreciated.

Heh forgot the armory here it is

The World of Warcraft Armory

You enchanted and geared correctly from an EH point of view.
    I.e. maximising Health and Armor at the cost of avoidance.

This enables you to take on encounters not made for your gear-level, i.e. taking bigger hits than you are supposed to.

The thing with wrath is:
    Almost all encounters no matter how good you are geared start to feel like this.

But there are some things you might want to consider:
    Your Weapon-, your Glove- and your Shoulder-enchant are all fine but if you need more HP/Armor there are better alternatives than those.

Avoidance nor Threat don't help you in a worst-case scenario.

I honestly think its neither your gear-, nor your socket-, nor your enchants-choices that stop you from progressing in ToGC10. Watch for how you are being healed when you die, watch for what your healers are doing when you die, be very clear when you are taunting off the other tank and tell this your healers in advance.

I stopped dieying as soon as I started counting dow like this: "Grobiene taunts in 3, 2, NOW!".

If you need a mod to help you figure out why you died - get grim reaper.

To be honest: If you get 1 autohit, 2 bleed ticks and impale in under 2 seconds you can and will die if there isn't a lucky heal and a few hot ticks in there and there is nothing you could do to avoid this.

I gem both ways. I look at the socket bonus. If it's something juicy like +9 stam, i try to make it. If it's something crappy like +4 dodge, i go for full stam gem.

Tankpoints addon & the internalized calculator helps a lot in seeing if the socket bonus is worth it. Try it out.

For the specific case of northrend beasts, we found keeping a max of 2 stacks on the tank the most reliable and taunting about 5-6 before the 3rd is about to land. Try watching out for the timing of the stomps as those can easily throw off your taunt and let the tanks get a 3rd tick (which makes the healers go nuts and a wipe if any still has a snobold on him)

You're geared fine for a 10man hard. You could use survival 5/15/51 spec, but I don't think a bit bigger shouts would change something too much. It seems that I'm getting less damage than (similary geared) second tank, DK (with ~38-39khp, 27,6k armor unbuffed on 25man hard).

So yea, probably you should shout that you're taunting in few secs. I don't know if you're double armor potting too (one before fights begin, second if needed later), it helps a lot. And you might rethink your tanks' rotation. Build your own if those in known tactics don't work for you.

Right now, due to the power of epic gems, you pretty much wanna socket straight Stamina, except for one socket which you'd use a Dodge/Stamina gem, in order to get your Meta Gem active.

The only time you'd want to consider getting a socket bonus really is if the socket bonus is at least 12 Stamina... a very rare occurrence.

Try to use your one purple gem to get yourself a stamina socket bonus somewhere in your gear.
    [Female Tauren Warrior]

I just switched everything that was not giving me at least 6 stamina for 10 dodge/defense rating over to stamina..

That means:
    All gems blue unless 1 purple/green gem would give 9 stamina
    All enchants stamina unless ratio is better than 6 stam per 10 (see shield, gloves and soon the pvp shoulder enchant)

Yes I think its dumb but with the rediculously high burst on beasts hardmode, the only thing that matters is stamina and armor . Everything else can be healed through.

+ Reply to Thread