+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Holy Spec Talents...

Holy Spec Talents...

These are the current trees I have:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

My mentor took these as his:

is there some methodology to his madness? I know I could probably ditch the imp. might for the seal cooldown talents. But is there a particular reasion why he took imp. righteous fury and the divine sac.?

I believe the reason that he has taken the Divine Sac. talent is to provide a one-time emergency raid wide "heal" by popping Divine Sac at the same time as Divine Shield, which redirects the damage to the paladin, but protects himself due to the Divine Shield. as for the imp. righteous fury, your guess is as good as mine.

Generally, people spec Holy/Prot (With more Holy) as a PvP build, but he lacks simple other PvP holy talents. Have you asked him why he picked those talents up as I am quite curious about it myself too.

Hey there!

Only reason I can think of is an encounter where bubble + divine sacrifice can mitigate a lot of damage like tantrums on XT.

But even then there's little sense in speccing that way as holy because of the loss on crit and mana conservance that comes with the retribution tree.

Divine sacrifice is the place where retribution pallies normally go for added raid utility. They can reach it easily and gather good talents on the way, too. For holy pallies this is *meh* because of all the points lost in PVP talents along the way (righteous fury beeing one of them) that just have to be spent to get deep enough into the tree.

But please go ahead and ask him. Maybe there's something we are missing at the moment.

Cheers!
    skaggi

The reason you would pick up Improved Righteous Fury is to redirect adds that you might pick up through healing aggro to the Paladin and away from squishier healers. In fights where there are a lot of adds running around (Sartharian springs to mind, as well as Thorim's Arena, Razorscale, etc) the sheer number of them can often mean an offtank can't always pick all of them up straight away.

Adds usually have a healer highest on their threat table when they spawn in unless they are picked up and attacked by someone else. Given that a Holy Paladin might typically be healing the tank with Beacon of Light on themselves, they have huge survivability compared to the other healing classes without losing any of their tankhealing capability.

Therefore, in an add fight where it's reasonable to expect the tank to take a few seconds to collect everything in sight, a Holy Paladin will run Righteous Fury to ensure that they attack him before others. Improved Righteous Fury further enhances their survivability in such situations by adding a flat 6% damage mitigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Xephy View Post
    These are the current trees I have:

My mentor took these as his:

is there some methodology to his madness? I know I could probably ditch the imp. might for the seal cooldown talents. But is there a particular reasion why he took imp. righteous fury and the divine sac.?

Divine sacrifice is the main reason to spec prot as your offspec. It is an INCREDIBLE raiding talent.

Improved r.fury is because there are not any better places to spend the points and on most non add fights you can use r.fury without pulling healing aggro so extra damage reduction is nice. Not something to use all the time but in the right scenario why not.

As to the talents you currently have they are similar to my healing spec though I only put 1 point in improved concentration aura and pick up sanctity of battle in ret. This gives better personal performances at the cost of a raid wide damage reduction cooldown. I often respec between the two specs when divine sacrifice is needed.

I also prefer the beacon glyph to the flash of light one.
    Last edited by Meeks; 09-23-2009 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    The reason you would pick up Improved Righteous Fury is to redirect adds that you might pick up through healing aggro to the Paladin and away from squishier healers. In fights where there are a lot of adds running around (Sartharian springs to mind, as well as Thorim's Arena, Razorscale, etc) the sheer number of them can often mean an offtank can't always pick all of them up straight away.
    Improved r.fury does not increase aggro more than baseline. It simply reduces damage you take. It is a filler talent used on some fights to lower raid damage where threat is not a problem.

Hmm

I was thinking of ditching a few talents, like the imp might I was thinking of putting them into the seal cooldown talent. But I like the glyph for flash 'cause for some reason I find myself flash spamming more times then not. I figure I can get two flashes of like 6k in time of one holy for 13k maybe 18k. I do like the idea of taking out of concent aura, but I also like the fact that it reduces the stun, etc effects; at the same time we SHOULD have a shammy in a raid with a grounding totem soo.. toss up.

Look at the Group

Its good that you are looking at the overlapping buffs from other people. Personally i find that my Holy spec off talent points go wherever is best for the raid (generally looking at other Paladins).

Looking at my own guild (10 man) there is no regular Protection Paladin that comes with us. For this reason i have specced down to imp dev aura mainly for it's 6% healing buff but i also find its passive armor buff more beneficial than concentration aura. Also our Ret paladins while having the divine sacrifice talent can miss their queue to proc it and after all theres no such thing as too much mitigation is there? Finally i find the increased mitigation and duration from Divine Guardian talent to be very beneficial in that i can simply spam FoL and not be totally overrun in many scenarios. It's the further down talents i'd guess he's chasing with imp RF and others, they are just the most useful in each tier for him.

On the other hand when i do run with a Prot Paladin or in a 25 man raid i believe the bonus crit from the ret tree's conviction and sanctity of battle are bigger gains since you can spam HL for longer. Along with imp BoM (as it'll usually be a pug raid and a Ret pally isn't a garuntee but BoM is still loved by melee + hunters) and PoJ for general survivability in movement intensive fights.

IMO the prot tree benefits are marginally better as they allow you to be more supportive to the raid. where as; ret off-talents tend to make HL spammers divine pleaing on cooldown paladins with big HPS but not much depth in healing style.

Oh and as a healer; the haste buff from JotP is the biggest use for using judgement and lasts a minute so imp judgement isn't really a great talent imo.

Either way its a tough choice, goodluck

+ Reply to Thread