+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I would be grateful for some advice/criticism

I would be grateful for some advice/criticism

I am normally a holy pally. I can heal just fine; but I ran a heroic the other day in my prot spec. My gear is just fine but I find myself getting nervous/and or not aware of my surroundings very well.

Any advice in overcoming this flaw? Like how y'all started way back when and got over this fact.

Just tank more and you will gain confidence in your ability.

Haarg is right -- just keep at it. Like many things in this game, a lot of it is getting your "rotation" and keybinds down. When you're tanking, you need to be able to zoom out, watch everything going on around you, look for adds, watch timers on boss abilities, et cetera. When you're new to tanking and you're busy thinking about what ability to hit, looking for which keybind you put ability X on, watching your health, etc, it distracts you and can cause you to miss things.

I've done every encounter in the game except Kil'Jaeden (never got past M'uru). With almost every fight, it's a lot of it is about getting that grove down where you know ahead of time which boss ability will require you to use which defensive CD, and allowing you to use your awareness more on your surroundings / your group rather than occupying your mind too much with "Crap, what should I hit now". Even after tanking for a long time, you can have that moment where you get "out of synch" -- i.e. you use the wrong CD, hit the wrong button, don't notice an add, something, and you have to just tell yourself to calm down, think about what CDs you have, improvise, and get back into groove mode.
    "Sometimes attaining the deepest familiarity with a question is our best substitute for actually having the answer." -- Brian Greene.

YA WAT I SAID!

I mean I can tell you this: You've found tankspot, you're already ahead of the game. You seemed to do fine from what you've said, and your nervousness will fade in time.

TBH It's -usually- not my fault whenever a wipe happens, it's kinda hard to mess up as a tank after you learn the basics (Don't face anything towards people, and you probably don't want dragons tails near anyone either).

I often find PvP is great for awareness and adaptability.

This is true.

I've been doing the pvp daily alot more now and I find pvp'in as prot is kinda fun because you have to tab to counter what not ..

It's all just doing it. As long as you have aggro, that is all you need to worry about in a heroic. Learn the fights, you'll be fine. Confidence in that you know what you are doing helps too. I had only ever OT'd in Naxx 10, I got tossed to main tank Naxx 25.... that scares me when there is DPS pushing 8k! What do I do? Think: I know what I am doing, I know where my "Oh crap" buttons are. TANK TILL YOU DIE!

+ Reply to Thread