+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Block Set Help

Block Set Help

Hello everyone, I wanted to check in to get some block set advice from people.
    Here is my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory
    I think I logged out in block gear last night and will try to do so again tonight. My stats are currently:
    • Armor: 25546
    • Defense: 541
    • Dodge: 25.84%
    • Parry: 16.48%
    • Block: 38.76% (about 2700 block I think)
    • HP: 32,556 unbuffed (down from my 40k+ in normal set hp lol)
    My main concern is not trash or 5m heroics, instead I am revisiting this set because (at least temporarily before patched) it seems to be a HUGE benefit on Heroic Anub'arak as the add tank. My main questions include:

Gear Help
    Any suggestions with regard to gear choices? Some pieces which I know need to be replaced:
    - Boots (either with the old Nax ones or trash drop from Ulduar if possible)
    - Weapon (i'll likely throw blade ward on my Titanguard for this set and leave my mace for my normal set)
    - Shoulders (I lost the roll for some NICE ilvl 245 block shoulders in heroic 10m ToC last night but hopefully they might show up again somewhere. The ones I have on now are from my normal set and won't be re-gemmed)
    - Head (These have block rating but would T9 with block value be a better choice?)
    - Legs (These have block value but the emblem legs have both block value and block rating so I may switch to them)
    - Trinkets (Should I consider switching to the emblem 1700+ armor trinket?)

Gem Help
    I never really did much with my block set previously so I am a bit hazy on how it should be gemmed: dodge or parry to increase avoidance? strength to increase block? stam to add additional survivability? a combination approach?

Stat Help
    Avoidance (defense, dodge, parry) vs Mitigation (armor) vs Block (rating & value) any thoughts?

Input from people that are familiar with block sets would be greatly appreciated, especially in a 10/25m raid setting for the Heroic Anub'arak fight. I had no problem on the heroic 10m ads last night however I don't know how it will go on Heroic 25m and want to setup my set as well as possible.

giff moar info

Saw last patch notes, critical block gives has 60% proc rate, hmmm i had 6K(with shield block up) blocks when it proced, think its time to look for block gear.
    More info on this plz

There is a thread in the ToC forum about this. Dunno if anyone has any more specific info since the burrower damage was changed tho.

Basically, the goal is to be unhittable vs. lv 82 mobs and stack as much block value as possible. Hp is not an issue. Everything should be gemmed for defense and enchanted for the most avoidance/block possible. 3k block unbuffed is a good mark. Threat stats are also not too important because you will be doing ~6k+ dps while all 4 adds are attacking due to how much damage shield does here.

^^this was all true before today's patch. I can't say how well this setup still works yet.
    Last edited by Dragaan; 09-23-2009 at 02:15 AM.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware I should be gemming for all defense. What is the reasoning for doing that instead of dodge/parry for avoidance or strength to raise block value?

oooo I just remembered I should probably switch to Eternal Earthsiege Diamond - Item - World of Warcraft as my meta?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelnut View Post
    What is the reasoning for doing that instead of dodge/parry for avoidance or strength to raise block value?
    Point for point defense rating covers more of the combat table to become unhittable. For example:

20 defense rating = 0.16 dodge, 0.16 parry, 0.16 miss, 0.16 block = 0.65%
    20 dodge rating = 0.44%

Ok here are my updated stats:
    • About 98.34% unbuffed toward unhittable goal of 102.4%
    • Armor: 24939
    • Defense: 563
    • Dodge: 24.66%
    • Parry: 17.29%
    • Block: 41.65% (unbuffed 3124 block value)
    I still need to replace my legs with the vendor ones, that should take me a bit closer, if 16.39 block rating = 1% then that should bring me up around 102%, then gem it with 2 of the 20def gems and I should be unhittable

EDIT: I will likely switch to this spec 15/3/53 Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
    Last edited by Squirrelnut; 09-23-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Remember, the mobs are lv82. You only need ~101%. You really want to be close to 3k block value also. "Unhittable" won't save you unless your block is at least 2.5k ish.

I used my set again tonight and it worked just fine. The changes really haven't made any difference (for me at least).

In my last post I mentioned my block value is currently at 3124 so being close to 3k shouldn't be an issue

EDIT: In my current gear @ 98.34% towards unhittable (unbuffed) I am looking at now changing:
    - Switch 3 JC gems from 36 dodge to 36 defense = 1.13% closer
    - Enchant Titanguard with 26 agility = .35% closer
    - Switch from T8.5 legs over to Wyrmguard Legplates from vendor = 2.51% closer
    - Replace my last 30stam gem over to 20 Defense = .65% closer
    = 102.98% unbuffed if I didn't completely fail @ math (which I probably did)

Seems pretty good with my Block Value still at 3076 unbuffed. Combine that with the 3.2.2 change to 60% critical block chance and things should workin pretty well even with the buff to Anub'arak and running 5man heroics will be hilarious

Would go hand in hand with this variation of: 15/3/53
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
    Last edited by Squirrelnut; 09-24-2009 at 01:03 PM.

I think what all this means is not only will I be unhittable and make Anub'arak easy to OT but 5mans will be really entertaining because I will block 3076 of any attack that actually hits me + 60% chance of critical block so 3076 to 6152 + 10% increased block value from Glyph of Blocking = 3383 to 6459 (possibly more depending on how critical block interacts with glyph of blocking)

Combine that with Damage Shield and I will be doing 615 to 676 damage to anything that hits me not to mention crits & deep wounds ticking away lol.

I want to solo run a Nax just to see what happens in spider wing before reaching the boss lol, that or have a group of level 40 rogues all attack me at once haha.

Whats the formula to calculate your total avoidance as a warrior?

-and-

is it possible to reach the 101% unhittable without blacksmithing?
    Last edited by Smokiez; 09-29-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokiez View Post
    is it possible to reach the 101% unhittable without blacksmithing?
    Yes it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelnut View Post
    I and running 5man heroics will be hilarious
    It's awesome. We did 5man heroic without healers. Now and then a Ret Paladin gave me a small heal^^

This is my Anub Heroic Set. I'm unhitable and also went for the hitcap against lvl 82 mobs. Why hitcap? Because the Add tanks are assigned to kick one of their add's Shadowstep.

chardev.org v6 ~ a World of Warcraft character planner

Note: My shield ist enchanted with Titanium Shield Spike - Item - World of Warcraft. The Spike isn't listed on chardev so I took the Platening as a placeholder.
    Last edited by fuddjupp; 09-30-2009 at 04:44 AM.

Update: In my block set I am now up to 102% unbuffed and easily carried over 102.4% 'unhittable' mark when buffed. My block value is over 3k unbuffed and things have been going well for me ad tanking on (heroic) Anub'arak. Sadly we have had consistency issues with our other tanks so the one tanking Anub has died a lot lawl but at least I am doing my part and requiring virtually no heals until phase 3

I realized that most addons do a TERRIBLE job at letting you know when you are unhittable, it is much more effective to use the macro:
    Code:
    /run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Unhittable at 102.4%% - you have %.2f%%", GetDodgeChance() + GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance() + 5 + 1/(0.0625 + 0.956/(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)/4.91850*0.04))))
    I thought I was unhittable long before I was and only discovered that error after using the macro to show the truth. I throw it on one of my bars and press it before Anub pull just so I know I have all my block set pieces on and am good to go.

Final update

Stats:
    Block Value = ~2915 unbuffed
    ~102.8% block/dodge/parry/miss unbuffed = over the 102.4% goal so I am completely unhittable. This means that every melee attack against me is either avoided completely or blocked reducing the damage by at least 2915 or more with 60% critical block chance

Gear:
    Wowhead Profiler
    Profiler - Wowhead

+ Reply to Thread