+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need another opinion on gear and gems

Need another opinion on gear and gems

I am wondering if anybody can give me some advice on gem options i have been geming for avoid and sta but was wondering if i should be geming for agi/sta straight agi or str/sta i havnt been able to see alot on which would be better if you could give me some advice on what looks good or what you might change concerning my other stats like avoidance, hit, or exp i would appreciate it.

here is my armory
    The World of Warcraft Armory

thanks

Re-read forum rules.

Wrong forum.

Moved.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Here's what you should look for in gemming and enchanting, in order of importance.
    • 5.6% critical strike reduction. This is essential, do not leave home without it. Add together the effects from resilience and defense to get your total number.
    • Activation of your meta gem. If your meta isn't active, you might as well not have it.
    • Stamina. Stamina is, especially for paladins, the best stat by far to have. It gives you threat (not a lot, but right now, we have pretty damn good threat anyway.) It gives you health - which is very nice to have. It gives you damage mitigation through Ardent Defender.

Only equip nonblue gems in slots that give a decent stamina bonus (+9 or more), and use a stamina/something else gem for those slots. You can probably activate your meta while doing this, so you'll strike two flies in one stone.

Ignore Agility completely. Best avoidance is, in order, Defense, Dodge, parry. Some people swap around defense and dodge in that row, they are very close together, and the more dodge you get, the better defense gets and vice versa.

Using that 10 to all gem to activate your meta or to activate a set bonus is an option, but I'd not put more then one in my gear. It's not a bad gem, but it's not ideal.
    (I think it's nice because it offers some threat, some avoidance, some health and some mana regen all at once, but you only get so little of each that using a purple or green gem may get you better results.)

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    Ignore Agility completely.
    I would question this. Granted point for point Dodge is better the agility for pure avoidance but you get more then just avoidance from agility. Theck did a great write-up of it here:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/guides/theorycraft/get-the-hell-out-of-dodge

Basically at current gear levels you get about 98% as much survivability from the same itemization of Agility as you would from dodge but you also get some threat.

If you are building a pure avoidance set by all means gem it purely dodge and defense but imo its not advisable to ignore agility completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Irat View Post
    I would question this. Granted point for point Dodge is better the agility for pure avoidance but you get more then just avoidance from agility. Theck did a great write-up of it here:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/guides/theorycraft/get-the-hell-out-of-dodge

Basically at current gear levels you get about 98% as much survivability from the same itemization of Agility as you would from dodge but you also get some threat.

If you are building a pure avoidance set by all means gem it purely dodge and defense but imo its not advisable to ignore agility completely.
    You know what, you are right. He should gem for agility as much as he should gem for dodge, which is not at all.

Hi there!

Sorry to say that but there is no general rule like "socket this, enchant that and you're golden".

Examine the boss you're going againts. If his biggest hit hits you for amount X try to have a little more that double X as life and then go for avoid.

If you can't reach enough life to live through a third hit without heals (questionable with some the current bosses) it's not worth going there because all of that pretty life is in vain when you don't avoid the third hit and go to resurrection hell anyway.

(For the really precise: Don't count unavoidable one time WTF attacks like Algalon's big bang etc. and even forget about gimmick fights because they just don't count )

The rest has to come from the heals.

Oh... and don't forget those threat stats completely. DPS can become quite beasty with the new ToC equip...

Cheers!
    skaggi

You know what, you are right. He should gem for agility as much as he should gem for dodge, which is not at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martie
    Only equip nonblue gems in slots that give a decent stamina bonus (+9 or more), and use a stamina/something else gem for those slots.
    Don't forget that Agi is affected by a host of raid buffs as well whereas Dodge isn't, meaning that an Agi/Stam gem to activate a desireable socket bonus or your meta isn't necessarily a bad idea. Agi/Stam is the best EH gem that activates a red socket if needed so it's probably a bit much to say he should "never" gem for Agi, though I agree that it should always be a hybrid gem and that it should only be in places it's desireable to activate a red socket (typically +9 Stam bonus or greater).

Carte blanche statements like this achieve nothing. Imo your really shouldn’t be stating rules to live by for anyone, but rather trying to educate them in the options and get them to make the decision based on their circumstances.

I tank more then half of Ulduar in my block gear now all gemmed for Strength. Is that wrong? Its not best practice by any means but the healers are happy to deal with the extra heals and the raids DPS benefits.

If your upset that I pointed out that you statement about dodge was 100% accurate then I apologies but its better to make sure that all the information is out there and not just part of it.

+ Reply to Thread