+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exertise and Hit

Exertise and Hit

I have been reading and now with T9 people have started talking about hit and expertise again and how important they are. I have always tried to keep my hit capped and expertise soft capped, but now with so little hit on items it will be hard. I have heard now that really hit rating isn't needed and I should not worry about it. I would like to know if this is true or should I still try to keep hit capped which means I will probably have to use the tier 9 legs?

I don't know if you need my armory but I will post it anyways.The World of Warcraft Armory My second trinket is either The Black Heart - Item - World of Warcraft or the new brewfest trinket depending on how much magic damage vs. phisical there is.

Any answers please?

Dude, you expect an answer in two and a half hours after posting?

I know the answer, and was going to give it to you. Now you'll have to wait and learn some patience.

It really depends on what you are doing, so let me see if I can help at all (I am impatient as well so I won't get all huffy like Martie lawl)

Your gear looks like you are beginning to get into ToC content. Really ToC normal and most (non-hardmode) content prior to that survivability wasn't much of an issue and as such we got to play with maxing out threat stats like hit/expertise as much as possible. With regard to threat it is great to soft/hard cap expertise and cap hit however once you start looking at Heroic 10/25m ToC difficulty ramps up fairly quickly and tanks get beat on pretty hard.

If you have everything keybound and good rotation priorities in place I expect you would be in a situation where threat is not much of an issue and you can afford to lose some of your threat stats in favor of survivability. With the nature of ilvl 232, 245, 258 stat itemization, staying hit capped becomes near impossible to do unless you forego gear upgrades and limit yourself in tanking the heroic versions of ToC.

I have personally found it far more efficient to benefit from all the expertise on the new gear pieces and simply use a glyph of taunt while letting my hit drop substantially. That allows me to still put out fairly nice threat while improving my survivability a lot and virtually never miss a tank-swap taunt with the glyph in place.

As always it is nice to have multiple sets if possible, I am currently logged out in my block set. I have 3 tank sets for different situations right now (default, threat, block). I basically just wear my default set for 99% of tanking and my block set for 5mans and anub'arak, I never really wear my threat set since my default puts out fine threat.

I was gonna edit my post to say what Squirrelnut said, but that would have been a waste of time.
    Then I wondered what would happen if I clicked 'mark best answer' on a post. Now I know, could someone please fix it for me?

Thanks.

Yea threat is not the issue I do the most out of any other tank in my guild (not very good others I guess). But I guess from what I have been reading that their is no real benefit other than taunt for hit over expertise after the soft cap in expertise.

Its worth noting that taunt is based on your spell hit chance and not your melee hit so even being melee hit-capped isn't going to guarantee a successful taunt.

+ Reply to Thread