+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trouble tanking Recent

Trouble tanking Recent

I've met with some problems only recently, I did a Toc 10 man and took ALOT of damage spikes, we consistantly wiped on the beasts of northrend untill a paladin took the tanking role then the group managed to down them with no problems...

I really don't know whats the matter and would help if someone gave a little advise maybe i'm missing something.

The World of Warcraft Armory

is my armory link...

I am having the exact same problem. I'll admit, my experience in tanking the instance is not expert, but I think I know how to taunt and rotate my cooldowns on a tank and spank with Gormok the Impaler.

I continued to loose massive chuncks of health, which I ended up switching with a paladin tank with less gear score and about the same experience, and he was relatively easy to keep up.

I'll note that when I was replaced, we then switched to 3 healers instead of 2 and the rogue got hey keyboard to work so he was actually disarming.

Still, the only thing that paladins have over DK is block, but is that really enough to really reduce the damage mitigation?!

I'll have to note that I was then switched back to tanking Lord Jaraxxus
    and I only died when the healers became too occupied to heal me or died, lol.

Gear link WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings

I also looked up Caleb tank gear on wow-heros, and he is noticably better geared then I. WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings

Honestly i'm having the same problem. I know our healer wasn't the greatest but I died at every fight and im well geared. I just dont understand why DK's have such a hard time tanking. Sorry i couldnt see your gear Caleb. I'm looking for the same answer as u both. Here's my toon for the curious : The World of Warcraft Armory

Are the Paladins BoPing themselves when they have two stacks and don't have aggro on Gormok? This will clear their stacks of the debuff and reduce damage by a significant amount.

From what I know block is only REALLY useful when fighting multiple mobs, but i've never been a Tankadin or Protadin, so I don't know from personal experience. Check out my armory... I don't take too much damage in ToC, in fact me and my OT (Well, we switch MT/OT duties depending on the fights) are normally the last ones to die if we wipe.

In TotGC 10 we have pallies BOP the 2 tanks to make sure neither get more than 2 stacks.

Paladins do have block, which is a good damage smoothing mechanic. On top of that, they have Ardent Defender, which significantly increases their effective health while decreasing damage taken.

I'm wondering if your taunt rotation is good. Perhaps you're not having the tanks switch at the proper times? How were you using your cooldowns? Were your healers using their external cooldowns on you? What was killing you, bleed, melee, impale, stomp? Did you use an Indestructible Potion? Did your paladin? Were you or the paladin flasked? Does the guild have a history healing the paladin and are they comfortable with the way in which he takes damage? Can the same be said for you? Was someone keeping a AP debuff on the boss? You don't have a talented Icy touch. Is someone else providing your attack speed debuff for you? What's your buffed Armor?

Need more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    Paladins do have block, which is a good damage smoothing mechanic. On top of that, they have Ardent Defender, which significantly increases their effective health while decreasing damage taken.

I'm wondering if your taunt rotation is good. Perhaps you're not having the tanks switch at the proper times? How were you using your cooldowns? Were your healers using their external cooldowns on you? What was killing you, bleed, melee, impale, stomp? Did you use an Indestructible Potion? Did your paladin? Were you or the paladin flasked? Does the guild have a history healing the paladin and are they comfortable with the way in which he takes damage? Can the same be said for you? Was someone keeping a AP debuff on the boss? You don't have a talented Icy touch. Is someone else providing your attack speed debuff for you? What's your buffed Armor?

Need more information.
    -I'm wondering if your taunt rotation is good. Perhaps you're not having the tanks switch at the proper times?
    --The taunting rotation was fine as far as I know. I called for a taunt when I was @ 2 stacks.

-How were you using your cooldowns?
    --I attempted to use my cooldowns as soon as they were available, though I perhaps should have been more discreet and use when I had agro.

-Were your healers using their external cooldowns on you?
    --We had two priests, and I'm not quite sure what cooldowns you are talking about. I was getting a little tunnel vision while tanking, so I'm not sure how much I was getting renewed, pom, shielded or guardian spirit.

-What was killing you, bleed, melee, impale, stomp?
    --I can not say for sure unforgettably, I can't remember what all killed me.

-Did you use an Indestructible Potion?
    --no
    -Did your paladin?
    --no
    -Were you or the paladin flasked?
    --no; I do not believe so on the paladin

-the guild have a history healing the paladin and are they comfortable with the way in which he takes damage?
    --they are more comfortable healing, he is normally mt or ot for our raids

-Can the same be said for you?
    --they are not used to healing me

-Was someone keeping a AP debuff on the boss?
    --I do not know

-You don't have a talented Icy touch. Is someone else providing your attack speed debuff for you?
    --I have improved icy touch for my character

What's your buffed Armor?
    -- ~26k

Indestructible Potions are a big help there, take 1 right before going into combat, then take another when the first one expires.

Flasking is, um, critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Dep View Post
    -Was someone keeping a AP debuff on the boss?
    --I do not know
    This is usually a must that most people tend to forget... Thunderclap + Demo Shout helps loads. If you don't have a warrior, get a lock to slap him curse of weakness.

Regarding the healers not being used to healing you... that will get fixed by itself once they get used to "how" you take damage and when (so to speak).

+ Reply to Thread