+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can I get some looks at my tanking?

Can I get some looks at my tanking?

The World of Warcraft Armory

This is my main and pretty much my only character, my others never getting past 30. What is the best thing I can do at the point? I just got my Peacekeeper's Blade today, and looking at Conquest gear, I can't see too many big upgrades other than 100 health or so. I've been doing raids 3 weeks now, OT then MT Naxx 10, OT Naxx 25, and I OTed a little for the first time on Ulduar 10 this past week. Is Naxx 25 and Ulduar 10 my best bet for getting gear right now?
    Also if someone can look at my talent spec. It's pretty much my own unique tree. I've based it mainly about of course health but a big emphasis on damage as well to help keep aggro, I use Seal of Corruption. Any advice on what I should do would be sweet.

P.S. I would have the newest gems in slot, but I only have 1500 gold and don't even have artisian flying yet. I guess I should be doing more dailies.

Mufassaa

Unfortunately it looks as though you've logged out in your Ret spec, so the only way I can see your stuff is through a cached profile on wow-heroes.com, therefore I apologise if you've already done some of the things I'm going to suggest.

The first and most critical thing I can suggest is to enchant your gear. This is absolutely essential for anyone who wants to raid. It doesn't look like you've even started getting your Sons of Hodir rep up - this is absolutely essential for the shoulder enchant so make unlocking the dailies and getting it to exalted a matter of top priority. The dailies are actually quite fun and give you a nice bit of gold for your trouble so it's worth doing them.

Second thing is to level your professions. By not having Blacksmithing sockets and not having Mining maxed out you're missing out on 120 Stamina! For a Paladin that's about 1,500 health or so that you're not currently getting. It's vitally important to have your professions levelled to maximise your character's potential.

For the rest of your enchants, you need Frosthide Leg Armor on legs and 22 Stamina on boots. Your other slots have some options depending on what you need. For cloak, one of Titanweave, Major Agility or Mighty Armor. For gloves you want Armsman (only if you have low threat), Major Agility, Precision or a Heavy Borean Armor Kit. Finally for your weapon, Accuracy (threat), Exceptional Agility (always there avoidance), Mongoose (high avoidance on proc), Blood Draining (a little survivability) or Blade Ward (I don't like this one, but it adds avoidance on proc).

Gear upgrades-wise, you can get Platinum Mesh Cloak for Emblems of Valor (trade down your Emblems of Conquest) which will serve you well for a long time. You can also get Shieldwarder Girdle, Kyzoc's Ground Stompers and Bracers of Dalaran's Parapets, all of which represent nice upgrades. You may also want to run Azjol Nerub Heroic for Essence of Gossamer so you're ready to go with dual Stam trinkets as soon as your Defense is high enough (not a lot of Def on early Naxx gear though, so it may be a little while before you can, especially with Mark of the Relentless).

As for your Glyphs, you want Glyph of Seal of Vengeance there for threat - it is absolutely the best option here in that regard. Keep Glyph of Divine Plea. Finally Glyph of Judgement for single-target threat or Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous if you're tanking groups of mobs. Given that you're mainly in Naxx, HotR might be worth keeping until you get to Ulduar. You also want to pick up Glyph of Lay on Hands (reduced cooldown on your extra life :P) and Glyph of Sense Undead for added damage/threat against Undead mobs (ie. all of Naxx).

Your spec is okay, but given that most of Naxx is Undead, you'll get much higher threat from a 0/53/18 build that goes down to 3/3 Crusade. By going this way you also get 2/2 Persuit of Justice for run speed and 2/2 Vindication for a strong auto-applied debuff on bosses that will mean you take less incoming damage. This is the build I use personally: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft.

Hope that helps but let me know if you need anything else at all. Good luck

Why not add Koralon 10m and 25m to your weekly raids? With him and doing the heroic daily 7 days a week, you can get 18 emblems of triumph plus a chance at any T9 gear Koralon drops.

I just put on my new gear, sorry about that. I got on last night after posting and forgot to swap my gear back to tank. I have some of the upgrades you mentioned, but I'm not sure which boots you saw, etc.
    Thanks for the memo about the Sons of Hodir, I just heard about the shouulder enchant by a friend yesterday, but wasn't sure what type of any upgrade it would be. 120 stam would be huge, I didn't reaalize how much stam they actually gave.

So I changed my gear, if you could give it one more look just so I can know the best place to get better gear. In the mean time, I'll be mining and getting rep :P

To clarify, Sons of Hodir gives 20 Dodge and 15 Defense Rating - the 120 Stam I mentioned comes from your professions - Mining at max level gives the passive buff "Toughness", which grants an additional 60 Stamina and Blacksmithing gives you two additional sockets for your gear which can each hold an epic-quality 30 Stam gem, for a total of 60 Stam from Blacksmithing.

As for your gear, I see you've got quite a few upgrades since the cache I looked at on wow-heroes. I don't have time to have a proper look just now unfortunately, but I'll try and respond a bit later once I've had the chance

You seem to have picked your gear well, even though I hate defense trinkets, and I think naxx 25 and Ulduar 10 should give you more gear as you go along.
    Try to convince your guildies to go Ulduar 25 and ToC 10 too, it's a bit more of a challenge, but generally well worth your time.

Your spec can use some improvement, though.
    If you are on offtank duty, Divine sacrifice is a kickass skill. Even when maintanking there are a lot of situations where it's quite good.
    Reckoning isn't worth the talent points.
    First of all, your weapon is too fast for it - you'll only get six seconds out of it (4 attacks at 1.5 speed), and for 5 points, you can get a lot more value by dipping deeper into ret.
    I'd move one point from improved judgements into benediction. The advantage you get from benediction is very small, but it's still bigger then what you get from 2/2 improved judgements (which should be none.)
    (I only realized this recently. A tiny advantage is still better then nothing.)

Vindication and pursuit of Justice are nice talents to have.

There are better glyphs available as well - you should not need the HotR or SA glyphs, so replace them with something usefull like SoV/Taunt glyphs.

Thanks alot! I hate the defense trinket myself, but at the moment I am not defense capped without it. Perhaps once I get my shoulder enchant it can put me over the mark.

I've been looking at Divine Sacrifice more every time I look at my spec, but I just haven't been sure what to replace it with. I'm glad you told my about reckoning, I have yet to have anyone mention it's pros or cons yet.

But thanks alot for all the help! My best friend on WoW was my guild leader before we swapped servers. He's a warrior MT, but the guild didn't have a paladin tank so he got me to come. He knows everything there is about warrior tanking, but I haven't known too many prot paladins that knew how I could get the best rotation. I'm definately going to use this advice.

Well, you are in luck there - paladin and warrior tanking are similar in execution.
    I learned to tank from a warrior, dk and druid at the same time, all advice helps and should be taken into consideration, so ask your friend to tell you what you did right and wrong, and how you could improve.
    Ask the same of a healer and dps in your raid. You need people that are both good at their task and you know to be honest. (Since they may have to tell you you did things wrong.)
    I always make clear I like feedback, and it has improved my tanking considerably.

+ Reply to Thread