+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Healadin to a Tankadin. "HALP"

Healadin to a Tankadin. "HALP"

Ive been a healadin for about 3-4 Years and ive recently made the adjustment to Tanking for my 10m Groups. (Heroic and Normal)

What im mainly looking for advice on is, Rotation, Should i be gemming diffrently, What pieces of gear (apart from the helm) Should i focus on replacing asap? and most importantly what ADDONS will help tanking.

This is my armory The World of Warcraft Armory

My current spec i took, was to try and maximize my TPS, mainly because all of the DPS in my 10m do 5k+ and our lock was just wrecking me.

Also, I am OT Beasts (Until Icehowl) MT Jaraxxus and OT for Anub, in ULD i generally MT most of while OT goes kitty.

At work so I can not see your spec. I assume you have the threat buff up

DPS need to watch threat meter if they are pulling 5K they have to wait until you lock in aggro better and not worry so much about being top on recount. If this is a guild buddy let them know that, or let them watch the fight face down on the floor a few times and tell them to start watching omen it is getting through to more people that DPS set their own fate and you can not blame the tank when they pull aggro off.

Seach the forum by author "Jere" it has the 969 rotation listed and detailed explanations.

Make sure you are using Seal of Vengence (horde name) and glyph for this as well (for bosses, I use different seal for trash).

I have the threat enchant for my gloves it adds 2% as of right not I have 31K hp unbuffed so it works for me.

Also threat wise I believe this is why you go for 3 of 3 in crusader under the ret tree.

You can look at my talent tree I like it others don't it is 98% what everyone recommends as everyone seems to have feelings and reasons for 5-6 points that are in different areas. I don't have to many issues with threat. My gear is so/so I need to work on the enchants and patch some holes but I get the job done.

This being said you need to make sure you have both taunts hot keyed they will need to be used nothing is 100%.

Okay, first things first.
    Spec.
    Lose Reckoning and 4 points from conviction. Get Judgements of the just, pursuit of justice and vindication. Divine sacrifice is optional, but I always take it. With points left over, fill up crusade. If you still have points left, seals of the pure should be more threat then conviction.

Glyphs.
    All your three major glyps do nothing for single-target threat (the only kind that really matters in most boss fights.) Get glyphs for seal of vengeance, divine plea and judgements.
    (Judgements is optional, but it's the best choice in my opinion. Check out my own glyph and spec if you like.)

Rotation.
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...-rotation.html
    Go there, read it. It's all you need to know about your rotation as a prot pally.

Gear enhancement.
    Make sure you are at or above the defense minimum at all times. Get stam on almost every place. Some defense over the minimum won't hurt, it's a very good thing in fact.
    (Again, check out my own enchants for an idea.)
    You can't go wrong with gemming for stamina, and you should ignore socket bonuses for the most part. The only exceptions are 12 stam socket bonuses that only require a single nonblue gem to activate. In those situations you should put in a stamina/othercolor gem, since you'll only lose 3 stamina from it. (Assuming you use epic gems, you don't lose any stamina if you use nonepic gems.)
    (Make sure you have a red gem for activating your meta - the prismatic epic gem works for that, but other choices are just as good or better.)

Pick up every tanking upgrade you get, within reason. Since you seem to be the only plate tank in your raid, you should be swimming in gear in no time flat.
    The 'within reason' part is important - it's very handy if you have a warrior or dk with a good tanking offspec in the raid.

Addons.
    Omen shows you how close your dps are to pulling aggro (so how well you are building threat.)
    A boss mod is very handy - knowing when something is going to happen can help a lot.
    Pally power isn't directly tank-related, but a great addon.
    An enemy castbar mod to give you BIG cast bars. It helps with interrupting, and makes some fights a lot easier.
    Recount can give you an overview of all damage and healing intake for the last few seconds before you died. While not perfect, it can tell you why you died, and if you did something wrong or someone else.
    I use pitbull for raid frames, my characters hp, target, targetoftarget, focus and focustarget. I use all of them heavily while fighting.
    (Check some of the movies made from a tank point of view to get an idea as to how to configure them - there are a lot of threads about it around here too.)
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f120/...ial-links.html

Read the guides here for additional information.
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...s-listing.html
    Last edited by Martie; 09-17-2009 at 02:09 PM.

I am not 100% sure on how good the gear in ToC 10 is. I would recommend that Eitrigg's Oath be replaced with the Jewelcrafting Tank Trinket. This will give you a bit of a boost in HP and give you an on-command type dodge bonus (with full stam gems inserted you would get about a 1.4k health increase. This being one of the gems your third JC 51 stam gem you haven't used yet). Also ditch some of the dodge gems for parry gems. You are getting plenty of dodge and that isn't including the Libram, but each additional point I believe will suffer more and more from DR. Your parry is quite low in comparison with not reaching the DR point. You should get a bit more benefit per rating point going Parry/Stam than the Dodge/stam..

You can upgrade your back piece with the Valor Badge Platinum Mesh Cloak. Also your hit is quite low so the conquest neck piece would be nice to raise your hit rating up quite a bit. Also looked at your glove enchant, not sure if you are struggling on threat but also the +20 hit rating would not be a bad option if you need additional hit.
    Last edited by Tazlex; 09-18-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazlex View Post
    I am not 100% sure on how good the gear in ToC 10 is. I would recommend that Eitrigg's Oath be replaced with the Jewelcrafting Tank Trinket. This will give you a bit of a boost in HP and give you an on-command type dodge bonus (with full stam gems inserted you would get about a 1.4k health increase. This being one of the gems your third JC 51 stam gem you haven't used yet). Also ditch some of the dodge gems for parry gems. You are getting plenty of dodge and that isn't including the Libram, but each additional point I believe will suffer more and more from DR. Your parry is quite low in comparison with not reaching the DR point. You should get a bit more benefit per rating point going Parry/Stam than the Dodge/stam..

You can upgrade your back piece with the Valor Badge Platinum Mesh Cloak. Also your hit is quite low so the conquest neck piece would be nice to raise your hit rating up quite a bit. Also looked at your glove enchant, not sure if you are struggling on threat but also the +20 hit rating would not be a bad option if you need additional hit.
    at 5% hit, on Beast heroic i missed 3x thru out the entire encounter, As for the dodge stam gems, thats just what i had the cut for when i thru my gear together, they will all be replaced with the +30 Stam gems shortly, I do have the JC trinket, which i switch on for most boss fights, the Oath is on for farming atm. (gogo converted heroes)

My current glyph setup was mainly for General since i was having alot of mana issues on him, i generally have Judgement/Veng.

Ty so much for the help so far guys!

+ Reply to Thread