+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To Socket Bonus or To Not

To Socket Bonus or To Not

Ok so I am slowly being out geared by my offtank because he has hacking rolls, and I notice he, as well as everyone else stacks 30 stam in everything.

Now I stack 30 stam everywhere thats not red just about, but should when I see a socket bonus worth 6 stam, I tend to put a 15 stam 10 def rating gem in. Should I forgo the small amount of def rating for the 9 stamina?

.09% dodge .07% parry, doesnt seem like much but the def buffer is always nice, and it does add up.

Tankspots thoughts?

And by these thoughts does that also mean to not gem dodge/stamina and keep on going with 30 stam gems?

In my opinion, it depends on the socket bonus and the socket colors.

When I gem for progress, I leave out boni like +8 dodge or +6 def, I also don't even try to reach my +6 stamina bonus, when there is a red and a yellow socket in it.

Assuming that there is a +9 stamina bonus for ex. a blue and a red socket, it may be worth taking it.

On my aggro gear however, it's no real problem to go for some boni since hit/sta or exp/sta are very sensible choices. I even reccomend not to waste some potential by not using these boni. Anyway if your goal is to max out your HP pool, better drop some.

It's not sensible to take a blanket statement of "always match sockets" or "+30 stam in everything, never match sockets". You need to balance your stats on a per-piece basis.

If you're building an all-round set: Maintain a decent level of hit and expertise, then gem for stam.

If you prefer to go stam then make sure you offset your low threat stats by eating the appropriate food.

With ToC gear I notice my hit plummeting, so now in those yellow socket go "vivid" +hit/+stam gems and as a bonus I get more socket bonusses.

I pretty much always used the pure Stam gems. However, I am now finding that my HP is getting crazy high, so I have started socketing correct colours to match the bonus - usually a dodge/stam for red and def/stam for yellow (although I am about to regem some of those for hit/stam).

For me it was dependent on my overall gear level - I felt able to trage some HP for avoidance.

Since every slot can get a +stam + something gem, You'll rarely see a situation where a survival socket bonus isn't worth getting.

I match for +9 stam but not +6 stam on red. It comes down to 9 stamina vs 10 dodge rating. I'm currently getting my butt kicked by Heroic gormok so for me 9 stam wins. 6 stam vs 10 dodge is crossing the line for me, but I can easily understand someone making the trade.

On yellow, since my +hit is dropping at an alarming rate, I'll grab +6 stam bonus with a Vivid gem. Might just get glyph of taunt and keep the same policy as red.

In BC I almost never went after a socket bonus, but as a new 80 tank in WotLK I'm finding the socket bonuses to help with trying to keep 540 def, etc. So far I have gone after all the socket bonuses because they have been def or stam related. Not sure I'd go after a hit or expertise bonus, at least at my level of gear.

Another thing to look at (correct me if I heard wrong) is to try and get the hit, expertise, and def on enchants to free up your gem slots for +30 stuff. Then the only time to socket for the bonus is probably if you need more def or the stam bonus is 9+.

+ Reply to Thread