+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP Gear Advice

PvP Gear Advice

I've fooled around in BG's for a long time, but now I'm finally starting to get more interested in doing some PvP and Arena. I'm currently building a PvP set, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for some good upgrades.

My current setup is The World of Warcraft Armory

Right now the plan is to eventually swap over to Polearm over Sword spec (haven't been able to get EITHER Edge of Ruin or Marrowstrike to drop yet... :-( ), so I know that I need a weapon upgrade.

My current plan is to get the Titan-Forged Legguards of Triumph (40 WG marks), the Titangrasp and Furious Gladiator Rings, the Furious Gladiator Boots, Bracers, and Cloak of Triumph... the necklace I got on a drop from VoA, although I probably wouldn't have picked the +Hit one if I bought it.

Does that sound like a wise gear selection? Some choices are relatively obvious , but in terms of the Titan-guard legs vs. the Deadly Gladiator legs, for example, or whether or not I should swap in resilience trinkets, some pve gear in certain slots, etc. Any advice would be welcome, as I don't really want to do actual ranked Arena matches until I have at least quasi-decent gear.

(If this should be in a different forum topic, let me know, but it looked like gear-related questions belong here).
    Last edited by Eravian; 09-09-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Make sure you have 5% hit cap for PvP. That means you may need to get victory instead of triumph.

I would also suggest trying to do as much arena as possible regardless of your gear. You will get better and get your team up.

Indeed, until probably 1200 or so there's no downside at all to just playing. Even then you only lose a couple points per loss and gain staggering amounts for a win.

Plus higher rating = better honor gear, too.

Hmm... good advice. It think the WG items (belt, leggings), my necklace, and a Weapon chain should keep me hit capped at 5%. How important is Expertise for PvP? I know less Expertise means more Overpower chance, but I also know that (in PvE at least), Overpower doesn't add up to a missed Mortal Strike... just curious. I also wasn't really aware that there's not really a major penalty to losses in earlier ranks... don't know a whole lot about how the rankings are calculated, I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tips! I'll probably start up ranked matches this weekend.

moved to pvp forum.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Eravian View Post
    Hmm... good advice. It think the WG items (belt, leggings), my necklace, and a Weapon chain should keep me hit capped at 5%. How important is Expertise for PvP? I know less Expertise means more Overpower chance, but I also know that (in PvE at least), Overpower doesn't add up to a missed Mortal Strike... just curious. I also wasn't really aware that there's not really a major penalty to losses in earlier ranks... don't know a whole lot about how the rankings are calculated, I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tips! I'll probably start up ranked matches this weekend.
    Expertise is not a stat you will stack specifically for PvP. It reduces the chance your enemy has to dodge or parry your attacks but this number with players is not static like it is bosses. Hunters and rogues have a high chance to dodge so you could not possibly stack enough expertise to reliably counter it. Druids cannot parry so it is a half wasted stat on them (but can still dodge pretty good so you still wont cap out). Unlike hit, expertise will not always give you the same gain against an opponent up to a certain number and so it isn't a stat you want to push for. If you get it, cool. If you can't, whatever.

Changing subject slightly, the leggings from 40 WG marks are equivalent to the furious glad legging (in ilevel and stat distribution, and generally considered to be better itemized), so they most definitely trump your deadly legs. If you happen to pick up legs from somewhere else first (Koralon?) then thats cool, but until then these will be a respectable upgrade for your marks.

Also, you should keep in mind that all of the Relentless Gladiator accessories are available from honor and you only require a rating of like 1800 to get EVERY piece. Even if you are terrible you wont lose points going upwards of the 1500 rating against other teams. As long as you can make the grind to get there, you will be able to buy at least half of all the PvP items.

EDIT: Removed a piece because you are a smelly human with overpowered racials.
    Last edited by Magnuss; 09-10-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Along similar lines as my earlier questions: I'm currently using Mirror of Truth and Darkmoon Card: Death as my trinkets, since my Human Racial let's me get out of CC. I'd like to get the Banner of Victory and Grim Toll, but since I'm a tank in my primary spec, it's much less likely that Grim Toll will fall into my hands. How valuable are the resilience trinkets for me to use, since i don't need the CC release? Would trinkets like Anvil of Titans and Darkmoon Card:Berserker be better for me than what I have currently, or should I stick with the Death card and the Mirror? Any trinket advice would be helpful. The link to my armory is above (and I realize I'm well over Hit cap right now, but I'll lose hit as I replace my weapon, swap out the Victory for the Sundering neck piece, and replace both rings with the Furious and the Titangrasp ones).

+ Reply to Thread