+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ulduar Algalon

Ulduar Algalon

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena
    Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Ulduar raid guide! My name is Aliena and in this video I'll go over the strategy we use for the 25-man version of Algalon, the hard-mode only encounter that's unlocked by defeating the hard modes of all four keepers.

If you'd like more information or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Subscribe button to the right. You will be automatically notified as we release movies that way.

Just like its 10-man version, Algalon is on a 1-hour encounter timer per raid-lockout period. This means once you first engage Algalon, he will despawn exactly 60 minutes later, whether or not you're currently in combat with him. Should you be in the middle of an attempt at that time, he'll cast Ascend to the Heavens, wiping your raid.

Algalon is a straightforward 2-phase encounter and the biggest obstacles to this fight are the extreme amounts of tank damage he deals and the raid awareness this fight requires from every raid member. He's on a fairly tight 6 minute enrage timer, so having people die is a no-no.

Algalon attacks very quickly and deals around 24k main-hand as well as 13k offhand damage, so you definitely want to bring two to three full-time tank healers. Along with that, we also take 3 raid healers that take care of collapsing stars damage.

All of Algalon's abilities are on a strict timer. Every 15 seconds he'll use phase punch on his main threat target, which inflicts another 10k damage and stacks up to 5 times, at which point the target will be phased into the shadow realm. We perform a tank switch at 3-4 stacks and let the debuff wear off to avoid the phase altogether.

Periodically, Algalon will summon collapsing stars. Thirty seconds after engaging him he'll summon the first set of four. As their name indicates, they collapse by themselves, but you want to assign one ranged dps to kill them and speed up the process as well as regulate when they die. That person is responsible for marking the star currently being killed so other people know to get away from it as well as making sure that no star dies right as Cosmic Smash happens.

Once a star dies, it deals around 16k raid damage and leaves a black hole on the ground that serves as a portal to the shadow realm. These are useful for one reason, and one reason only - Big Bang. Big Bang is Algalon's main ability that he uses every 90 seconds. It has an 8-second cast time and, once cast, will inflict 110k damage on anyone remaining in the normal realm. The catch is that if no one remains in the normal realm, Algalon will instead cast Ascend to the Heavens which is an instant raid wipe. To counteract that, you need to have one person NOT take a black hole and instead survive the Big Bang with a cooldown.

A shadow priest with dispersion glyph works beautifully because he can dispersion every Big Bang, but other cooldowns such as Guardian Spirit or tank cooldowns work as well as long the person remaining doesn't die. Regardless of who you assign, everyone else needs to take a black hole to get phased out before the Big Bang cast finishes. Also, while you're in the shadow realm, do make sure not to walk onto where another black hole is positioned in the normal realm, or you'll instantly get phased back into the shadow realm and will most likely die to the Dark Matter mobs.

Once you get phased back out, make sure the tank transition goes smoothly while healers are relocating to their original positions. We have tank healers stand away from the rest of the raid so the chances of them having to move for Cosmic Smash are smaller.

Cosmic Smash are the void zone-looking circles that pop up every 25 seconds after engaging the event. They spawn in sets of three at the feet of random raid members and inflict damage based on one's proximity towards them. If you see one popping up close to you, it's essential that you move at LEAST 10 yards away from it. Should anyone fail to move and stand in one, they'll be lifted up into the air and will most certainly die from a combination of cosmic smash & fall damage.

The funny looking data balls moving around are called Living Constellations. Mostly they're just annoying, but they can also be used to close black holes by moving a constellation on top of one. This should be done by the tank that's not currently tanking to keep the numbers of constellations as well as black holes at bay. Other than that, they just aggro to random people and use Arcane Barrage.

All these elements of the fight keep repeating until Algalon hits 20% health and phase 2 starts. Any currently open black holes, stars and living constellations will disappear, but four new black holes will pop up in set positions of the room. Make sure raid members either stay towards the middle or the walls of the room to avoid getting phased out when that happens.

Every 30 seconds, 4 unleashed dark matters will spawn, one from each black hole. Your off-tank needs to pick those up and hold them, since at this point it's a DPS race to burn down Algalon before your main tank reaches 5 stacks of phase punch and gets phased out. It's advised to perform a tank switch right before the 20% mark so you have the most possible time - about 45 seconds - to burn Algalon.

Be aware that Cosmic Smash still happens in phase 2 and also make sure to be prepared for one last Big Bang should your DPS be slow. Once Algalon hits about 3% health, he'll disappear and leave a tasty chest.

Thanks for watching this movie! As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- so if you'd like to learn more about that, just click the second link in the movie information box!
    Last edited by Aliena; 01-25-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Woot, can't wait
    [Persianmessenger] whispers: This is blasphemy! This is Madness!
    To [Persianmessenger]: Madness? This is TANKSPOT!

Just reading what I read, he sounds painful. 110k damage. Eesh.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Lol <3 Aliena

She said face punch. Much better ability imo.

Rofl! I suppose I did. I had to proofread the script too. "Phase Bunch" and "Bing Bang" snuck in.

Strategy is right apart from 1 thing:
    "Every 30 seconds, 4 unleashed dark matters will spawn, one from each black hole. Your off-tank needs to pick those up and hold them, since at this point it's a DPS race to burn down Algalon before your main tank reaches 5 stacks of phase punch and gets phased out."

It is not a dps race to burn him down. You can still swap Algalon tanks just as before. The only problem is the tank will have 4 adds on him, but it really isn't that much more damage.

By the time they'd have to switch he'd have 8 adds, which would be dangerously close to the enrage timer and quite a bit of damage. In fact, that's what happened to us the week before and was close to a wipe.

While it's of course possible to perform a switch if you missed it at the start of the phase, it tends to add quite a bit of complication imo.

Awsome guide but i have one question, HOW tasty was the chest?

So, at 20% if it's a dps race, you have to down him to 1-2% in 45 seconds. What's the average dps per raid member have to do? (accounting in just dps and 1 tank).

full raid dps in my raids at 20% and under is generally 1% or so per 2 seconds, so 20% -> 1-2% is doable but that assumes full raid survival, and no debuffs/etc that are included in the fight.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Need to ask, We tried it for the first time this week, Now i am a War Tank in almost full tier 9.25 gear 40k hp unbuffed (50k) buffed, He was hitting like a truck, is it worth while to go back to the tier 8 with block on the gear, to help mitigate the damage.
    Our second Tank was a DK which i also hear is bad for the fight.
    First time not to bad, getting used to the mechanics of the fight but we only got him down to 70%, Tanks were to squishy healers could not keep up.
    Sorry this is 10 man to not 25 man.
    Last edited by RiftChaos; 11-24-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: 10 man

Like I said in the other thread, you're gonna get hit like a dump truck, tell your healers to get ready for a healing fight and unfortunately you have to save your CDs for big bangs, so.... sadly it's just about getting ready for the big hits and surviving it. block won't help you when the boss is hitting for 20k every second.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

+ Reply to Thread